WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
PRE-MARATHON SF/43, 2018 Film Discussion (Read 49623 times)
Reply #60 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:00pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I'm betting Shivers/They Came From Within still empties a lot of the theater.
Just wish I could remember the final count when it ended at SF3, I think it was less than 20 brave folks from the sellout crowd that started.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #61 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:34pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:18pm:
My quick thoughts on the dozen movies in the lineup--

And here are mine.

Quote:
THEY CAME FROM WITHIN aka SHIVERS: Just announced! 35mm Film Print.

So far, the only title I know for sure is on film.  If it's an original print, it's faded; no getting around that.  And the movie is awful, BTW.  I ran it at the Saxon years & years ago.

Quote:
7th VOYAGE and 20 MILLION MILES: one Harryhausen per thon is enough, but, hey, we haven't seen 20 Million in two decades.

Theyre both DCPs, so when you say youll be "seeing" it, you mean kinda sorta.

Quote:
CE3K: 40th anniversary and all, it was a no brainer.

Well, considering it's a DCP file, thats up for debate isnt it?  I ran every version of this in 70mm.  The idea that the DCP will look anything close to that is laughable.

Quote:
too bad we couldn't celebrate that other big '77 sci-fi film. Don't understand fully why there wasn't a re-release last year for the big 4 O. Legal squabbles with Lucas, Fox and Disney?

Thats exactly right.  Fox owns a piece of that, & so does Lucas.  Disney owns the sequels & the sequel rights.  And if, somehow, we were able to book that title, it would be the Special Edition in the glory of yet still more digital.
     Why dont you just put on your laserdisc of this at home?  It would amount to pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
LOOPER

There are film prints available of this, but we'll be running the DCP.

Quote:
ALGOL

Another DCP.

Quote:
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN

I still dont know what format this will be in.  Why tell the projectionist, right?  But I know prints are available, because I just ran one in October.

Quote:
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: excited to see this on the big screen for its 50th anniversary

Except youll be watching a DCP file, and as Ive said on this forum many times, digital doesnt do B&W any favours.  It will look like crap.

Quote:
WORLD WITHOUT END: Got to meet the fine folks at the Warner Archive this past summer in San Diego at Comic Con. When this title came up as one of their new Blu Rays I wanted it right away!

And you got it, because thats exactly what we'll be running: the BluRay!  Congratulations!

Quote:
TIME MACHINE: Another Warner Archive special. Hard to believe this cornerstone sci-fi classic has only played twice

I ran this the second of those two time, & it was a print.  Now, it's a BluRay.

Quote:
MARJORIE PRIME

DCP.

Quote:
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS: Silly but legendary 3 day wonder from Roger Corman.

BluRay!

Quote:
ARMY OF DARKNESS: Ok. Don't really see the need for this here

Youre telling me!  I ran a gorgeous print of this in October.  For the Thon?  BluRay!

Are we sensing a pattern here?  Roll Eyes

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #62 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:30pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:00pm:
Just wish I could remember the final count when it ended at SF3, I think it was less than 20 brave folks from the sellout crowd that started.

Wow! I've heard various versions. Some say it was only about 1/3 of the house that left, some 1/2 and you say 250+!?

What time was it on?

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:30pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:30pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:00pm:

Wow! I've heard various versions. Some say it was only about 1/3 of the house that left, some 1/2 and you say 250+!?

What time was it on?

12:45AM according to my schedule (Cinema 2 was going to have it at 4:55AM.)
Y'know, I stand with maybe 20 left at it's lowest point, though at the end many may have wandered back to their seats.

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:11am

blrNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

So here is my take on the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good:
Lots of good classic movies I would love to see again and experience with this crowd (CE3K, Time Machine, 7th Voyage, Bride of Frankenstein, 20 million miles).  Several movies I have never seen and sound interesting (ALGOL, Marjorie Prime, World without End, Little Shop of Horrors(1960), Looper).
I am good with two Harryhausen because it's awesome, but that's probably the max for one thon.

The bad:
Still a bit heavy on the horror, but improved from before.  Replacing Frankenstein with Bride of Frankenstein was a good call.   
I love the older sci fi's from the 50's and 60's, but this thon is a bit heavy here.  Of the 14 announced movies, only three were made in the last 40 years.

The ugly:
I haven't seen They Came from Within, but if the reaction was so terrible, why would this be shown again?  I would suggest replacing this with Alpha Gateway.  I just saw this Saturday night at the Fest and it was a really good, recent, independent movie that most probably haven't heard of.

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:04pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

blrNH wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:11am:
The ugly:
I haven't seen They Came from Within, but if the reaction was so terrible, why would this be shown again?  I would suggest replacing this with Alpha Gateway.  I just saw this Saturday night at the Fest and it was a really good, recent, independent movie that most probably haven't heard of.

It's a bit of history that should be fun to re-create. Remember, the screening of THEY CAME FROM WITHIN was Forty years ago! Times have changed considerably since then, as have audience tastes.

We've successfully shown Cronenberg's RABID, SCANNERS and THE FLY at the 'thon with nary a peep. RABID (which was Cronenberg's direct horror follow-up) only a few years ago. No issues. Not to mention RE-ANIMATOR (twice), FROM BEYOND etc..

In a way, it's an experiment to show just how MUCH audience's viewing habits and attitudes have evolved in the four decades of the event.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:20pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #66 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 4:14pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:04pm:
The ugly:

It's a bit of history that should be fun to re-create. Remember, the screening of THEY CAME FROM WITHIN was Forty years ago! Times have changed considerably since then, as have audience tastes.

We've successfully shown Cronenberg's RABID, SCANNERS and THE FLY at the 'thon with nary a peep. RABID (which was Cronenberg's direct horror follow-up) only a few years ago. No issues. Not to mention RE-ANIMATOR (twice), FROM BEYOND etc..

In a way, it's an experiment to show just how MUCH audience's viewing habits and attitudes have evolved in the four decades of the event.

Plus technically both They Came From Within and Night Of The Living Dead have not had a full showing at the marathon. Each was only seen by half a crowd way back at SF3. Now they will each go to 1.5 showings in the 'thon history.
Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 4:50pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

And the results are in!

Close Encounters -
Digital!

Time Machine -
Digital!

7th Voyage -
Digital!

Algol -
Digital!

Marjorie Prime -
Digital!

Shiver - actual
Film!

Bride of Frankenstein - Just came in, & it's
Digital!

Night of Living Dead -
Digital!

World Without End -
Digital!

Little Shop of Horrors -
Digital!

Army of Darkness -
Digital!

20 Million Miles -
Digital!

Looper -
Digital!

So, summing up, there is exactly one film feature print (though, interestingly, a print of Frankenstein has arrived, but why would anyone want to see or run that?), & one film cartoon.  All the rest........digital sludge!   Tongue

Nobody on this board better ever say the word "quality" to me for a long, long time.

As for Tony's usual Stay Awake thing.......why bother?  If you doze off, just buy the discs & watch 'em at home!  Wont make the slightest bit of difference.   Cheesy

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #68 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 11:07pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 4:14pm:
The ugly:

Plus technically both They Came From Within and Night Of The Living Dead have not had a full showing at the marathon. Each was only seen by half a crowd way back at SF3. Now they will each go to 1.5 showings in the 'thon history.
Undecided

Interesting,  I read today on another forum of someone who claims,to NOT have been at sf/3 that he still saw NOTLD  at one of the first two thons. I assume he's mistaken.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 12:05am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 11:07pm:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 4:14pm:
The ugly:

Undecided

Interesting,  I read today on another forum of someone who claims,to NOT have been at sf/3 that he still saw NOTLD  at one of the first two thons. I assume he's mistaken.

Nope, SF3 was the first and only showing. It used to show up as a regular Welles midnight show though so maybe they're confusing seeing it then. Maybe even seeing it Saturday at midnight then coming out and getting in line for SF3. That would explain why they had a print on hand to show. 

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 10:35am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Note the scheduled order for the marathon is as listed  in the masthead.😉

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:51am

blrNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Is Close Encounters going to be shown?  It is listed here, but not in the email that went out a couple of hours ago.

Edit: nevermind.  There was a tweet an hour ago that said that Close Encounters had been accidentally left off of the email.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:03pm

Christopher Dunn   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Had a good time at the marathon. This year was my 23rd consecutive year with my friend. I did feel this year was a bit 50's/60's heavy with practically no modern films in the entire lineup. I do hope future years spread it out a bit more across the decades. There were only two films from this century this year - Looper and Marjorie Prime I wish there would have been a few more. See you next year!

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 11:45am

blrNH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

We didn't stay all night this year.  What was the surprise movie?

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:59pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Can't say. Hint: cartoon movie from 1968.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5