WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Spiderman: Across The Spiderverse (Read 639 times)
Jun 9th, 2023 at 11:25am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Some are calling it not only the greatest Superhero movie of all time, but, the greatest animation feature ever!!

Is it?

Nyet.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2023 at 1:18am

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I thought is was phenomenal. It exceeded my already very high expectations and hopes for a sequel to the last one.
The filmmakers clearly have a genuine love and appreciation of the source material. As a life long comic fan I find that very refreshing.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2023 at 6:46pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

2018's INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE was a fresh of breath air in the superhero stakes. Brisk, witty and visually ground-breaking. It not only lapped the live-action Marvel Spider-Man movies, it even scooped them by delving into the multiverse concept before FAR FROM HOME (and did it better, to boot). It was indeed so exceptional, that one could wish that it remained a one-off. But, that's simply not how corporations view 'franchises', and so, we are on to the first of at least two sequels.

The good news is that Writer-Producers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller have kept the visual innovations moving forward. Even with a new three-headed Directing team, ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE, is both consistent with the first film, while also still progressing forward. The multi-plane animation, rapid-fire onscreen graphics and pure visual density are cinematically breath-taking at times. It's so complex as to be impossible to absorb in one viewing (which may be part of the plan). 

The story essentially picks up where the first one ended with there being both a Spider-Man/Miles (Shameik Moore) and Spider-Woman/Gwen (Hailee Steinfield). Things get exponentially more complicated than the multi-verses in the original. By mid-film there's a veritable Comic-Con full of Spider-Beings.

Lord and Miller are joined by Dave Callaham on the screenplay. It's an incredibly dense multi-verse they are creating. It zings and zags well. For the most part it follows a logical enough framework, even when it gets bogged down in digression after digression (some lasting merely seconds). Many are amusing, such a Lego-verse, but, the compounding of them smacks of trying just a bit TOO hard to impress (not to mention the almighty Fan Service that must be fed at regular intervals). Even more damaging is that by adding arithmetically more verses, they cease to be truly consequential. No matter what obstacle or potential doom the characters face - there's always another verse that can be spun out to 'save' that version of the core characters.

ACROSS is most effective when it focuses on Stacy and Miles and their immediate families. Stacy, in particular here, becomes the center of attention and Steinfield's voice-work is truly stellar. The characters are compelling. One cares about their fate. They ARE the drama.

To paraphrase Buckaroo Banzai: No matter where you go - there you are. It's the characters that count in the end, not the obstacles. Hopefully, Lord, Miller and their collaborators will keep that front of mind for Part III.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2023 at 8:26pm

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

what the hell was that crap? an homage to "everything everywhere all at once"?? i'm not weirded out by multiverses anymore. it's being overdone!! if adding disjointedness to the plot was supposed to alienate the mainstream american audience it worked. if it makes the hipster duffusses and the generation x,y,z or post millennial covid wasteoids bond in their exclusivity of acceptance to a new and different genre then they can do so.
i'll give it another chance based on caleb's recommendation and i'll get the first installment.
i'll be recycling some of the above for my review of "asteroidville"

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2023 at 11:22pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

If you haven't seen the original, it's not going to make much sense. But, the first one is much better

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 6:51pm

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

i just streamed the first 10 minutes. it's on the internet archive?!? free!?! it's cool animation. i'll finish it later.

IP Logged