WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
SF/44 Films Announced; Reaction thread (Read 19302 times)
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 1:45pm

BrianInNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Loving the lineup so far!  Some I have seen before, some I have not.  This is shaping up to be a great thon.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 1:33am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

BrianInNH wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 1:45pm:
Loving the lineup so far!  Some I have seen before, some I have not.  This is shaping up to be a great thon.

Agreed, this is shaping up as a really good ‘thon.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:24pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Anu3is wrote:
Quote:
Speaking purely from a music standpoint...yeah, I think I can work with this <g>.  I only regret that I don't do music after Jeff (after all, who could follow that?) because there are so many good songs for after Frau im Munde Mond.

I'll just have to content myself with all the Disco goodness for Rollerball.

Doing the music after the live performance is one of the great challenges/opportunities of the gig. The performer needs extra time to take down the equipment, this gives you lots of chances to play "Moon" themed songs, of which there are many.

"Escape from New York" is also just asking for the treatment and I don't mean Frank Sinatra's anthem. Mick Jagger, the late Jim Caroll, and others had a lot to say about the poor state of the city back in the 80's when the movie was made. Sorry Caleb, it looks like your home town is going down. Wink

There are a good number of pain and violence songs to accompany "Rollerball" plus a total piece of 70's schlock concerning roller skates. The list goes on. You've got yourself a good music year.

ps. If you want me to privately send you some of the things that Colossus, the song database has come up with I'd be glad to.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 10:15am

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

I take any and all suggestions, and select as capriciously as I always do.  Send me what you got!

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 10:17am

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

oh, and the main reason I wait to play music after the Live music is respect - if I play something goofy, it detracts. If I play something serious, it doesn't compare.  Better a short break than mixing mitzvot.

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 3:05pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

SOURCE CODE and SUNSHINE announced!

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Dec 28th, 2018 at 3:18am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Haven’t seen either of these movies, am looking forward to  seeing them at the ‘thon.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 6:51pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Quick take on what looks to be a pretty complete lineup:

SUNSHINE - not a personal fave, but, I'll give it another shot. Certainly, one of the more acclaimed SF movies of recent years

SOURCE CODE - Liked it the first time around

DR. CYCLOPS - Hasn't shown since SF/5! To see it again in 35mm on the big screen will be a colorful treat. Can't wait for the reaction to the shotgun scene!

DESTINATION MOON - 50th Anniversary of the moon landing. Hasn't shown since SF/13.

INNERSPACE - One of those titles that somehow fell into the Marathon black hole. How it hasn't shown before is a mystery.

ANNIHILATION - the year's most acclaimed SF movie. And, to think the studio almost dumped this straight to streaming!

STAR TREK VI in 70mm - The last ride of the original cast. Haven't seen it since it came out. I had just returned from 6 months making a movie in Russia and the Cold War sybolism was more than palatable to me

ANDROMEDA STRAIN in 35mm -- Hard to believe that this Crichton-Wise collaboration hasn't shown since the 2nd ever 'thon!

ROLLERBALL in 35mm. Even more shocking than INNERSPACE for the title of 'How the F#$k has this one never screened at the 'thon! The film is essentially the same age as the 'thon itself. Finally, it gets it's baptism here. 

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK - Broken record, but, again, how has this one never shown?! (Note: Part of it has been print availability; but that was no excuse in the 80s and early 90s!)

WOMAN IN THE MOON - It's long, but, Jeff Rapsis will keep things in gear. If your butt is sore by the end (2 1/2 hours), just think of Jeff's fingers!

All in all, methinks this is the best lineup in years.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 4:57pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Agreed as long as there are no last minute substitutions. Would still have liked to have seen King Kong at the ‘thon this year.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:51am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 4th, 2019 at 6:51pm:
WOMAN IN THE MOON - It's long, but, Jeff Rapsis will keep things in gear. If your butt is sore by the end (2 1/2 hours), just think of Jeff's fingers!

WOMAN IN THE MOON (Frau im Mond) 1929. 146 mins. Restored full length version. Fritz Lang's classic silent will be accompanied live by Jeff Rapsis musical score! Much of the same team that worked on Lang's METROPOLIS brought this moon landing drama to the screen. Said to have been the first countdown in cinema.  DCP.

Wrong.  The "restored full length version" of this over-rated slogfest runs a whopping 200 minutes, something I have said repeatedly.  Now youre stuck with it.  I will enjoy my three+ hour break.
Prepare for narcolepsy.

Quote:
All in all, methinks this is the best lineup in years.

Something you have said every single year as far back as I can remember.  Very consistent, Tony.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 2:32am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:51am:
L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 4th, 2019 at 6:51pm:
[quote]All in all, methinks this is the best lineup in years.

Something you have said every single year as far back as I can remember.  Very consistent, Tony.

Show me that quote. You won't find it.  Certainly, not about the last couple of lineups....

And, the 146 minute figure came from Ian. (modified to 169)
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2019 at 11:21am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 5:34pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

If the Woman In The Moon is really the 200 min version hopefully they'll schedule an intermission in the middle.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 5:35pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Jan 29th, 2019 at 5:34pm:
If the Woman In The Moon is really the 200 min version hopefully they'll schedule an intermission in the middle.

It's 169 per Ian and the distributor.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 4:34am

Jeff Rapsis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

On 'Frau im Mond,' don't let the length throw you. (Or the negative comments in this thread from our favorite projectionist, whom we all love but who has always been cranky about this title.) It's early sci-fi at its bizarre best, and director Fritz Lang makes sure that it really moves. Consider: it was released just two years after Lang released 'Metropolis' (1927), so that's the level he was working at. It's an ambitious film cut from the same cloth: big themes, intense drama, weird futuristic visual design, amazing retro tech, industrial espionage, a torrid love triangle, and even some comedy along the way. As a whole it's an on-screen realization of early space travel pulp fiction stories, which Lang collected. One reason 'Women in the Moon' isn't as well known as its more famous predecessor was because Mr. Hitler suppressed the film due to the German rocket technology on display (for which he had other uses in mind), and then for years it was only available in mutilated excerpts that made nonsense of the film's floridly melodramatic plot. The full restoration, with Lang's original full-strength loopy pulp fiction vision intact, makes for a great cinematic ride. Seen with an audience and live music (as intended), it really comes to life! So give it a chance. Looking forward to doing music for this unique film, which I think laid the groundwork for so much sci-fi cinema to come.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 9:29pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jeff Rapsis wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 4:34am:
Or the negative comments in this thread from our favorite projectionist, whom we all love but who has always been cranky about this title.

Yeah, because it's boring, dated, & it sucks!
As these people are about to discover.....
Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious!
And I like the idea that I'm "cranky about this title", while youve been a love-struck fanboy!   Cheesy

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3