WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
SF/46 2021 Reviews and comments (Read 6814 times)
Feb 15th, 2021 at 12:03pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

SF/46 is wrapping up virtually.

Post your comments here.

And, if you didn't attend the Virtual Marathon - what did YOU watch on Marathon weekend??

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 5:06pm

zosa   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Over 6 days I watched 45 short films and 18 feature-length films. I attended a few talk-backs with filmmakers and watched three panel discussions. The films came from the US, the Netherlands, Argentina, the UK, Belgium, Canada, Andorra, Mexico, Spain, Hungary, South Korea, Iran, Estonia, Australia, China, Ireland, Japan, Germany, Singapore, Italy, Brazil, Luxembourg, Colombia, and France. It was all virtual so the socializing with friends I did was on fb, Instagram, text, and the online platforms provided by the fest. All in it was a ton of fun. See you next year at #SF47

PS ....after attending SFBoston for 4 decades, how did I not know about this forum? Wink

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 5:15pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

zosa wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 5:06pm:
PS ....after attending SFBoston for 4 decades, how did I not know about this forum? Wink

Better late than never! It's been around since Netscape and Ask Jeeves were big websites!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 9:22pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Overall I enjoyed sf 46, not the same as seeing it at the Somerville, but fun in its own right. I really liked the idea of bookmarking both ends of the ‘thon with different versions of the thing.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:26pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Lile wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 9:22pm:
Overall I enjoyed sf 46, not the same as seeing it at the Somerville, but fun in its own right. I really liked the idea of bookmarking both ends of the ‘thon with different versions of the thing.

I take partial credit for that (although I would have reversed the order). Still, I have to give a tip of the hat to Bruce at the Ohio Marathon. They've done something similar once or twice

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 5:11pm

BrianInNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

There were a few technology issues, as you would expect.  The "extras" in the thon like in memorium and Garen's addresses were not playable on the big TV if you have Apple TV.  I was eventually able to figure out that I could watch them on my small cell phone, which is Android, but not on my ipad or the TV.

It wasn't clear that you need to refresh the app frequently and that that is what the circular icon at the top is for.

Still, considering everything, I'm surprised that it went as smoothly as it did. 

This is the first time that we have been able to take part in the Fest because Somerville is too far away and we are not retired yet.  I found many of the shorts/films to be depressing and/or disturbing.  There were some good films, however.  I wish that there was a track of films and shorts for people who do not want to feel suicidal.

This isn't something the Fest can control, but for non-English language films, I really wish that there was an option to be dubbed or at least put the closed captioning in a large font on a black background.  It was tiny and hard to read many times and when the background picture was white, it was unreadable.  Also, closed captioning can just summarize speech instead of being word for word.  We enjoyed the Chinese space opera (what was it called?), but it was very hard to follow because of the limited closed captioning and the very rapid speech.

The thon itself was a great selection of films.  We did not watch Slither or Species (neither of us was able to get out of work completely the next day, so something had to be sacrificed).  We also did not watch Attack the Block, but saw it at the thon a few ago.

The in memorium was stunning.  It just keeps getting better each year.  Each year I don't think that they can top it, but they somehow manage to do it.

The team behind the thon and the fest are terrific.  This had to involve a serious amount of time and energy.  Honestly, hats off to everyone involved.  Thank you and see you (hopefully in person) at SF47!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 6:49pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

BrianInNH wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 5:11pm:
There were a few technology issues, as you would expect.  The "extras" in the thon like in memorium and Garen's addresses were not playable on the big TV if you have Apple TV.  I was eventually able to figure out that I could watch them on my small cell phone, which is Android, but not on my ipad or the TV.Thank you and see you (hopefully in person) at SF47!

I hear you weren't the only one who had issues. Glad you got past them.

As to next year in person --- Let's hope so!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 11:09pm

kirok1   Offline
anybody order fried sauerkraut?

garen did say he loved complaints so here goes
what the hell did the chick from "the flying nun" do to get on the memorium?
which movie was worse, "tenet" or "flight of the navigator"?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 1:50pm

Rich Bartlett   Offline

Marge Redmond, the actress from The Flying Nun, appeared in My Favorite Martian, Twilight Zone, The Munsters, My Mother the Car, The Sixth Sense, and The Six Million Dollar Man.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 2:10pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Rich Bartlett wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 1:50pm:
Marge Redmond, the actress from The Flying Nun, appeared in My Favorite Martian, Twilight Zone, The Munsters, My Mother the Car, The Sixth Sense, and The Six Million Dollar Man.

Yes, I wish Dan would include that more prominently in the scroll

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 8:49pm

kirok1   Offline

will erin moran be in memorium when she croaks? sally struthers?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:02pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Once again this year, we've devoted an episode to recording our increasingly exhausted reactions to the marathon. Check it out here:

https://www.cinemaspection.com/2021/02/boston-science-fiction-marathon-sf46.html

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 2:20pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

UncleTim wrote on Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:02pm:
Once again this year, we've devoted an episode to recording our increasingly exhausted reactions to the marathon. Check it out here:

https://www.cinemaspection.com/2021/02/boston-science-fiction-marathon-sf46.html

Thanks for posting this. Enjoyable listen. Nice to hear from relatively new Marathoners. Us oldsters have seen some of these movies at the 'thon multiple times, but, it sounds like the pair of you haven't.
A little too much talk of being tired and sleepy far too early into the 'thon (wimps!  Wink ). Major props for hanging with it to the end and recording all the way.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 4:01pm

Rich Bartlett   Offline

will erin moran be in memorium when she croaks? sally struthers?

Yes. Erin Moran starred in Galaxy of Terror and Sally Struthers voiced Charlene Sinclair on Dinosaurs!

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 4:47pm

kirok1   Offline

ha ha gotcha!trick question. erin moran died in a trailer park in wisconson 3 years ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2