WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

MAN OF STEEL (Read 6449 times)
Jun 8th, 2013 at 9:59am

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 9:47pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I wonder how much influence producer Christopher Nolan is having on the movie's release - not only is Somerville getting a 35mm print, but even large-format screens (IMAX & RPX) are programming both 2D and 3D screenings, and I can't remember those guys ever doing that when there was a 3D version available.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 1:19am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Jun 11th, 2013 at 9:47pm:
I wonder how much influence producer Christopher Nolan is having on the movie's release - not only is Somerville getting a 35mm print, but even large-format screens (IMAX & RPX) are programming both 2D and 3D screenings, and I can't remember those guys ever doing that when there was a 3D version available.

And, a few 70MM prints, too! Guess, which format I'll choose?

Too bad the early reviews are mixed at best.  Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:31am

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:44pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

First of all - again, as with STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS -- if it shows up in 70mm anywhere near you - go! Your eyes will be astonished! Actual, real deep dark black on a Movie screen in 2013! And, as a not so coincidental bonus - no hazy gauzy smear in scenes with deep shadows!

Will this reboot succeed where 2006's SUPERMAN RETURNS failed? Yes. Is it that much better of a film? Not necessarily.

RETURNS had a couple of major issues working against it - First, it so slavishly followed in SUPERMAN I & II's footsteps, that it could literally have been called SUPERMAN II 1/2. Second, lead Brandon Routh was so bland that Cavill only had to hit his marks to better that performance.

MAN OF STEEL takes a different tack - for better, and for worse. It changes the trajectory of Clark Kent, Lois Lane and Superman himself's arcs. The story is told with flashbacks and flashforwards. We all know the Superman origin story so it didn't have to repeat every beat - but, it does come back to bite the film in the end (spoiler section below).

Henry Cavill isn't bad as Superman, but, we get precious little of the adult Clark Kent, so that is an open question for the sequel. Amy Adams makes for a strong Lois Lane, and she has a more modern feminist take. It will be interesting to see how the decade age difference will play out in future sequels (hey, it's Hollywood and she is pushing 40). Michael Shannon is solid as Zod, but, I miss Terence Stamp's mischievousness. Russell Crow is fine as Jor-El, despite playing a pretty far-fetched version of the character - even for a comic book movie (spoilers).

The plotting works well enough, but is undercut by two major factors:

1. Zack Snyder. This isn't
or a videogame. It would be much more effective if the overlong and over-the-top "action" sequences weren't so unrelenting that they actually become boring after a while. Superman has always been marked as much by his humanity than by his feats of superpowers. The recent Batman trio was distinguished by precise bursts of special effects which artfully combined real physical effects with tasteful CGI. This wasn't nearly as....er...tasty.

2. Christopher Nolan. Superman isn't Batman. Never was. It isn't that Superman couldn't use a little more darkness to reflect the times, but, it shouldn't be as dour and unrelentlingly grim as his take on the Dark Knight. Coming out of Depression era America (a pretty dark time), Superman was a beacon of light and the positive. There really isn't anything in MAN OF STEEL that qualifies as outright humor until one of the very last scenes in a 2 1/2 hour film (involving a female soldier). I'm not saying you had to make it a campfest, but, a little humor wouldn't ruin it, either. And, moviegoers are so inured to ultra-violence that it isn't until afterwards that they even notice that despite the efforts of Superman, they just witnessed mass killings on a global scale - that's if many notice at all. SUPERMAN RETURNS made the mistake of relying too much on John Williams soaring original score, but, Hans Zimmer's very Dark Knight-like score was just deadening (and I'm a fan of his work).  I came out of the Donner and Lester (and to a lesser extent, Bryan Singer's) SUPERMAN films feeling exhilarated, MAN OF STEEL just left me exhausted.

In the end, it's not a bad film by any means. And, it serves as a better reboot source than RETURNS, but, there is a lot of work to be done to convince that this is the correct approach.

+++++++++++ 

SPOILERS

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I can buy that an alien comes to earth and leap tall buildings in a single bound. That said aliens could send ships to terraform a planet. But, it was pretty hard to swallow that a dead parent (Jor-El) could not only send messages to the future, but, INTERRACT with them? No! Not buying that.

More importantly, by skipping the "Adult Clark Kent" part of his life by and large, it becomes difficult to see why Superman would be so beholden to earth and its citizens. Sure - WE know why because we're aware of 75 years of comics, TV shows and movies - but, why is this Superman? He's depicted as a conflicted, if not downright, depressed, young man alienated from everybody but his parents (and, one of those is long dead). When members of his own planet arrive, wouldn't he at least listen to Zod's ideas of saving his own species? Again, WE know why, but this movie gives us no substantive reason to believe that Superman wouldn't at least hesitate for a moment.
And, ENOUGH with the Jesus parallels! SUPERMAN RETURNS was full of them, as well. Yes, it has always been there in Superman ethos, but, it was always just in the background, not beaten over the viewer's head.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2013 at 7:30pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 8:11am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Local hero Ben Affleck is slated to play Batman alongside Henry Cavill in the upcoming "Man of Steel" sequel:

Here's a truly bad idea:

Athletes who'd make a better Batman than Ben Affleck
http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/athletes-who-d-make-a-better-batman-than-ben-affl...

Tom Brady might work. One poster suggested Giselle in a mysterious foreign vixen-villain role. I could see that. 

Then the list goes terribly wrong: Most of these guys couldn't pull off playing eccentric multi-millionaires even though they ARE eccentric multi-millionaires! A Texas defensive end? A Nascar driver? A New York MET?!  Huh

In the words of Luke Skywalker: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:40pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Makes me both want to see MAN OF STEEL MEETS BATMAN even less and lower my opinion of the first film as well......

IP Logged