WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Analog Memories - VHS, BETA etc. (Read 8931 times)
Nov 6th, 2013 at 1:15pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

This was a thread on an older version of the board. Memories of VHS, BETA and other analog tech like LPs.

Today, the biggest behemouth of the Analog movie era has announced that they are history - Blockbuster Video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/06/blockbuster-closing_n_4226735.html

I always hated HATED Blockbuster because of their predatory practices in running Mom & Pop video stores out of business. It was to the extent where Blockbuster would go to a small town and find out where the most successful indie video store was and locate their store nearby - sometimes even right next door or across the street!

Still, a part of me is still nostalgic for the video store era, and the passing of 'big blue' is another large tombstone.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2013 at 4:39pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2013 at 11:39pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Those who were around for VHS watched as video rental stores were invented, were literally everywhere and now they've vanished.

Only equivalent I can think of from past generations might be TV antennas on houses.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2013 at 4:00pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

One of my most striking early memories of Video Stores.

I'm out in the desert working in the early-80s. Tiny town. Gas station, greasy diners, post office - you know the gig. Everything closes by 9pm.

I'm driving along and there's a large well-lit store. Big glass windows so you can see inside. It's a video store. Here in the middle of nowhere was a Blockbuster sized store with rows and rows of videos (and this was before Blockbuster was a chain). It was like a spaceship had landed in this podunk town. A bizarre and surreal experience.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:27am

kirok   Offline
God Member

i had just graduated from college in 1980. i had a modest trust fund windfall. the vcr was a brand new commodity. i thought of perhaps renting tapes to vcr owners. i saw a small display in a convenience store of tapes and thought "it's to late. some one thought of it before me"

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 12:35pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:27am:
i had just graduated from college in 1980. i had a modest trust fund windfall. the vcr was a brand new commodity. i thought of perhaps renting tapes to vcr owners. i saw a small display in a convenience store of tapes and thought "it's to late. some one thought of it before me"

But, a lot of early video store guys made a mint. There could have been a whole chain of Kirok Lasers & Tapes! Like this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Atkinson_%28video_rental_businessman%29

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 3:50pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The last documented rental at Blockbuster = THIS IS THE END, the apocalyptic comedy from this past summer. Note: there are still around 50 'Zombie' Blockbusters doing rentals that are franchise owned.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/12/blockbuster-final-rental-this-is-the...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 12:25pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The last Japanese manufacturer of VCRs - Funai - has announced that they will no longer make them. It's been a long road since Sony and JVC started making commercial VCRs in the 70s.

A chapter ends.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/83427/japan-will-make-its-last-ever-vcr-month

IP Logged