WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Show of hands: Are you going to attend in person? (Read 3928 times)
Jan 26th, 2022 at 9:39am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Crunch time approaching.

So, who's decided to attend the Marathon this year?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 7:41pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I won’t be going along with 4 others in my group.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 7:51pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Lile wrote on Jan 26th, 2022 at 7:41pm:

Wise decision, Lile.  There are a lot of irresponsible people out there, & this latest variant has jumped past the vaccine in certain genetically pre-disposed individuals.

Gotta say, I'm a bit nervous myself about working this thing this year.  I reckon I'll triple-mask, stay locked in the booth, & keep away from everyone.

Maybe we'll see you next year.   Smiley

Stay healthy.  Stay safe.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 8:19pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 28th, 2022 at 7:51pm:
Lile wrote on Jan 26th, 2022 at 7:41pm:

Wise decision, Lile.  There are a lot of irresponsible people out there, & this latest variant has jumped past the vaccine in certain genetically pre-disposed individuals.

Gotta say, I'm a bit nervous myself about working this thing this year.  I reckon I'll triple-mask, stay locked in the booth, & keep away from everyone.

Maybe we'll see you next year.   Smiley

Stay healthy.  Stay safe.

But, the power that be says it'll be super low risk

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 10:26pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 28th, 2022 at 8:19pm:
But, the power that be says it'll be super low risk

And maybe theyre right.  Then again, maybe theyre wrong.  The thing is, no one knows for sure: there could be a new variant that sweeps in, there could be a resurgence of the old one.  Nothing is written in stone right now, and "low risk" is a subjective determination.  Would you be "low risk" if youre immunocompromised?  Would you be "low risk" if youre diabetic?  Asthmatic?  Having several comorbidities?
     You have to be careful making such pronouncements: there are a lot of factors that might come into play that would make some people as far from "low risk" as can be imagined.  And being locked in a room for 24 hours with people who eat & sneeze & drink & cough might raise the risk factor up a few points.
     We dont know for sure, so being cautious seems a well-considered & intelligent choice.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 7:26pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

My regular cohorts and I will not be attending.
We're doing a a zoom based Marathon instead, of our own concocting.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 6:14pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

My wife and I will be following the Marathon along from home (and recording the experience again) just to be safe. We're hoping next year we can come back to watch it live with everyone.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 7:47pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

UncleTim wrote on Jan 30th, 2022 at 6:14pm:
My wife and I will be following the Marathon along from home (and recording the experience again) just to be safe. We're hoping next year we can come back to watch it live with everyone.

I didn't think there was any virtual Marathon element planned, only for the festival. Has that changed in the last few days?

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 7:59pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Quote:
I didn't think there was any virtual Marathon element planned, only for the festival. Has that changed in the last few days?

There isn't. For the past few years we haven't been able to make it to Somerville for various reasons so we get a hold of the movies being shown (usually we already have a bunch of them in our collection) and just watch right along according to the schedule.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 2:02pm

BrianInNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Was really hoping for a virtual option for the thon.  Leaning toward not going this year, given how bad omicron is.  Even if everyone at the thon is boosted, we would still have to take public transport to get there and back.  Will probably just do our own at home thon this year.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 8:20pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

BrianInNH wrote on Jan 31st, 2022 at 2:02pm:
Was really hoping for a virtual option for the thon.  Leaning toward not going this year, given how bad omicron is.  Even if everyone at the thon is boosted, we would still have to take public transport to get there and back.  Will probably just do our own at home thon this year.

Yeah, me too.

If I have the time and energy I will post a full list of Watch At Home links to the movies. If anyone else wants to - feel free. I will give it a good placement on the site

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 6:25pm

BrianInNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2022 at 11:24am

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

Sadly, I will also not be attending in person this year. 

If someone wants to step up and run the music this year, I'd be glad to help with the playlist and give the run-down on how the technical side works.

I'll miss everyone dearly, as this is one of the high points of the cold and bleary season that is winter in Somerville, but health has to come first. 

Dan Abraham
Music Meister

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2022 at 9:33pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

anu3bis wrote on Feb 2nd, 2022 at 11:24am:
Sadly, I will also not be attending in person this year. 

If someone wants to step up and run the music this year, I'd be glad to help with the playlist and give the run-down on how the technical side works.

I'll miss everyone dearly, as this is one of the high points of the cold and bleary season that is winter in Somerville, but health has to come first. 

Dan Abraham
Music Meister

Sorry to hear that. But, it's a personal choice. We seem to be losing a good core of our audience.

Full strength in 2023!

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2022 at 2:53am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 3rd, 2022 at 9:33pm:
[quote author=3B342F693833295A0 link=1643207940/12#12 date=1643819076]Sadly, I will also not be attending in person this year. 

Dan Abraham
Music Meister

Sorry to hear that. But, it's a personal choice. We seem to be losing a good core of our audience.

Full strength in 2023!
[/quote

Wish we could all be there this year, next year at sf 48

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2