WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

CLOUD ATLAS (Read 7946 times)
Oct 6th, 2012 at 10:11pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

A big, sprawling, swirling, amazing movie, with full-blown science fiction elements (it's also a thriller, an historical epic, a romance, and much more). Can't give it a proper review yet, as it doesn't open till October 26. Also can't wait to see it again. Am currently reading the book.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 2:23pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Long past Oct. 26th, Ed.

CLOUD ATLAS is certainly the most bizarre big budget epic to come out in a long while. It's like a double or triple feature all in one (actually, there are SIX stories!).  It certainly doesn't all work. You have three directors and actors like Halle Berry and Tom Hanks playing 6 roles each! It's pretty hard to follow at times who is who at times.

The worst decision was to use some often hideously poor makeup to have actors play people from different races! Halle Berry as a Jew! Korean actress Doona Bae (from THE HOST) playing a Mexican AND a Freckle-faced redhead!

3 hours is too long, and the New Age hooey gets thick. Still, I have to say, it was a lot of fun overall. Not a truly "good" film, but one worth seeing.

P.S. No wonder Ed likes it - the filmmakers referenced ZARDOZ as an influence!

ed symkus wrote on Oct 6th, 2012 at 10:11pm:
A big, sprawling, swirling, amazing movie, with full-blown science fiction elements (it's also a thriller, an historical epic, a romance, and much more). Can't give it a proper review yet, as it doesn't open till October 26. Also can't wait to see it again. Am currently reading the book.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:03pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

So sorry. Been crazybusy. Forgot to post my review. Here ya go:

http://www.inlander.com/spokane/article-18564-mind-blowing.html

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 7:21pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 2:23pm:
Long past Oct. 26th, Ed.

CLOUD ATLAS is certainly the most bizarre big budget epic to come out in a long while. It's like a double or triple feature all in one (actually, there are SIX stories!).  It certainly doesn't all work. You have three directors and actors like Halle Berry and Tom Hanks playing 6 roles each! It's pretty hard to follow at times who is who at times.

The worst decision was to use some often hideously poor makeup to have actors play people from different races! Halle Berry as a Jew! Korean actress Doona Bae (from THE HOST) playing a Mexican AND a Freckle-faced redhead!

3 hours is too long, and the New Age hooey gets thick. Still, I have to say, it was a lot of fun overall. Not a truly "good" film, but one worth seeing.

P.S. No wonder Ed likes it - the filmmakers referenced ZARDOZ as an influence!

ed symkus wrote on Oct 6th, 2012 at 10:11pm:

If Zardoz was an influence, it can'f be all that bad. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 7:26pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yes, if you like ZARDOZ, you'll at least give CLOUD ATLAS a shot.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 11:56am

kirok   Offline
God Member

cloud atlas is just now coming out on dvd in red box. i give it a thumbs up. what is the history of trying to get cloud atlas at the last marathon? i hope we get to see it in 2014.
it's derivative of blade runner, the matrix, AI to name a few. my main complaint is that in one scene a vw bug is plunged off a bridge and sinks into the water. what on earth were they thinking.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 1:13pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I know folks like Ed lobbied for it at the Marathon. It's mixed reviews and it's long length - 172 Minutes! - worked against it.

I admired the film, but, it was an odd concoction with its various threads being highly inconsistent. And, whoa boy, some of those Make-Up jobs!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 7:31pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

inconsistencies?? no one spots a plothole faster than i. what inconsistencies do you speak of. bear in mind that reincarnation covers a multitude of sins.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 7:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I meant the inconsitencies in tone and how good/bad each segment was. It's an ambitious film, but at 3 hours that might be a bit of a haul for a number of Marathoners. Of course, offal like MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH feels like 3 hours........

IP Logged