WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Best/Worst All Time SF Movies:Various lists etc. (Read 23277 times)
Dec 13th, 2012 at 4:10pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Most of those "Best of All Time" polls leave me somewhere between head-scratching and ourtraged. Given that they are often written by twenty-somethings that avoid black and white and have never seen a silent film, bad lists are the norm. Here's a surprisingly good list from, of all places, "Popular Mechanics"

While there is some room for disagreement, such as "War of the Worlds (#90)" and the "Bodysnatchers" and "The Thing" remakes but not the originals, the list has mostly good choices and makes the 'thon selection process look very good.

The top 12 for example:

12. Alien (79)
11. The Day the Earth Stood Still (51)
10. Planet of the Apes (68)
  9. Terminator (84)
  8. Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan (82)
  7. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (80)
  6. Close Encounter of the Third Kind (77)
  5. Metropolis (27)
  4. Aliens (86)
  3. Gattaca (97)
  2. Blade Runner (82)
  1. 2001: A Space Oddyssey (68)

have all played and should be considered on any top list. Seeing this list makes me reconsider the common wisdom that the 50's were the heyday of the genre. Future generations may think the mid-70's to mid-80's deserve that honor.

Only a very few of these are off my radar screen: "Sunshine" (2007) and "The Fountain" (2006) for example. Could the small number of films on this list that haven't already played be candidates for next year? "Children of Men" and "Splice" come to mind.

Note: split off as new topic from "Today's News Stories" thread - admn
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2012 at 11:46am by L.A. Connection »  

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 11:12pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The list is a bit too modern heavy. Kind of surprising for a magazine that was around during the early days of the genre. GATTACA is very good but not Top 3 material. And, two ALIEN films in the top 12 is a bit much, especially when you consider that ALIENS is perhaps the 2nd most overrated SF film ever.

Most of the films have played the Marathon for sure, but, many of the exceptions like STALKER, SOLARIS or ALPHAVILLE are kind of expected. A few of the others I have lobbied in vain for over the years like cough cough MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

R_F_Fineman wrote on Dec 13th, 2012 at 4:10pm:
Most of those "Best of All Time" polls leave me somewhere between head-scratching and ourtraged. Given that they are often written by twenty-somethings that avoid black and white and have never seen a silent film, bad lists are the norm. Here's a surprisingly good list from, of all places, "Popular Mechanics"

While there is some room for disagreement, such as "War of the Worlds (#90)" and the "Bodysnatchers" and "The Thing" remakes but not the originals, the list has mostly good choices and makes the 'thon selection process look very good.

The top 12 for example:

12. Alien (79)
  9. Terminator (84)
  5. Metropolis (27)
  4. Aliens (86)
  3. Gattaca (97)
  2. Blade Runner (82)

have all played and should be considered on any top list. Seeing this list makes me reconsider the common wisdom that the 50's were the heyday of the genre. Future generations may think the mid-70's to mid-80's deserve that honor.

Only a very few of these are off my radar screen: "Sunshine" (2007) and "The Fountain" (2006) for example. Could the small number of films on this list that haven't already played be candidates for next year? "Children of Men" and "Splice" come to mind.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 4:13pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I am a fan, but do not consider myself terribly knowledgeable.
A good number in the list that I do not know & will keep an eye out for.
The short list from 13 to 20 is pretty poor.
Also agree with Mr. Fineman's criticisms of the bias to  modernity & listing two Alien(s) near the top.
One, yes. Two? No.
The 4 he listed at the end I have seen, and could definitely do without, especially (hack) Man Who Fell - - -

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 4:38pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

"the black hole"??? puhlease!

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 6:27pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Hey Popular Mechanics has a long track record of getting some things right and others less so. The home computer with easy to use Fortran for example:

(source: Popular Mechanics)

I'm just saying that between 80% and 90% of the films on their list have either run or been on our list, so it wasn't a complete hose-job!

L.A. is quite right when he calls the list modern-heavy, but as compared to a Yahoo list of "Top-50 Horror Classics" that appeared last Halloween, this one is a gem.  On that infamous list the three OLDEST were "Rosemary's Baby", "The Exorcist", and "The Shining" and many of the top spots were taken by slasher films with numbers after them! Angry

Lists like that make me glad to see the young crowd that camp out in the front or in the balcony each Presidents' Day weekend. Remember that "War of the Worlds" is as old to them as "Metropolis" was to me when I first saw it in the 70's! Shocked

Quote:
Pogo:
I am a fan, but do not consider myself terribly knowledgeable...Also agree with Mr. Fineman's criticisms...

You sound quite knowledgable and I'm glad to have your input. Just call me "R_F_"*.

Quote:
Kirok:

...ditto!

*If want to know what "R_F_" stands for check out "The Independenthttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160403/fullcredits#cast which premiered at the 'thon in 2000

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 7:15pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 13th, 2012 at 11:12pm:
especially when you consider that ALIENS is perhaps the 2nd most overrated SF film ever.

And what would you consider to be the first?
     Aliens is the best movie Cameron has ever made, & it doesnt strike me as being particularly over-rated, the way, say, Vertigo is.

Quote:
Most of the films have played the Marathon for sure, but, many of the exceptions like STALKER

Yuch.

Quote:
SOLARIS

Blah.

Quote:
or ALPHAVILLE

Garbage.
     I'm really beginning to question your taste....

Quote:
A few of the others I have lobbied in vain for over the years like cough cough MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

Actually, that would be fun, although the movie is only so-so.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 7:21pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Dec 14th, 2012 at 4:38pm:

R_F_Fineman wrote on Dec 14th, 2012 at 6:27pm:
Quote:
Kirok:

...ditto!

There are 70mm prints of this terrible movie available.  Wait for the 70mm &
LISTEN TO ME
  this time (file under "Brainstorm").
Angry Angry Angry Angry

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 10:57pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The remake of THE THING is the most overrated SF film.

Also, I wrote that it was understandable that such arthouse fare as SOLARIS, SLALKER and ALPHAVILLE have never played the marathon - not that they should have appeared.

And, Pogo, it was I, not RF, who made the comments about the modern bias of the list, the double ALIEN overload etc.

David the Projectionist wrote on Dec 14th, 2012 at 7:15pm:
especially when you consider that ALIENS is perhaps the 2nd most overrated SF film ever.
     And what would you consider to be the first?
     Aliens is the best movie Cameron has ever made, & it doesnt strike me as being particularly over-rated, the way, say, Vertigo is.
Quote:
Most of the films have played the Marathon for sure, but, many of the exceptions like STALKER
     Yuch.
Quote:
SOLARIS
     Blah.
Quote:
or ALPHAVILLE
     Garbage.
     I'm really beginning to question your taste....
Quote:
A few of the others I have lobbied in vain for over the years like cough cough MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.
     Actually, that would be fun, although the movie is only so-so.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 1:08am

kirok   Offline
God Member

aliens is not in the same league as alien. period. end of sentence. no more discussion.
aliens is a sequel that suffers from the dreaded sequel disease known as "let's put some stuff in there that kids will like". you all know what i'm talking about.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:50am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I think it's time for the Popular Mechanics list to commute over to the film suggestions thread.

In fairness to the article, it does put "The Black Hole" at #94 and mentions that, "at the time Disney had no idea how to make a live action movie." and it was "an odd hodge podge of kid-friendly robots...and Ernest Borgnine in zero gravity." I guess the author had a natural desire to put some G-rated fare in among the gory alien parasite flicks.

(Source: Popular Mechanics)
That's the way life works: You get the jet planes and TV shopping but you also have to eat the sawdust. Wink

Besides, "Black Hole" is also among the films that have already played so it's too late! What interest me are the eighteen that haven't.

Has anyone seen:

-Splice (2009)*
-They Live (1988).
-The Fountain (2006).
-Stalker (1979)
-The Cube (1987).
-Ikarae XB-1 (1963).
-Day of the Triffids (1962).. I say yes!*
-Alphaville (1965) Safe to say we've covered.
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. (2004)**
-Abre Los Ojos (1997) (not the same as Vanilla Sky)
-A Scanner Darkly (2006)
-Enemy Mine (1985) I first assumed had played
-Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)*
-Star Trek: First Contact (1996)*
-Idiocracy (2006)
-Sunshine (2007)
-Children of Men (2006)*
-Wall-E (2008)*

* I say in brief; good fit.
**Not a bad film. Not a good fit.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 10:21am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

The list is a bit too modern heavy. Kind of surprising for a magazine that was around during the early days of the genre. GATTACA is very good but not Top 3 material. And, two ALIEN films in the top 12 is a bit much, especially when you consider that ALIENS is perhaps the 2nd most overrated SF film ever.

Most of the films have played the Marathon for sure, but, many of the exceptions like STALKER, SOLARIS or ALPHAVILLE are kind of expected. A few of the others I have lobbied in vain for over the years like cough cough MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

R_F_Fineman wrote on Dec 13th, 2012 at 4:10pm:

The top 12 for example:

12. Alien (79)
  9. Terminator (84)
  5. Metropolis (27)
  4. Aliens (86)
  3. Gattaca (97)
  2. Blade Runner (82)

Sorry LA. Yes I was appreciating your comments even in my disagreements. Was responding a while after I read them & recalled your long Fineman quote and therefore mis-credited..

Responding this time, accurately, to Mr. Fineman,
I have only seen ten of the films you listed. Could do without all of them, although like about half.
Question. I asked about a year ago if any statement of philosophy or of a preferred mix of films has ever been made.
Obviously don't agree with everything chosen, but have no ego whatsoever that I could do a better job, or most importantly come close to equalling, the combination of  knowledge, availability, an understanding of the audience's preferences with a sense of the history of the Boston Thon of the current director(s).
Still, wonder if there has ever been an overt statement of philosophy.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 10:41am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Pogo:
Quote:
Sorry LA.... recalled your long Fineman quote and therefore mis-credited

You took an intelligent, valid observation by LA and attributed it to me! I've got no problem with it. Wink

Quote:
Still, wonder if there has ever been an overt statement of philosophy.

Great idea Pogo! I say we adapt Dr. Asimov's Rules of Robotics.

1.A robot movie may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2.A robot movie must obey the orders logical storyline given to it by human beings competent screenwriters, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3.A robot movie must protect project its own existence as long as such protection projection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws. Otherwise it would be a video.

Wink

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2012 at 11:46am by L.A. Connection »  

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 12:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

R_F_Fineman wrote on Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:50am:
I think it's time for the Popular Mechanics list to commute over to the film suggestions thread.

Even better. I gave it (and all such lists) their own thread! Wink

R_F_Fineman wrote on Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:50am:
...Besides, "Black Hole" is also among the films that have already played so it's too late! What interest me are the eighteen that haven't. Has anyone seen:

-Splice (2009)*
-They Live (1988).
-The Fountain (2006).
-Stalker (1979)
-The Cube (1987).
-Ikarae XB-1 (1963).
-Day of the Triffids (1962).. I say yes!*
-Alphaville (1965) Safe to say we've covered.
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. (2004)**
-Abre Los Ojos (1997) (not the same as Vanilla Sky)
-A Scanner Darkly (2006)
-Enemy Mine (1985) I first assumed had played
-Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)*
-Star Trek: First Contact (1996)*
-Idiocracy (2006)
-Sunshine (2007)
-Children of Men (2006)*
-Wall-E (2008)*

* I say in brief; good fit.
**Not a bad film. Not a good fit.

Actually, BLACK HOLE has NEVER played at the Marathon! (though prints exist). SOLARIS (either version) is missing from you list of never played at the Marathon. Nor has ESCAPE FROM NY (ditto), WESTWORLD (tritto), ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF APES (quaitto), ROLLERBALL (quinitto), PREDATOR (sexitto), AVATAR (septemitto), GHOST IN THE SHELL (octoitto) and E.T. (novemitto).

DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS has not only played - but, twice. All in the first Three years of the event (they must have loved 'em their schlock back in the earliest days!).

Now, another of the films you list as having never played actually has
-
TRIVIA
:
Which one???
[/color][/b]

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 1:20pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

-Ikarae XB-1 (1963). has played.  Known to those who saw it way back at SF3 as Voyage to the End of the Universe. We saw the American version which is shorter by 10 minutes.  It would be nice to see the original Czech film.  I have it on DVD.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 1:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Bingo!

I got the chace to see IKARIE when it toured the country briefly several years ago. It's a very very fine film. The US version completely ruins the film by the 10 seconds it ADDS to the movie, not so much the 10 minutes it deletes from it!

Frank wrote on Dec 15th, 2012 at 1:20pm:
-Ikarae XB-1 (1963). has played.  Known to those who saw it way back at SF3 as Voyage to the End of the Universe. We saw the American version which is shorter by 10 minutes.  It would be nice to see the original Czech film.  I have it on DVD.   

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2