WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Disney's Vault (Read 4271 times)
Oct 27th, 2019 at 8:10am

Rich Bartlett   Offline

A New York magazine article begins with the director of the Columbus Ohio 24 Hour Science Fiction Marathon reporting problems trying to get films. This is not good news.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-int...

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2019 at 10:15am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Rich Bartlett wrote on Oct 27th, 2019 at 8:10am:
A New York magazine article begins with the director of the Columbus Ohio 24 Hour Science Fiction Marathon reporting problems trying to get films. This is not good news.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-int...

Yes, it is an issue, not just for Marathons, but, for all revival screenings that want to show Disney or Fox films.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2019 at 10:44pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Oct 27th, 2019 at 10:15am:
Rich Bartlett wrote on Oct 27th, 2019 at 8:10am:

Yes, it is an issue, not just for Marathons, but, for all revival screenings that want to show Disney or Fox films.

It’s now even harder to get some of our favorite films if they were distributed by Fox or Disney. I truly dislike their model when it comes to their catalog of older movies and I suspect their decisions would be arbitrary.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:38pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

It's November and there's been no hints and few mentions of the marathon.
We are being forgotten.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 1:35am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:38pm:
We are being forgotten.

Stuff is happening  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 12:42am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 6th, 2019 at 1:35am:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:38pm:
We are being forgotten.

Stuff is happening  Wink

Oh I'm sure it is.
But tell me, did something seem REALLY off to you at the last 'thon? Like they were winging it with nothing really planned out except the films?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 3:33pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Well, some note on "Stuff" would be appreciated by those few of us who live outside New England.
I am getting a little creaky to make a last minute decisions from a ten hours drive away.
On the other hand, my Jamaica Plain granddaughter heard that in past years I had visited to "Watch movies" and told me that I had to take her.
Anything showing for 6 year olds???

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 3:55pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

On Rich Bartlett's original post/link.
In conversation with the director of the local classic film forum, he noted that the supply of popular classics he shows, both due to interest and to make it possible ($$$) to show foreign and less popular quality films, is dwindling at a time when electronic copies should increase availability.  The Cleveland Cinematheque, a non-profit society, projects in a new auditorium, located at an art institute. No excuses that his is a first or even third run house.
Disney/Fox is not alone in their choking availability. Although John, the director, has some appreciation of the convenience of electronic copies (sorry David), he is, along with the local SF Marathon, one of the only two locals who shows as much 35mm film as he can obtain. He averages about six films/week.
Multiply smaller cities like Cleveland by 100 then add the Bostons and Atlantas and larger cities. Pretty soon it will be Criterion collection, Disney (not), or classics owned by  collectors.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2019 at 5:16pm by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 10:21am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Nov 29th, 2019 at 3:33pm:
Well, some note on "Stuff" would be appreciated by those few of us who live outside New England.
I am getting a little creaky to make a last minute decisions from a ten hours drive away.
On the other hand, my Jamaica Plain granddaughter heard that in past years I had visited to "Watch movies" and told me that I had to take her.
Anything showing for 6 year olds???

I'll try and give a behind the scenes 'push'

IP Logged