WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Print Report for the Marathon (Read 36711 times)
Feb 17th, 2012 at 6:41pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

go David

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 8:18pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

I'm suspending my boycott of the board just long enough to post this report: I received too many requests for it to ignore.
     As per last year, if there are any reasonable questions, I'll try to answer them, but, as I just stated, I havent been on here in weeks, so I might not know if anything's been asked of me.
     These are listed in the order in which I inspected them; I'll just go through my notes.

Dimensions

This is a DVD.  Havent received it yet; nothing to report.
     Theres some talk of putting in a different TV projector.  That may be happening tomorrow afternoon.  I'll see how it looks.
     This will all be moot by next year's thon, as the big TV projectors will be installed later this year.

Folklore

Another DVD.

War of the Satellites

1.85 - B&W - Mono
     Print dates from 1962.  The density is lovely; this is from the days when labs still knew how to print B&W (as compared to now).  There are some splices & some wear, about what you would expect.

Duck Dodgers

Same print we run every year.

Bambi Meets Godzilla

Print is virtually new.

Brainstorm

2.40 - Colour - Mono
     This is a collector's print; film dates from 1983.  Colour is intact (LPP stock). There are some splicy sections, & some wear, which is what one would expect.
     And, yes, you read that right: the print is MONO.  This comes from the dual-inventory days, when a majority of the prints struck had a mono track, & some would have a Dolby A-type track.  A few of you will remember that when this title was bruited about by the powers-that-be, I begged for patience until the 70mm setup was complete, because a great deal of the movie was filmed in 70, but also because of the sound.  Well, now you can give up any hope of ever seeing this play in the Thon in 70, because the rotation will never bring it forth again.  Enjoy that mono sound, kids!  Grin

The Reanimator

1.85 - Colour - Mono
     An original print, on Fuji stock.  Colour looks okay, might be a bit off, but not by much.  Another print from a collector; typical amount of splices & wear present.

Enthiran

2.40 - Colour - Dolby SR/D
     Thats how it's spelled on the leaders & cans.  Well, this nine reel monster has seen better days: splices, wear, some damage, some scratches from a platter, some scratches from other sources.  For the most part, it should be okay.
     For those of you who take interest in such things, this is the same film stock used here, but note the difference in colour saturation!  Careful lab work gives you this result.

Island of Lost Souls

1.37 - B&W - Mono
     New: no splices, no wear, no dirt.  Stock dates from 2005, inspection notes from 2007, so reckon this was printed in 2006.  Despite its spectacular physical condition, the elements used for the print are a bit sketchy: I would say at least three if not four generations away from the camera negative.  And the printing is typical of new B&W (compare the whites & blacks to the War of the Satellites print to see what I mean): density is on the thin side.  And the sound dates from the Vitaphone days, & sounds it.
     All that aside, this is such a fun movie that I doubt these technical problems will even be noticed!

Frankenstein

1.37 - B&W - Mono
     Virtually new.  Much better density than Lost Souls.  Terrific print.

Paul

Virtually new.  Off a DI, so it has the image problems inherent from that process.

Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack

1.85 - Colour - Mono
     The rarest print youll be watching this thon, but it is, alas, Mission Galactica.  This is Universal's vault print, & they obviously stored it well.  Print dates from 1979, and was printed on SP stock (about which more later).  The colour is unevenly intact: as with all fading, some reels go faster than others.  Reels 1 through 4 have started to turn, but I think most of you wont notice.  Reel 5 is perfect.  Reel 6 is close to perfect.  (This movie is so bad, we'll see if any of you are even conscious by the time reel 5 unspools.)
     The print is in like-new condition: not a single splice, no wear, no dirt, no scratches, no nothing.  Remarkable.
     Like last year's Galactica, this movie was derived by splicing together a couple of the TV episodes, & the sound, as before, is EQ'd incredibly high.  Theres no low end to speak of.
     This is a Sensurround print, and, NO, WE CANT RUN IT IN SENSURROUNDAngry

Scanners

1.85 - Colour - Mono
     Another collector's print, this one dates from 1980 & was printed on the aforementioned SP stock.  Having received complaints about the fading to red of its release stock, Kodak's solution was to make a stock that faded to a yellow-brownish-amber, & thats the case here.  Got that, Frank?  Not red, AMBER.  Ha, ha, ha!  (Frank knows I hate this movie, & I know Frank hates faded prints.)
     There is some wear, a reasonable number of splices (some of which I had to remake), & an abrasion emulsion scratch that may show.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Virtually new.  No splices.  Theres an odd, minor scratch that shows up every once & again, which is not at all distracting.  Off a DI, & looks it.

Attack the Block

Virtually new.  No splices.  Minor abrasion base scratches that will not show on screen.  Off a DI.

Cowboy BeBop

1.85 - Colour - Dolby SR/D
     To my compete & utter surprise, this is a new print.  No splices, no wear, & colour is good.  That means I have five prints which must be run off singles!  Yeeesh!

Now lets see if I can survive this gauntlet!  Tongue
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2012 at 11:16am by David the Projectionist »  

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 9:27pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i missed something here. why did dave boycott the board?

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 10:19pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

As always Dave, thanks for your insightful report. In addition to your daily work routine, you take on this monster year after year.  Unfortunately, you are sort of a one of a kind now............ not too many master craftsmen left.  A tip of the visor, a blast of the raygun and the hope that you go unnoticed throughout the event except to take a bow and that the master's hand remains invisible throughout.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 10:21pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

You did not miss anything here.  Dave did not go public with his reasons for boycott.   I appreciate his doing this for the many who asked him for the favor ( I was definitely one of them).

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 10:52pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Thanks for the info on the prints.
Have to ask, does the Galactica print have the Sensurround warning on it?
If so, please run it.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 11:50pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Excellent report. And it's nice to know that you still love what you do!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 11:18am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 17th, 2012 at 10:52pm:
Have to ask, does the Galactica print have the Sensurround warning on it?  If so, please run it.

It does not, & I would run that if it did!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 7:51pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 18th, 2012 at 11:18am:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 17th, 2012 at 10:52pm:
Have to ask, does the Galactica print have the Sensurround warning on it?  If so, please run it.

It does not, & I would run that if it did!

Too bad because that is a classic bit of Hollywood promo BS.

Also just thought I'd take this oppurtunity to thank you for all your work at the thon itself.
GREAT JOB!
Even with the technical difficulties switching formats.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 7:59pm

Metaluna   Offline

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 20th, 2012 at 7:51pm:
Also just thought I'd take this oppurtunity to thank you for all your work at the thon itself.
GREAT JOB!
Even with the technical difficulties switching formats.

Yes! Thanks, Dave!

How much did you make from the tip jar? I was going to give you something but I was waiting for you to walk by so I could stick it in your pants. Wink

I owe you double for next year.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 7:36pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Okay, you impatient people who must know things in advance: heres the annual print report.....made easier because there arent a whole hell of a lot of prints!
     As usual, if there are any reasonable questions, I'll be happy to answer them.  In terms of technology, this is going to be one challenging Thon, what with all the differing formats & ratios.
     These are in no particular order.

V for Vendetta

BluRay - 2.40 - colour - 5.1 TruHD

The disc is new.  Remember, remember....when we could run this on film!

The Hands of Orlac

DVD - 1.33 - B&W - AC3

The disc is new.  This is the type of silent film that gives silent films a bad rep.  Have a pleasant nap!

Battle Royale

BluRay - 1.78 - colour - 7.1 TruHD

The disc is new.  Kill!  Kill!  Kill!

Phase IV

35mm - 1.85 - colour - mono

An original print from 1974, which, technically speaking, should be completely faded, but it isnt!  Some first & some second stage fading apparent, but there are long sections that look quite good.  Some splices, and a good amount of visible wear in the screen: sbrasion scratches, base scratches, and dirt.  Missing the opening Paramount logo, as well as perhaps the first few seconds of the movie.

John Carter of Mars

DCP - 2.40 - colour - 7.1 PCM

Theres no "new" or "old" with digital prints.  They either work or they dont.  We're one of the few theatres that can actually run 7.1 correctly.

The Ghastly Love of Johnny X

DCP - 2.40 - B&W - 5.1 PCM

Shot on film, but transferred to digital.  Look at the difference in tones & grey scales in this, & then compare it to The Incredible Shrinking Man, & see which looks better (hint: not the DP).

Duck Dodgers

35mm - 1.37 in 1.85 frame - colour - mono

Same print we run every year.

Asternauts

BluRay - 2.40 - colour - stereo

Disc plays.  Thats a good thing, because sometimes they dont.

Death of a Shadow

DVD - 2.40 - colour - stereo

Ditto.

The Incredible Shrinking Man

35mm - 1.85 - B&W - mono

Print dates from 1994.  Struck from the camera negative, which is unusual.  Should look spectacular.  Density if pretty good.  A handful of splices; not much wear.

Safety Not Guaranteed

DCP - 2.40 - colour (I think) - 5.1 PCM

Digital content.

The Fifth Element

35mm - 2.40 - colour - Dolby SR

The Print From Hell.  This is the kind of thing that operators like me fear: some sprocket jockey scumbag had this last: he slapped on some masking tape to attach the tails haphazardly to the body, no leaders, spliced the film just anywhere, threw the reels (unmarked) into the can, spliced footage in out of order, & sent the stinking mess to me.  Took me over two hours to piece this thing back in the right order.  Good thing I know the movie so well!
     Print itself is okay.  Some wear, splices, &c.  The colour will blow you away!
     I will be running the analog track on this.

Escape from LA

35mm - 2.40 - colour - Dolby SR/D

Original print from 1996.  In great shape!  One splice.
     I will also be running the analog track on this!

Reptilicus

35mm - 1.66 - colour - mono

Print struck in 2005.  Some negative fading (bringing a yellow tinge to the screen), but surprisingly little.  Looks great most of the time, but yeeeesh, youll all have a hoot watching this turkey!  Difficult call on the aspect ratio (IMDB has it wrong, as usual), but I ran it for myself & got it right.
     Wait till you see the "special effects" in this!  Oh, and the "acting."  And theres a song!!  And, like, this travelogue of Copenhagen that comes out of nowhere!  My god.  Your brain will ache!

War of the World Goliath

DVD - 1.85 (I think) - colour- AC3

The disc works!

La Luna

35mm - 2.40 - colour - Dolby SR/D

Near mint.

The gauntlet begins tomorrow.   Prepare!!  Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 8:14pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

You the man Dave! tip jar everyone!

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 9:52pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Even though this isnt "official," our little Thon certainly will have a few advantages over the regular one, the first being ALL FILM (not a digital anything in sight), & the second being that we will be showing actual real movies as opposed to some...ahem...other things.
     Believe it or not, running this half-a-Thon will probably be as challenging as the full thing, because almost every print (you know, the ones on real FILM) is marked archival, so I will be on my feet almost the entire time.
     BUT!  Ian & I have scheduled a twentyfive minute dinner break (yes, really!) at the half way point.  Wotta concept!
     That all having been said, heres the print report I know you people have been lusting for.  I should add that if any of you are on the fence about this, get your asses off it & get over here: the chances of your seeing these titles in prints of this quality again any time soon are growing slimmer by the minute!

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari

1.33 - colour - MOS - live music provided by Jeff Rapsis
     One of the many things that annoy the hell out of me is when film distributors print B&W movies on colour stock (which is cheaper to print on), using as their miserable excuse the moronic notion that they are following the "tinting" pattern from the silent days.  Bull.  Also, crap.  The colour added to the image looks nothing like the original tints, & the price you pay for it comes in the form of no gray scale, clotted blacks, wimpy whites, and high contrast.  This print was made in 2004, but at least it's FSA, so it has that going for it.
     This is the only bogus print we received.  And overlooking the fact that it's on colour stock, it's in excellent condition!

The Invisible Man

1.37 - B&W - mono
     Here we go gathering nuts & may!  This terrific print dates from 1996.  No splices, very little wear.  The density is astonishing for a print from this period.  I think it may have been struck from the camera negative, but I wont know for certain until I see it on screen.

Dr Cyclops

1.37 - colour - mono
     This is a vault print which dates from 2009 & is virtually new: not a splice, not a scratch, not a micron of dirt or wear.  The film is an Eastman print from the three strip negatives, and, regrettably, theres no way even the new Vision stock on which this was printed can duplicate the look of Technicolor, so it seems a little contrasty at times, and a little off at others.  Reel two looks the best, but, I repeat, your chances of seeing print like this again anytime soon are becoming scarcer by the second.  "Now you can call me Cyclops!"

Forbidden Planet

2.40 - colour - mono (though it does have a Perspecta track!)
     Print dates from 1999.  Very good condition: colour is okay, considering the date of the negative.  Some wear, a couple of splices.  Nothing to complain about!
     Ive run this movie so many times....  "Monsters from the Id!"

Planet of the Apes

2.40 - colour - Dolby SR/D
     Perceptive people will note that this now has a stereo track.
     This may very well be the finest print of the title I have ever seen, & Ive run about ten different ones.  This is much better than the one I ran for the Thon several years ago, which was scratched to hell & back.
     Print dates from 2011.  NEAR MINT condition.  Not a single splice, insignificant wear.  Colour is almost spot on!  "Get your filthy paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"

Westworld

2.40 - colour - mono
     This is a personal favourite of mine, & I pushed to get it.
     Print dates from 1996.  There is one splice, where someone took a couple of frames of Majel Barrett in her hooker togs (yes, that happens).  Some wear; some thin, visible scratches; some dirt (minor); and a bit if sprocket rubbing in reel four, I think.  Colour is very close.  This was struck off an IN, so it's a bit grainy & slightly washed out.  "Boy, have we got a vacation for you!"

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai

2.40 - colour - Dolby A
     This is a collector's print, an original, on Agfa stock.  Condition is very good: a few splices, minor wear.  "When are we going?"  "Real soon!"

Tremors

1.85 - colour - Dolby A
     This is a vault print and is virtually new: not a splice or scratch, with some extremely light base abrasion scratches that will not show.  Colour is dead on.  Fantastic print!

Well, it's back to work for me: have to put the cartoons & trailers together.
     Sure hope to see a majority of you people there, because folks, we really done gone & got us some top-notch prints!!!

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 6:53am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

Dave, thank you for your hard work during the mini-marathon. The prints were great.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 10:18am

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

I'll second the print quality- it was fantastic! What's up with the suit and tie???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3