WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Origins of traditions (Read 3892 times)
Dec 30th, 2020 at 11:19am

BrianInNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

We have been going to the thon for several years now, but I am wondering where some of the traditions started as they all predate us. 

Single clap per credit
Mark
Wheat Chex/Rice Chex
fireball
Duck Dodgers
others?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 4:31pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

BrianInNH wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 11:19am:
We have been going to the thon for several years now, but I am wondering where some of the traditions started as they all predate us. 

Single clap per credit
Mark
Wheat Chex/Rice Chex
fireball
Duck Dodgers
others?

I'll give it a quick go:

Single Clap began spontaneously around SF/30

MARK! Began at the Orson Welles when folks during it's screening at SF/3 notice how many times the name "Mark" was used on screen. The commander (Barry Sullivan) was named Mark Markary in the U.S. dub

Wheat Chex/Rice Chex began at SF/13 when episodes of Space Patrol were shown, complete with Chex ads

Fireball - not sure when this began. Anybody?

Duck Dodgers - not sure when this began, either. I know it showed at least once during the Orson Welles days, but, it wasn't until the SF/teen years that it became a tradition

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 2:41pm

Joe Neff   Offline

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 4:31pm:
I'll give it a quick go:

Although I have no proof of what I'm about to assert, my Columbus cohorts and I might have been responsible for the single clap tradition. It's been a hallmark of the Case Western Reserve University 24-Hour Science Fiction Marathon in Cleveland for years, and as longtime attendees of that shindig, we decided to give it a whirl in Boston, probably around the time of SF30. The subsequent adoption of it as a new tradition seems to confirm this, but who knows?
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2021 at 7:54pm by Joe Neff »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 10:27pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 2:41pm:
I'll give it a quick go:

Although I have no proof of what I'm about to assert, my Columbus cohorts and I might have been responsible for the single clap tradition. It's been a hallmark of the Case Western Reserve University 24-Hour Science Fiction Marathon in Cleveland for years, and as longtime attendees of that shindig, we decided to give it a whirl in Boston, probably around the time of SF30. The subsequent adoption of it as a new tradition seems to confirm this, but who knows?

Better than my guess! I do know it was just before SF/30 because our guest at that year's thon, Chris Coppola, remarked about how cool and "european" it was of us to do so.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 11:43pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

There was a short lived tradition, started at sf 10, of reading any written narrative. That was when a series was shown.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 12:51pm

BrianInNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Thanks!  I think that we started at SF32, so the clap one must not predate us by much.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 4:46pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Been looking for an answer for years and years. Anybody have an idea of when Duck Dodgers became an annual kickoff film??

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 4:35pm

Spatch from the balcony   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Balcony or bust!
Davis Square

Really? I might be under the Mandela Effect here but I coulda sworn we were single clapping for several years on the Starship Coolidge. It had been explained to me as "so that everybody gets applause". I'll ask my friends who attended SF/24 and /25 if they remember any of that.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 12:06am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Spatch from the balcony wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 4:35pm:

Really? I might be under the Mandela Effect here but I coulda sworn we were single clapping for several years on the Starship Coolidge. It had been explained to me as "so that everybody gets applause". I'll ask my friends who attended SF/24 and /25 if they remember any of that.

I remember that the single clap was already well established by sf 24. How much earlier I don’t remember.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 1:10am

Joe Neff   Offline

Lile wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 12:06am:
Spatch from the balcony wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 4:35pm:

I remember that the single clap was already well established by sf 24. How much earlier I don’t remember.

Wait wait! I take back my earlier assertion. My Columbus cohorts and I actually adopted the single clap tradition after experiencing it in Boston for the first time in 1999, then inadvertently brought it to the CWRU Marathon in Cleveland, where it seems to have stuck ever since. Man, the havoc that too many years of space-time continuum warpage can do on one's memory...

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 1:22pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Joe Neff wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 1:10am:
Man, the havoc that too many years of space-time continuum warpage can do on one's memory...

None of which alters the fact that it's really annoying.....   Wink

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged