WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Getting Ready for the 'Thon (Read 20935 times)
Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 7:08pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I never see it mentioned in what to bring but a great thing to have along is a small flashlight.
Remember even between the movies it's kind of dark if you're looking for something you dropped.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:00pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Right on Bunnyman!
I've learned. It's amazing how sure that you know where something is, and it isn't there.

I'd also like to speak to the advantages of sleep.
At the Cleveland Marathon (admittedly of 30 hours duration),  I learned that trying to gut it out most often results in dozing through the most interesting flic on the schedule. LA and others are probably more skilled than I in controlling the tides of Morpheus. Congrats. I and most others aint.
My 29 year old son skipped the last Cleveland Marathon as he had "Slept through half of the movies at the whole ---" the previous year.
Most people doze. So plan ahead. Consciously choose a film or two that you have seen or even enjoyed and stay awake for the joy of the new.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 4:31am

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

Stuart wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 4:29pm:
One year I ate a whole package of chocolate covered espresso beans.  The combination of tired and wired made me feel ill enough to go home, where I was still too spent to stay awake and too jittery to fall asleep.  For me it was the worst 'thon (SF21, I think).

Yeah, at SF/24 I pretty much had a cup of coffee after every movie up until 10:00 pm or so. Then I realized what the hell I'd done and backed off. Was wired the entire night. I nearly made it but crashed just as Dark City was starting. Watched the light swing back and forth across the bathroom and that was it for me. Staggered home on the T, lesson learned!

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:38am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

If you plan on waiting in line, dress warmly and in layers.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 12:54am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

As I noted, it isn't for everyone.

BUT
, I do want to caution those, particularly newcomers, from GOING INTO the Marathon with the attitude that "I'm not going to make it! No way! I'm sleeping!"

I truly believe that is a self-fullfilling defeatist attitude. WHY would you look at the schedule and say, for example,
"2001 is on at 2am. I love that film, but, there is NO way I'm going to last until then! No Way!"

If 2001 is indeed one of your all-time favorites, why wouldn't you so psych yourself up that you just run on adreneline?

Like I said, if you can't you can't. Just don't make it a fait accompli by giving up BEFORE you even enter the theater is my advice.

pogo wrote on Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:00pm:
...I'd also like to speak to the advantages of sleep.
At the Cleveland Marathon (admittedly of 30 hours duration),  I learned that trying to gut it out most often results in dozing through the most interesting flic on the schedule. LA and others are probably more skilled than I in controlling the tides of Morpheus. Congrats. I and most others aint.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 5:26pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Lile wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:38am:
If you plan on waiting in line, dress warmly and in layers.

At one time there was a group of fans who'd be in line the NIGHT BEFORE the marathon.
Back when we were at the Coolidge Corner my friends & I would stay down the street at the Holiday Inn in order to get to the marathon early. We'd swing by the theater on the way in and see folks in line. One year there was sub-zero windchill but still fans were there. Contained in insulated pods, but still there in line waiting.
And you remember what a wind tunnel the Coolidge waiting area was.
Any brave marathoids still getting in line that early?   

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 6:52pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

These day I aim for 8:00 / 8:30ish.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 10:11pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Ah yes the Damnation Alley years as I named them.  There were several groups vying to be first and I admit it got a little out of hand but it did lead to the formation of a terrific coalition and all of this has morphed into the Dick Miller Fan Club.  Soem years we had tents, some years we had industrial propane heaters.  Several times we were mistaken for homeless folks.  You will still find most of us in the front row and many of us still attend.  Some of us still get there early enough to be first.  How early? That would be telling.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 5:34pm

Drew   Offline
YaBB Newbies
@drawnonglass
Somerville, MA

Couple of recommendations for where to get food quickly (i.e. 20 minutes or less between things ) -- Boston Burger Co. just across from the theater, or if you're not of the carnivorous persuasion, the Blue Shirt cafe at the Davis sq end of Highland has wraps and cookies and similar things, lot of vegetarian options). Someone I was talking to at the 'fest also recommended Cafe Barada -- on Mass Ave at the other end of Dover St.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 9:15pm

Rich Bartlett   Offline

Café Barrada Nikto sounds like it would be the perfect place for us.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 9:17pm

Rich Bartlett   Offline

My crew should be in line shortly after 8:30 am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2