WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

In person attendance? (Read 2479 times)
Dec 11th, 2021 at 2:37pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I was curious what the general feeling was among Marathon goers as far as being in person for the event is, assuming the in-person event does take place.
As much as I love you all, I'm not sure I feel good about 24+ hours in an enclosed space with 400 to 600 folks.
Thoughts?

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2021 at 3:03pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Caleb451 wrote on Dec 11th, 2021 at 2:37pm:
I was curious what the general feeling was among Marathon goers as far as being in person for the event is, assuming the in-person event does take place.
As much as I love you all, I'm not sure I feel good about 24+ hours in an enclosed space with 400 to 600 folks.
Thoughts?

I haven't bought my plane ticket yet. On pins and needles myself. The next 8 weeks will give us the answer.

And, keep in mind, Somerville is one of THE most restrictive communities in Massachusetts

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2021 at 12:27am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I’m leaning towards not coming, with my underlying conditions sitting in a theater with 400 -600 people and COVID still around might not be a good idea

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 9:54am

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

I was really hoping this would be the year we make it back to the Thon in person but with the current situation, we've decided to play it safe.

Whether watching at home or in Somerville, I hope everyone enjoys it.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 11:06am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

UncleTim wrote on Dec 18th, 2021 at 9:54am:
I was really hoping this would be the year we make it back to the Thon in person but with the current situation, we've decided to play it safe.

Whether watching at home or in Somerville, I hope everyone enjoys it.

I think a lot of folks will take advantage of the hybrid at home edition.

It's tough all around

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 11:09pm

BrianInNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

We’ve pretty much decided to go virtual as well.  The organizers are requiring all attendees to be vaxed and boosted, but still.  That many people in an enclosed space for many hours
(let’s face it, we never last the entire 24 hours) is a significant risk.  Even if it’s like having the flu, who wants that?  I appreciate that the organizers are doing everything possible to make it as safe as possible, but it’s so contagious.

We do miss the theater experience.  Last year was not the same, but it was the best option available.  Hopefully next year.  Still going to enjoy the thon even if we are missing the people.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 11:22am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

BrianInNH wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 11:09pm:
We’ve pretty much decided to go virtual as well.  The organizers are requiring all attendees to be vaxed and boosted, but still.  That many people in an enclosed space for many hours
(let’s face it, we never last the entire 24 hours) is a significant risk.  Even if it’s like having the flu, who wants that?  I appreciate that the organizers are doing everything possible to make it as safe as possible, but it’s so contagious.

We do miss the theater experience.  Last year was not the same, but it was the best option available.  Hopefully next year.  Still going to enjoy the thon even if we are missing the people.

It's going to be an individual decision, certainly. And, the next few weeks will reveal a lot

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2022 at 1:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

So, who's in? Who's out?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 3:54pm

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

i'll go if i can. i tested positive for covid in january (the sniffles for 2 days). i have no booster. i will test before attending.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 3:21pm

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

Better get that booster fast; it's a requirement to get in the door.

From the Dec 30, 2021 email update:

Covid & Omicron
Boston SciFi will have strict guidelines for all live events for SF47. There will be no exceptions. Fully vaccinated, boostered. Period.

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged