WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Official FESTIVAL films discussion thread 2013 (Read 39876 times)
Reply #15 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:42pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:28pm:
If I understand Feckbook correctly,
both the 'festival and 'thon are playing

"The Ghastly Love of Johnny X"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umH1IhuWchY

It was Kevin McCarthy's last film and looks like a Larry Blamire film but isn't.

I don't see it as part of the Festival, just the Marathon as quoted from Facebook: "I don't see "The Ghastly Love of Johnny X" listed on the schedule. Is it no longer being screened?
Boston Sci-Fi Fest : Ghastly is part of The 'Thon which has a different schedule, that will be out shortly."

And, I
PRAY
to Deity of your choice that this is NOT like a Blamire film - please, no!!!!!!!!!

But, looking at the trailer - no such luck....... Cry
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:57pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 12:50pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 29th, 2013 at 7:00pm:
So, of the feature films announced for the FESTIVAL, which one would you all like to see play the MARATHON as well?

Least??

Having just looked them over to put them the database that the site I review for uses...  Ugh.  Mars et Avril, Escape from Tomorrow, and When Time Becomes a Woman are the only ones that look like they're getting much positive response at all, and they've all got issues:  Mars is in French, Escape might not want to go before a good chunk of its local audience before it gets an actual run, and Time looks very artsy indeed.

Least?  The History of Future Folk, which I really wish was playing on the 14th so I could skip out for Girl Crazy on the Somerville's big screen.  Space Milkshake looks terrible, but bright and glossy enough to maybe work for the crowd.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 8:07pm

Joe Neff   Offline

From a pure hype standpoint, ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW is a get.  It's probably the most controversial film to come out of Sundance this year, and might be headed for a prolonged legal dispute with Disney (almost all of it was filmed surreptitiously in Disney parks, and the subject matter is (ahem) naughty.)

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 5:57pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

According to the IMDb: "Space Milkshake" makeup artist Tracy George has 56 film credits and was nominated for a Gemini award for "The Englishman's Boy" (2008).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954843/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Notice the amazing job transforming George Takei for his role:

Or it could be just another of those internet myths that I'm creating now. Wink

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 4:28pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

It hasn't been officially tweeted/FBed/whatever by the Fest yet, but since the Somerville Theatre is closing at 6pm tomorrow, that means opening night is being rescheduled.  The Somerville Theatre's website says they plan to open at 1:15pm on Saturday, so I expect we'll be getting a Marathon warm-up as they try and cram Mars et Avril and The Final Shift in before 5pm.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 10:10am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Hmmm...  It looks like Escape From Tomorrow (the high-profile Sundance selection that was probably the most exciting thing on the program) has been quietly dropped from the schedule, replaced by a second screening of Found in Time.

Of course, it's not like this was announced, just like Garen hasn't bothered to say anything about when Mars et Avril and The Final Shift will play since the Theatre will be closed today, even though the theater's website points to the bostonsci-fi page for more information.  Got time to post goofy pictures on the account's Facebook page, though!

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 12:39am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Quick rundown of what played today (which had a roughly 50% match to what was on the schedule at various times!):

The Final Shift:  A local production, and it's nice to have those as part of the festival, but...  It's pretty awful.  It's an action movie where almost no blows ever seem to connect, the acting is muted even when a little panicky overacting would be warranted, and a big sci-fi story just becomes a standoff in a diner.  I don't recommend going to Saturday's screening, because the director will be there, and that's always awkward after a bad movie.

War of the Worlds: The Untold Story:  If you look on IMDB, there's a 2005 version of War of the Worlds by the same director and cast that runs three hours long.  It looks like this is that movie cut down to mostly the special effects sequences (run through a filter to look old-timey), augmented with stock footage and an interview with the main character as an old man.  It's not painful, and the tripod designs are nice, but it's dull, without much in the way of highs and lows for pacing.

Found in Time:  After the previous two, downright capable!  That's damning with faint praise, but this movie, while it has it's problems (slow to get going, a time-changing plot that never really explains itself), has genuinely good performances, a mythology that looks interesting in part because it's not explained in a way that brings the the movie to a crashing halt.  Worth a look.

Earthbound:  While it's got a very familiar plot in "eccentric guy claims to be alien living on earth but it's all in his head or is it?", the execution is pretty good, with Rafe Spall (son of Timothy) and Jenn Murray a lot of fun to watch together.

Mars et Avril:  Bonkers.  I kind of love its future Montreal which is just one crazy thing after another, and while the whole thing does kind of seem like a bunch of weird artists' ideas that have been somewhat haphazardly stitched into a plot, it gets away with it by looking good and never delivering something totally random but also tending to be surprising and fun to look at.

Hopefully, now that the storm is over, things will get somewhat on track.  Of the five movies screened on Sunday, only two were what the schedule said they would be, when the schedule said they would be run.  Several of us came for Mars et Avril at 3:15pm, only to have it not screen until the 9pm slot, and the only information we had on what would screen next was what Dave did for testing between movies.

That is no way to run a festival that you are charging money for and selling individual tickets for.  Running the review screener for Earthbound, complete with "property of XXXX" warnings in the middle of the screen, may have been the best option, but allowing things to get to that situation is just bad.

I swear, I sometimes think Garen & company are more concerned with what goofy graphic they'll put next to an announcement than doing the simple, necessary work of keeping their customers informed of what will (or won't) play in a timely fashion.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 9:51am

Jon   Offline
MA

"Love and Teleportation" seems a good choice for Valentine's Day showing.  I'm just saying... Wink

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:16pm

Paul-R   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I'll Be Blasting You
Lexington, Massachusetts

I missed all the Sunday movies.   Cry

I got to the Somerville Theater around 1 PM after a long hunt for a parking space, but they had not heard from Garen and didn't know when the films would start...if at all on Sunday.  So I was forced to go to a friend's house to play boardgames all day.  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 3:54pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Here is the updated schedule as per the Main website (warning, it's PDF):

http://www.bostonsci-fi.com/files/scifi/Schedule%20SF38%20v%203.0.numbers.pdf

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:57pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 12:39am:
Running the review screener for Earthbound, complete with "property of XXXX" warnings in the middle of the screen, may have been the best option, but allowing things to get to that situation is just bad.

Well, actually, we were sent a DCP of Earthbound, but we couldnt play it, because (typical for these wave-of-the-future digital presentations) the KDM was invalid due to a screw up on the filmmakers' end (the KDM went looking for an invalid CPL).  So I was told to run the screener instead, because that was all we could show.  I did my best with what I was given.
     Do any of you think I'm exaggerating when I say the future is nothing but sucky digital?
     This is the crap that youre all going to be dealing with, folks: crap presentation, crap images, crap motion tracking, crap colour depth.  Suck it up, or start screaming loudly.   Angry

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:34pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I figured as much from the previous day's announcements, but if that was the case, Garen should have just canceled the screening.  I mean, hell, it wasn't on any schedule for Sunday anyway, so it's not like anybody would have been specifically disappointed.

How was what ran Sunday decided/communicated?  Those of us in the theater had absolutely no idea what was going to run next, no matter what we checked on line.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:57pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:57pm:
 Well, actually, we were sent a DCP of Earthbound, but we couldnt play it, because (typical for these wave-of-the-future digital presentations) the KDM was invalid due to a screw up on the filmmakers' end (the KDM went looking for an invalid CPL)...
     Do any of you think I'm exaggerating when I say the future is nothing but sucky digital?...

I'll pay you to "accidently" lose the proper code if FOLKLORE II ever shows up at the Marathon..........

Wink  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 5:28pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Any updates from folks who've attended the screenings?

With all the weather and schedule changes, what has been the ATTENDENCE been like?

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 6:25pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
LA:
Any updates from folks who've attended the screenings?
With all the weather and schedule changes, what has been the ATTENDENCE been like?

Monday's attendance was consistently around eighteen despite some really nasty weather. "Mars et Avril", "Found in Time", and "When Time Becomes a Woman" all had about the same number of attendees. A show of hands revealed that most were going to the Marathon. Those of you who went -remember to vote.

I strongly advise parking at one of the outer Red Line garages like Alewife to the West or Quincy Adams to the south. Parking in Davis Square just isn't going to happen!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3