WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

A SF Memory Stargate of Things Past (Read 1152 times)
Jan 18th, 2020 at 12:23pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

The LA Connection asked if I had any extra special Marathon moments that stood out above all others. Having attended 41 of 44 years of this thing (I still feel guilty about missing 9 & 10) there are certainly many that I hold dear, but seeing Chris Marker’s 1962 short La Jetee for the first time at SF6 might be the strongest. It was either Steve Wayne or Ed Symkus, who had become Marathon friends by that point, that told me I had a real treat ahead of me, but little else about the film itself. When watching this strange French experimental film told almost completely through black and white stills I had the epiphany that film could be anything the director wanted it to be. Challenging the expectation that an image had to be moving to tell a story blew my mind, and cemented in my soul the idea that this is what I had to do with my life. Right there and then. Changed me forever.

There are a couple of honorable mentions that I have to acknowledge as well.

1 - The infamous SF3 walk out for “They Came From Within.” This was my first exposure to David Cronenberg. Needless to say I was not among those who left the theater as the doctor strangled an apparent school girl, stripped her down, slit open her belly and poured acid in her abdomen. Wow. Just wow.

2 – My other beloved memory is of a more deviant nature. In the early years of this thing it was not at all unusual to walk into the men’s room at the Orson Welles during the breaks and be greeted by clouds of smoke that would’ve been at home in a Cheech and Chong movie. Multiple joints being passed, people milling about. I don’t know what was going on in the Ladie’s room. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss that f#ck-it-all rebellious quality of the early days.

I look forward to hearing other people's Golden Moments.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 10:02pm

Metaluna   Offline

Caleb451 wrote on Jan 18th, 2020 at 12:23pm:

I don’t know what was going on in the Ladie’s room.

Nothing that deviant. One year during a really boring movie I can't remember we played paper towel basketball with the trash can.

"MAKE ME A SERGEANT, CHARGE THE BOOZE!"
IP Logged