WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Best/Worst All Time SF Movies:Various lists etc. (Read 23243 times)
Reply #15 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 4:49pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

LA said:

"Actually, BLACK HOLE has NEVER played at the Marathon! (though prints exist). SOLARIS (either version) is missing from you list of never played at the Marathon. Nor has ESCAPE FROM NY (ditto), WESTWORLD (tritto), ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF APES (quaitto), ROLLERBALL (quinitto), PREDATOR (sexitto), AVATAR (septemitto), GHOST IN THE SHELL (octoitto) and E.T. (novemitto).

DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS has not only played - but, twice. All in the first Three years of the event (they must have loved 'em their schlock back in the earliest days!)."

Interestingly, my real Marathon affiliation, Cleveland/CWRU, (27 years vs. 1 year for Boston) has played each and every one of the films you listed - excepting Avatar..
The difference is not one of quality, but of duration.
CWRU is a 36 hour affair. Any thoughts of expanding Boston?

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 12:44am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I saw one of the worst this year. Branded a truly stupid and horrible film made even worse because the director thought he was making a comment on consumerism and big corporation.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 3:48pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

As LA mentioned previously, most of those internet lists of top films are modern heavy.  While not actually science-fiction, this list of vampire films could be, in the words of the Simpsons' Comic Book Guy, The worst episode ever!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/fright-night-twilight-nosferatu-evoluti...

I'll save you clicking on the links.

(15 titles in chronological order)

Quote:
The Evolution of the Vampire Film

"Nosferaru" (1922)
"The Hunger" (1983)
"Fright Night" (1985)
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1992)
"Interview with a Vampire"
"Blade" (1998)
"Queen of the Damned" (2002)
"Shadow of the Vampire"
"Underworld"
Twilight

Notice anything missing? I guess as far as the two film writers responsible know there weren't any notable vampire films between 1922 and 1983! I can't imagine some editor somewhere failing to mention Bela Lugosi, Sir Christopher Lee, William (Blackula) Lee, Jonathan Frid, Klaus Kinski or Frank Langella. Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 4:37pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Geez, at least they could have mentioned Dreyer's '32 VAMPYR if they wanted to get arty.

And, oh, yeah, when I think of "Great Vampire Films", my mind immediately jumps to QUEEN OF THE DAMNED!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

R_F_Fineman wrote on Apr 2nd, 2013 at 3:48pm:
As LA mentioned previously, most of those internet lists of top films are modern heavy.  While not actually science-fiction, this list of vampire films could be, in the words of the Simpsons' Comic Book Guy, The worst episode ever!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/fright-night-twilight-nosferatu-evoluti...

I'll save you clicking on the links.

(15 titles in chronological order)

Quote:
The Evolution of the Vampire Film

"Nosferaru" (1922)
"The Hunger" (1983)
"Fright Night" (1985)
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1992)
"Interview with a Vampire"
"Blade" (1998)
"Queen of the Damned" (2002)
"Shadow of the Vampire"
"Underworld"
Twilight

Notice anything missing? I guess as far as the two film writers responsible know there weren't any notable vampire films between 1922 and 1983! I can't imagine some editor somewhere failing to mention Bela Lugosi, Sir Christopher Lee, William (Blackula) Lee, Jonathan Frid, Klaus Kinski or Frank Langella. Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #19 - May 3rd, 2013 at 9:31am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Tip of the hat to the wilcail on the Ohio site for providing this list:

Twelve Computers Who Are Complete Bastards

1) HAL 9000, 2001: A Space Odyssey

2) Master Control Program, Tron

3) Agent Smith, The Matrix

4) Skynet, Terminator

5) The Ultimate Computer, Superman III

6) Cerebro and the Danger Room, X-Men

7) Proteus IV, Demon Seed

8) Colossus and Guardian, The Forbin Project

9) The Unnamed AI from “Kill Switch,” The X-Files

10) HARDAC: Batman: The Animated Series

11) Emergency Medical Program, Star Trek: Voyager

12) Xoanon, Doctor Who

http://io9.com/12-computers-who-are-complete-bastards-470182756

In fairness to the i09 article they aren't pretending to create a top list. Still, including an animated Batman computer  and one from Star Trek: Voyager while not including the all-time Red Shirt terminator NOMAD from Star Trek TOS or the Queen of the Borg from "Star Trek: First Contact" is pretty bush league.

As is often the case, the outraged comments are the best part of these sort of things.  People get picky. Is a robot a computer? Does a dumb or misguided computer like the one from "War Games" deserve bastard status?

In real life: an OS that crashes constantly and decimates hours of work--dumb. An ISP that intentionally sells your personal information to spammers--evil! Cheesy

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2