WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Looking for some 'Thon mugs... (Read 11392 times)
Feb 18th, 2014 at 1:27pm

Christopher Dunn   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Hey all,

Had a great time at the Marathon this year. Was a great movie line-up and my friends and I all enjoyed it tremendously!

I made sure to get my mug for 39. I started collecting the mugs in year 30 but I have two gaps and want to add them to my collection. I am looking for marathon mugs from year 31 and 33. Also, 21 was my first marathon and I would like mugs from years 21-29 (if this is even possible).  Anyone know if any of this would even be feasible? Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 4:58pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I will check to see what I can find for you.

During the meanwhile, post your thoughts on the Marathon just completed!

Christopher Dunn wrote on Feb 18th, 2014 at 1:27pm:
Hey all,

Had a great time at the Marathon this year. Was a great movie line-up and my friends and I all enjoyed it tremendously!

I made sure to get my mug for 39. I started collecting the mugs in year 30 but I have two gaps and want to add them to my collection. I am looking for marathon mugs from year 31 and 33. Also, 21 was my first marathon and I would like mugs from years 21-29 (if this is even possible).  Anyone know if any of this would even be feasible? Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 6:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

If nothing else it'd probably possible to recreate the mugs.
I'll check my collection too and see what I've got.

On the same subject if you are doing recreations I'd like to join in.
My mug from the Welles marathons turned out not to be very water resistant and the pic on it faded and ran.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 10:04pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Count me in as well on the subject of coffee mugs.  I do not have the entire run from the Welles and I think I am missing one from the Coolidge.  Not all of the Welles mugs were numbered by year so for some years they were generic.  My favorite T-shirt from the Welles was for the year that they put James Arness as The Thing on the tee. Long wore out and would not fit even if it were still around.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 11:36am by Frank »  

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 6:21pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

When was the Marathon first mugged?

Frank wrote on Feb 18th, 2014 at 10:04pm:
Count me in as well on the subject of coffee mugs.  I do not have the entire run from the Welles and I think I am missing one from the Coolidge.  Not all of the Welles mugs were numbered by year so for some years they were generic.  My favorite T-shirt from the Welles was for the year that they put James Arness as The Thing on the tee. Long wore out and would not fit even if it were still around.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:00am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

First marathon to have a mug was ( I believe ) SF 8, the second was SF14. Starting at SF 17, the mugs were sold annually.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:42pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Lile wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:00am:
First marathon to have a mug was ( I believe ) SF 8, the second was SF14. Starting at SF 17, the mugs were sold annually.

Okay so figure SF8-11 all used the logo from the Orson Welles marathon.
I'll have to see if I've got a mug from SF14 and then go from there.
Might as well bring them out and get pics for the memorabilia section.

Duplicating them is not a problem if we can find the artwork on a flat surface.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:58pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

IF SF 8 was the first, I have SF 8 and it says SF 8.  I am not sure if all of the others were numbered. I might have them all then.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 11:01am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:58pm:
IF SF 8 was the first, I have SF 8 and it says SF 8.  I am not sure if all of the others were numbered. I might have them all then.

Another marathon history mystery.
The mug I have just has the drawing of Gort that was used by the Welles.
Does your mug have 2 designs with an SF8 on one side and Gort on the other? 

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 12:28pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

No around the circular image of Gort and the skyline along the bottom half of the circle it plainly states the 8th annual yadda-yadda-yadda.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 9:44pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Frank wrote on Feb 22nd, 2014 at 12:28pm:
No around the circular image of Gort and the skyline along the bottom half of the circle it plainly states the 8th annual yadda-yadda-yadda. 

My error, looked at the faded lettering on my mug and yes it does say 8th.
Since mugs were probably more expensive to make back then we'll have to figure those were the only ones made.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:32pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Well looks like I do have a complete set of mugs (yeah I know, big surprise.)
I'm taking pictures to be posted in the memorabilia section but it turns out highly reflective coffee mugs are real bad subjects for an amateur photographer like me.
Some smudges only seem to show up in the photos and I swear the SF38 mug design seems to change color when photographed.
Plus some mugs have a wraparound design that can't be covered in 1 pic.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:36pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Okay, I've started posting the inevitably titled mug shots in the memorabilia section.
If you have a better shot of one of the Welles mugs please post it there..

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 8:51am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

SF 24 coffee mug is the one I missed. If anyone has an idea where I might find one I would be most grateful.  I have the mugs on display but I am missing SF 24 plastic mug.

IP Logged