WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

The BATMAN Shooting (Read 6887 times)
Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:50pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Movies do not cause violence. There have been mass killings long before pop culture. The makers of BATMAN have no culpability in this shooting. The only one responsible is the murderer (who will not be named).

The caveats have been placed on the table.

But, we film fans must not just hide behind those caveats. We must look deeper – and, at ourselves.

Last week's shootings did not occur in a vacuum. The atmosphere in fanboy world was one of a frenzy:

-People had been pointing to the release of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES for weeks, months and, for the most devoted, years (practically from the second the end credits wrapped up on THE DARK KNIGHT back in 2008).

-The release came a week after the world's largest annual geek gathering - Comic Con, and all its attendant media hype.

-The mania was so high that fans posted taunts, highly graphic sexual insults and even vague death threats to the few critics who dared say that this BATMAN movie had no cape. It got so bad that Rotten Tomatoes has had to suspend the comments section on their site for the first time ever. Even today, if one goes to imdB and checks under "User Reviews" you will still find that any user who posts a negative review no matter how well thought out and reasoned will find his review tagged as not "useful" by the majority of respondents (even before many had even seen the movie). And, duck if you dare post anything negative on the imdB messageboard (there are a lot of deleted posts which indicates even more foul posts).

-THE DARK KNIGHT RISES' midnight openings were so popular and pre-sold out that there were theaters actually advertising shows at 3:45am. Parents were so gripped in a fever pitch that they were holding their kids out of school and skipping work themselves in order to stay up until dawn to see it.

-The killer did color his hair and referred to himself as the Joker and he did have Batman paraphernalia in his booby-trapped apartment.

NONE of this is an excuse or an explanation for what the murderer did, but, it should give us film fans pause to reflect on how we contributed to such a state of mass cinematic delirium. To wit:

-No matter how much one loves a particular film (or series), don't fixate on it above all others. Don't obsess and watch the same film over and over, watch every special feature on the DVD incessantly, and read every internet posting for "clues", "secrets" and "hidden meanings". Have a steady balanced approach to cinema. Sample genres, filmmakers, and eras outside of your main interests. Same goes with events like Comic Con - expand your mind.

-If you are on social media, don't pile on when you see folks ganging up on somebody who expresses a different view. If you are an administrator of a Website or Forum, don't let the comments section become a fulcrum of hate speech, racial taunts and violent threats. There will always be disagreements and trolls, and you don't want to become a censor, but be careful what lines are crossed.

-Movies are not fresh produce. They don't have a set expiration date. It wasn't too long ago that it was socially acceptable to wait a week or two to see a film. Now, with social media at such a hysterical pitch it is no longer good enough to see a movie opening weekend, you must see it at that first Midnight show....or else! Several articles have recently been written about the new Midnight movie phenomenon where the most popular films are measured by how much they gross (as opposed to the old Midnight movies which were all about films that were outside the mainstream). Relax, the movie will still be there waiting for you to enjoy a few days from now.

-It was no coincidence that the killer selected a midnight show for this particular film. He knew the place would be packed, and he knew the attention he would garner would be at its max that night. Midnight shows should not be banned, but, again, relax everybody: The movie will playing at matinees a few hours later (as well as every 1/2 hour all afternoon and evening).

-Most importantly, if you see that somebody in your orbit is displaying obsessive tendencies, ask them about it. If they start stockpiling weapons and ammo get concerned. If it gets worse or they refuse to see it in themselves, get professional help.

Finally, movies are supposed to be an escape. They can be thoughtful as well as entertaining. We shouldn't let last week's shooting hamper our enjoyment of the cinema. We should keep it in perspective, however.

Peace to the victims.

Meet me at the Box Office, soon.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:36pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Wow.  Where does one even begin to unravel this mess?

L.A. Connection wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:50pm:
-The mania was so high that fans posted taunts, highly graphic sexual insults and even vague death threats to the few critics who dared say that this BATMAN movie had no cape. It got so bad that Rotten Tomatoes has had to suspend the comments section on their site for the first time ever. Even today, if one goes to imdB and checks under "User Reviews" you will still find that any user who posts a negative review no matter how well thought out and reasoned will find his review tagged as not "useful" by the majority of respondents (even before many had even seen the movie). And, duck if you dare post anything negative on the imdB messageboard (there are a lot of deleted posts which indicates even more foul posts).

Translation: there are a lot of drooling fanboys in this country, & theyre a pack of idiots.
     I'm running the new Batcrap movie in two theatres as I type this.  And you know what?  It sucks as much as the previous two.  And those sucked a lot.

Quote:
-The killer did color his hair and referred to himself as the Joker and he did have Batman paraphernalia in his booby-trapped apartment.

Geeky comic book moron does not equal crazed, psychopathic murderer.  Was George W Bush a comic book fan?  No.  Were Hitler or Stalin?  No.  Were Savimbi or Idi Amin?  No.  Were Richard Nixon or Henry Kissinger?  Afraid not.  How about that maniac who flew his plane into the IRS building, or the scumbag who shot up the Holocaust Museum?  Once again, no.  How about that nutjob who opened fire on Gabriel Giffords?  Nopety-nope-nope!  Maybe that Virginia Tech crazy?  Not to my knowledge!
     You know what all these mass murderers & crazed killers were?  Right wingers.  Every last bloody one of them.

Quote:
NONE of this is an excuse or an explanation for what the murderer did, but, it should give us film fans pause to reflect on how we contributed to such a state of mass cinematic delirium.

NONE of this has anything to do with the killer in Colorado.  You are being childish and short-sighted.
     What allowed the murderer to do what he did are the insane lack of gun laws in this stupid country.  No one should be allowed to arm himself -- legally -- the way this psycho did.  We need to slam the door tightly shut on the easy access to assault weapons & ammunition that the NRA says (mendaciously) is our 2nd Amendment right, as well as large capacity magazines & armour-piercing cartridges.  Fewer guns + less access to ammunition = fewer people shooting up schoolrooms & McDonalds.

Quote:
-No matter how much one loves a particular film (or series), don't fixate on it above all others. Don't obsess and watch the same film over and over, watch every special feature on the DVD incessantly

You are -- unintentionally, I'm sure -- profiling a majority of the people who attend your marathon, Tony, none of whom is going to appear with a Glock in his hand, I assure you.

Quote:
-It was no coincidence that the killer selected a midnight show for this particular film. He knew the place would be packed, and he knew the attention he would garner would be at its max that night.

Precisely.  Which has nothing to do with everything you wrote up to this point, & everything to do with making as big a splash & causing as much carnage & death as possible.

Quote:
-Most importantly, if you see that somebody in your orbit is displaying obsessive tendencies, ask them about it. If they start stockpiling weapons and ammo get concerned.

If you want to prevent this from happening yet again, the solutions are pretty simple:
     1.  Stop easy access to this kind weaponry.
     2.  Instead of the FBI/CIA/NYPD/Homeland Security/NSA snooping around the Occupy Movement, they should pay close attention to these right-wing fanatics.  Keeping arms away from right-wingers will make us all a lot safer.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:59am

kirok   Offline
God Member

2.  Instead of the FBI/CIA/NYPD/Homeland Security/NSA snooping around the Occupy Movement, they should pay close attention to these right-wing fanatics.  Keeping arms away from right-wingers will make us all a lot safer.

dave, i wouldn't give you a loaded gun if it was world war 3.

if yet another tyrant takes over in europe and precipitates another global conflict which kills hundreds of millions will you then entertain the finite probability that an armed citizenry prevents that kind of thing? you can file this in your "not a perfect world" folder.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:36pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Ah, geez.

I was trying to avoid politics with my post.  Roll Eyes

Just wanted to promote a discussion of the atmosphere in the fanboy film world that the tragic events occured in.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:18pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

kirok wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:59am:
dave, i wouldn't give you a loaded gun if it was world war 3.

This is the problem with trying to "argue" with right-wingers: they live in a paralogical, fact-free world that is immune to logic, reason, and sense.  They lurch around with their authoritarian mind-set, hate-filled & dripping with paranoia, & wonder why the rest of us just dont understand the fear that nips at their heels every moment of the day.
     For example:

Quote:
if yet another tyrant takes over in europe and precipitates another global conflict which kills hundreds of millions

In the "real world," this is called a straw man argument.  Are there any ascendent tyrants in Europe at the moment?  David Cameron in the process of building a fleet of bombers?  Angela Merkle recruiting a goose-stepping army?  Jean-Marc Ayrault criss-crossing France screaming about the pollution of Aryan purity?  Harald V whipping up the populace in a frenzy of nationalistic zeal?  Why.........no.
     We live in a different world now.  We hear about these things.
     But lets travel on, because a different site I also read has a similar fantasist making the same tired, stupid argument.
     So, Hitler's on the rise, screaming about Jews infecting the Fatherland.  All the peasants in the Warsaw ghetto read the writing on the wall, & arm themselves.....somehow.  They have no money, no access to any weaponry, no ability to purchase them, & no training in how to use them--but, nonetheless, lets indulge Bernie & say they all raid a K-Mart (against Talmudic teachings, but never mind, we're in the zone) & arm themselves to the teeth.  Hitler invades Poland, and the Jews rise up and.....face Panzer tanks, howitzers, machine guns, planes, bombs, & and an organized, efficient army, which all combine to blow them out of existence.  Gee, who'da thunk?

Quote:
will you then entertain the finite probability that an armed citizenry prevents that kind of thing?

I cant "entertain" fantasy-filled, action-movie-drenched stupidity.  An "armed citizenry" cannot prevent a single thing.  They can stage a revolution, of course, but those are pretty rare, & tend to replace one bad thing with another.
     In the case of this country, the "armed citizenry" would get its collective ass kicked, & no one would laugh louder then I (as long as we're talking about right-wing gun nuts).  Yeah, I can just see the "armed citizenry" standing up to an aircraft carrier.  That would be a hoot.  Their AR-15 versus an attack helicopter or Bradley Fighting Vehicle; theres an even match.  Their hodgepodge collection of ragtag gun twits against a hydrogen bomb, against napalm attacks, against the neutron bomb, against cruise missiles, against armed drones, against F-16s.  Yeah, youd show them, Bernie!

Quote:
you can file this in your "not a perfect world" folder.

You go right ahead & do that, pal.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:39pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

I AM KIRRRROOOOOOKKKK!
if you would stop foaming at the mouth for 2 minutes and read this from wikipedia:

Person A has position X.
Person B disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially similar position Y. The position Y is a distorted version of X and can be set up in several ways.

if you need help understanding this i'm available. or maybe some one you get along with better could dummy it down for you. suffice to say that i did not supply the "superficially similar position" therefore i could not be making a straw man argument. you then distorted my position, therefore it is you who is making the straw man argument.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:41pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Alright, guys. If you aren't going to actually talk about the shooting --

Private Message time, please ----

IP Logged