WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

John Carter announced on FB (Read 6287 times)
Jan 17th, 2013 at 1:33pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

John Carter has been added to the thon.  I really enjoyed this when t came out and  am looking forward to seeing it with the marathoids.  The move was short-changed by the makers, in my opinion.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcV7aXL8txU
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:54pm by Frank »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:15pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Can they run it in the new version of 3-D at the Somerville? Smiley

We intentionally missed it first run in the hopeful anticipation of seeing it at the 'thon. I'm a big fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books. During his lifetime, many critics and readers considered the "John Carter" series superior to "Tarzan of the Apes".

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:40pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Not on that screen (I think only screen #5 is set up for 3D).  Not missing much, though; it's a post-conversion job which is capable enough but not essential.

It's not bad; I think I'd enjoy it a lot more without the bookends (once you hit the end of the movie, end it!).

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 1:47pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:40pm:
Not on that screen (I think only screen #5 is set up for 3D).

Correct!  And I have it looking very good in there.
     For digital.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 11:06pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

It'll be a good chance for the film to shed its loser reputation. For some reason critics and a lot of sites jumped on this as being a disaster. It may have failed at the boxoffice but it's a not a bad film at all.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 1:00pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Remember SF-22 when the 1957 Roger Corman/Beverly Garland/Dick Miller version of "Not of this Earth" was promised and the Traci Lords version was delivered?

Be thankful that didn't happen to "John Carter of Mars"!

Princess of Mars (2009)

John Carter --- Antonio Sobato Jr.
Deja Thoris ---Traci Lords
Tars Tarkis* --- Matt Lasky
Sola --- Noelle Perris
Tal Hajus --- Mitchell Gordon
Sab Than --- Chacko Vadaketh

The good news is that it got three stars. The bad news is it was out of TEN. Wink

Quote:
Actual plot summary from the IMDB:
"John Carter (Antonio Sabato Jr.) is some kind of lone soldier in the middle east who looks at everyone through the scope on his rifle, until one day he gets shot a bunch of times and the government decides to reconstruct him on another planet for some reason. Naked and surrounded by hostile aliens, John Carter must fight for survival as aliens try to kill him and/or make him eat bugs. John Carter does NOT WANT TO EAT BUGS."

Go ahead and run this version Garen and LA. I DARE YOU!
Cheesy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1531911/

*From Tars Tarkis' own website:
http://tarstarkas.net/2010/01/princess-of-mars/
(includes pictures)

21st Century Man
IP Logged