WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

One question from a ‘thon first-timer (Read 1801 times)
Feb 11th, 2020 at 3:12pm

GoLucky   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Hi.  Is there a written/unwritten rule about holding a place in line for someone in your party of 2?  I live locally and plan to arrive early to stand in line.  However, my friend is coming in from out of state and won’t get to the theater until an hour or so later.  Can my friend find me in line and join me?  Or is that not allowed (or a faux pas)? 
Thanks! 

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 3:29pm

L.A. Connection   Online
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

First of all -- welcome! Second, sure, you can hold a place in line.

GoLucky wrote on Feb 11th, 2020 at 3:12pm:
Hi.  Is there a written/unwritten rule about holding a place in line for someone in your party of 2?  I live locally and plan to arrive early to stand in line.  However, my friend is coming in from out of state and won’t get to the theater until an hour or so later.  Can my friend find me in line and join me?  Or is that not allowed (or a faux pas)? 
Thanks! 

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 12:03am

GoLucky   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Great!!  Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2020 at 8:51pm

Rasanova   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

GoLucky wrote on Feb 11th, 2020 at 3:12pm:
Thanks! 

I know this is a little late to be useful... But it's really a great question! The short answer is as L.A. said above, go ahead. (as I assume you did.) But the longer answer is a little more complicated.

I've been going to these since #7, and would always do my best to show up as early as possible, with the full group, in order to get decent seats. But it didn't seem to matter how early we got there, as the few people in front of us would seem to double in size several times til the doors finally opened.

But now that I'm older, I don't have the same patience for showing up in the pre-dawn hours and I'm less attached to the front rows so I don't let it bother me. In fact I've even been the one now to get in line with somebody who got there earlier, and I was quite greatful. (Even if the me from 38 years ago would be horrified.)

So I guess what I mean is, go ahead and hold a place in line, there is no rule against it written or otherwise - just be conscious of the fact that it may bother others.

IP Logged