WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

THE WICKER MAN - Final Cut (Read 5695 times)
Nov 14th, 2013 at 8:34pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

THE WICKER MAN - Final Cut (1973/2013): A year or so ago, a plea was made searching for any materials anywhere in the world to help restore this film. The film's original negative has long been missing (one theory holds it was used for landfill UNDER a London street!). After all that searching...well, not much, sadly. This "Final Cut" is largely the same as the 1980 release (dubbed the 'Abraxas Cut' by Wicker devotees) which played the Orson Welles Cinema - and, in a nice bit of serendipity, was found at the Harvard Film Archive! I believe that Christopher Lee came to town to promote it back in the day.

This "Final Cut" has been re-edited slightly, but it is essentially the Abraxas cut. It actually runs a tad shorter than the longest existing version, but Director Robin Hardy says he prefers this edition. Unfortunately, some of the scenes are dupes of film prints, so they stick out in their graininess (and the very first scene, unfortunately, is one of them. Folks were gasping and wispering "Oh, no!" when the movie began. Fortunately, most of the movie doesn't look like that)

As to the film itself - GO SEE IT ON THE BIG SCREEN if you can! It's both not a horror film, and, in some ways, the ultimate horror film (even if it doesn't live up to the "Citizen Kane of Horror movies" tagline from Cinefantastique that they still use). What THE WICKER MAN does so well is to delve into the deepest heart of faith, belief & cults and their relationship with life and death. Some call it paganism, others, religion.

Writer Peter Shaffer creates an incredibly complex web of psychological paranoia (he also wrote SLEUTH and Hitchcock's FRENZY). Edward Woodward (long before The Equalizer) plays the innocent policeman from the 'mainland' who comes to investigate a missing child on the Island of Summerisle. The less said about the subtle plot the better (and also try to block out memories of the laughable Nic Cage retread). Christopher Lee calls it his favorite performance, and there are also the charms of Britt Ekland, Diane Cilento and Ingrid Pitt to behold. Cilento, in particular, delivers a strong performance.

It's great that this version is out there for folks to discover and re-discover (and a DVD is upcoming), even if it is less than the ultimate "final cut".

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 11:08pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Nobody went to see it at the Coolidge (or elsewhere)????

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 12:51pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I did.  Liked it.

Boston folks who missed it do have another chance - the Harvard Film Archive will be running their 35mm print at 9pm on December 20th.  I gather the DCP used this as the framework but substituted better elements where available (and cleaned it up some), so there are likely some trade-offs in terms of quality, but it's always fun when the HFA digs out stuff like this.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 3:08pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

That's excellent. I'd pay top dollar to see it in 35MM - even on a 30 yr. old print. Like I noted, the current version (misnamed "Final Cut") is essentially the same as this version.

The unanswered question is whether Director Robin Hardy would have altered the "Final Cut" if they had found other elements. If they only wanted to spruce up the 1979 version, why did they put out a worldwide call for any and all missing footage???

Jay Seaver wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 12:51pm:
I did.  Liked it.

Boston folks who missed it do have another chance - the Harvard Film Archive will be running their 35mm print at 9pm on December 20th.  I gather the DCP used this as the framework but substituted better elements where available (and cleaned it up some), so there are likely some trade-offs in terms of quality, but it's always fun when the HFA digs out stuff like this.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 11:52pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

There might be a couple minutes' difference; the HFA lists their version as 91.5 minutes, which is different from everything else.  Hopefully the DVD/BD will include a booklet that describes where everything came from, a la Criterion.  It could be entirely possible that they only had DVD-quality material for some of the movie, which isn't good enough if you're looking to do a HD release or make a decent DCP.

They'll probably talk about this at the HFA screening; those guys tend to dump a lot of info before the movie runs.  I won't be in town for that, though.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 3:28pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

From what I can tell (it's been 30+ years since I saw that version), there were a few slight changes from the '79 cut, but, really minor. I also think I heard a couple of overdubbed lines that may have been there to bridge the gap with some of the "deleted" footage - or, footage of which only a 1" Master VIDEOTAPE exists.

Yes, videotape. Long story short, the longest extant version is around 99 minutes. No negative exists (reportedly buried as landfill in England). But, there was a print that was shipped to Roger Corman. They used Corman's print to cut into the negative of the short theatrical version. So, even in '79 there was a mixture of Negative and Print dupe. Then, the '79's version's new negative was ALSO lost. But, they struck a 1 inch master tape of the Corman cut.
This "Final Cut" uses the Negative, plus, bits from the Print of the '79 cut found at the Harvard Film Archive. So, the negative portion still looks pristine, but, to re-constuct that '79 cut they had to use a dupe of the Harvard print, so that's why they look so grainy (they are a dupe of 30 year old print that itself was a dupe of the '73 Corman print).

Got all that? There will be a quiz at the Marathon.  Wink

Still begs the question of whether they would have made more significant changes IF they had found actual new material.

Jay Seaver wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 11:52pm:
There might be a couple minutes' difference; the HFA lists their version as 91.5 minutes, which is different from everything else.  Hopefully the DVD/BD will include a booklet that describes where everything came from, a la Criterion.  It could be entirely possible that they only had DVD-quality material for some of the movie, which isn't good enough if you're looking to do a HD release or make a decent DCP.

They'll probably talk about this at the HFA screening; those guys tend to dump a lot of info before the movie runs.  I won't be in town for that, though.

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2020 at 10:09am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged