WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
PRE-MARATHON SF/43, 2018 Film Discussion (Read 49686 times)
Reply #45 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 1:44am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:13pm:
Jeff Rapsis wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:05pm:
Hi everyone. Regarding silent ALGOL, about a week ago I was told the film was confirmed for the marathon but have not heard any details since. Would love to do music for this rarely screened (and long lost) title, so hope it runs!

And, we look forward to hopefully seeing you play!

Yeah, I sent a note to Garen asking for an update for the Marathon so I can put in a full revised lineup Friday or Saturday

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 1:54am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 1:44am:
[quote author=12701F701D3130303B3D2A3731305E0 link=1516863935/41#41 date=1517940783][quote author=7B5457576E635041425842310 link=1516863935/40#40 date=1517940308]Hi everyone. Regarding silent ALGOL, about a week ago I was told the film was confirmed for the marathon but have not heard any details since. Would love to do music f this rarely screened (and long lost) title, so hope it runs!

And, we look forward to hopefully seeing you play![/quote
Yeah, I sent a note to Garen asking for an update for the Marathon so I can put in a full revised lineup Friday or Saturday
[/quote

Would love to see this at the ‘thon, I don’t know anything about it. Have a couple of friends coming for the first time and it would be great for them ( and me ) to see a silent movie on the big screen with live accompaniment.

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 3:05am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Lile wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 1:41am:
. I don’t think The Time Machine has played since the early days at the Welles.

Oh, it HAS!
http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319772249

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 3:10am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 3:05am:
Lile wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 1:41am:
. I don’t think The Time Machine has played since the early days at the Welles.

Oh, it HAS!
http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-
bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1319772249

My bad.

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:41pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (replaces original)
ARMY OF DARKNESS

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 3:05pm

Krypto   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Great line-up so far but with BRIDE, LIVING DEAD, LITTLE SHOP and ARMY OF DARKNESS maybe enough horror already?!?

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 3:15pm

G.I. Joe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Fightin' for a better
Marathon

late coming onboard for this year. but, me and my troops will be out there in force next weekend!

the lineup? Pretty good lets see

Close Encounters - great flick to see on the big screen
time Machine - always welcome in my book
7th voyage - Harryhousen is da man
Algol - never heard of it
Marjorie prime - ditto. new movie?
Bride of Frank. - love it
Night of Living Dead - zombies at the thon? cool stuff never seen it on the big screen
World Without End - cheezy 50s fun haven't seen this one in ages!
Little Shop of Horrors - feed me!
army of darkness - kick ass flick, but why here?
20 million miles - more Harry!
Looper - liked this one when I saw it on cable

that's it? any more?

see ya all next week!

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 3:29pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

So far.....

Close Encounters -
Digital!

Time Machine -
Digital!

7th Voyage -
Digital!

Algol -
Digital!

Marjorie Prime -
Digital!

Bride of Frankenstein - Not sure!
Night of Living Dead -
Digital!

World Without End -
Digital!

Little Shop of Horrors -
Digital!

Army of Darkness -
Digital!

20 Million Miles -
Digital!

Looper -
Digital!

I'll avoid further scathing comments!

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #53 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:33pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Love the lineup, wish there were a few more prints.
The Seattle contingent will be a little larger this year.

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:24pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Not too bad a lineup.
Lots of films that will be fun to watch on the big screen and others that will be fun with the marathon audience.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #55 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 2:45pm

albatross   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

This might be a 'meet and greet' year... not much in the schedule excites me...

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:18pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My quick thoughts on the dozen movies in the lineup--

THEY CAME FROM WITHIN aka SHIVERS: Just announced! 35mm Film Print. We get to recreate the infamous SF/3 incident where Cinema One so rebelled against Cronenberg's film that it was yanked from the schedule in Cinema Two. The replacement? NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD! So, 40 years later, the experiment is reborn! Which will be more shocking to 2018 eyes? (NOTLD was 'on hand' at the Welles because it was a long-running Midnight show there)

7th VOYAGE and 20 MILLION MILES: one Harryhausen per thon is enough, but, hey, we haven't seen 20 Million in two decades.

CE3K: 40th anniversary and all, it was a no brainer. too bad we couldn't celebrate that other big '77 sci-fi film. Don't understand fully why there wasn't a re-release last year for the big 4 O. Legal squabbles with Lucas, Fox and Disney?

LOOPER: One of those movies that was saved from the Black Hole -- Big movies that don't play the year after they came out tend to be forgotten. I fought for this one

ALGOL: Always great to see a silent with, presumably, live music (Jeff Rapsis) at the 'thon. New DCP restoration

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN: one of my all time faves. I know folks wanted to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the book. The original only played 6 years ago so it was switched out with this. BONUS! Mary Shelley is a character in this film!

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: excited to see this on the big screen for its 50th anniversary (the only other screening of it I attended was at the old Frankenstein's bar near B.U.!). Comes at a propitious time for me since I'm writing an article on the making of it! (oh, yes, the 'thon will be mentioned!)

WORLD WITHOUT END: Got to meet the fine folks at the Warner Archive this past summer in San Diego at Comic Con. When this title came up as one of their new Blu Rays I wanted it right away! It hasn't played since SF/2!! A print was found in the early 80s but it was 16mm and pan&scan so got nixed.

TIME MACHINE: Another Warner Archive special. Hard to believe this cornerstone sci-fi classic has only played twice - the same number of times as GALAXINA!

MARJORIE PRIME: One of last year's better low budget sci-fi indies. Some nice A.I. musings; should play well with the crowd.

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS: Silly but legendary 3 day wonder from Roger Corman. I worked with Mel Welles (Mushnick) and he claims to have helped co-direct the actors allowing Roger to concentrate on pumping this out that quickly. Ah, everybody wants a piece of the credit when something becomes a cult classic! RIP. Mel.

ARMY OF DARKNESS: Ok. Don't really see the need for this here, especially considering the top heavy horror content already. I'm also not the film's biggest fan. Sue me.

Not a bad lineup, but too much horror (plus a fantasy or two). I do look forward to seeing as many old faces as possible - and, meet some new ones.  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:55pm

Krypto   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

An e-mail just went out with this "final marathon lineup":

ALGOL (1920) Music by Jeff Rapsis. German Expressionism. Oscar winner Emil Jannings
SHIVERS, They Came from Within. (1975) The scourge of SF3 returns!
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) 50th Anniversary! The seminal zombie film!
WORLD WITH OUT END (1956) Mars astronauts return & mutants are ruling. Trump?
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3RD KIND (1977) Tones are playing in your brain.
LOOPER (2012) Before Last Jedi Rian Johnsnon got all time travel-y
20 MILLION MILES FROM EARTH (1957) A Harryhausen SFX extravaganza!
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935) Just a boy & a girl way before #MeToo
MARJORIE PRIME (2017) Are memoires or holograms enough?
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960) Classic. Great support - Nicholson, Dick Miller
7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1958) OK fantasy, not SciFi, but still Harryhausen.
THE TIME MACHINE (1960) Based on HG Wells' tale with Rod Taylor & the Elois
UNANNOUNCED SPECIAL (1968)

Is ARMY OF DARKNESS out?

IP Logged

Reply #58 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 5:00pm

Krypto   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

And, if so, ARMY lasted shorter than Anthony Scarramuci.  As a parent it's frustrating to see the inconsisent messages between this board, the Facebook group and the e-mails... I just need to know which films are coming so I know what ones I have to take my kid out for!   Embarrassed

Here are all the films announced on the apparently official FB group that aren't in that list: I MARRIED A MONSTER, BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW, COLOSSAL, SOURCE CODE, SUPERMAN and FRANKENSTEIN.  Hope those folks are checking their e-mail!

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 5:39pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Krypto wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 5:00pm:
And, if so, ARMY lasted shorter than Anthony Scarramuci.  As a parent it's frustrating to see the inconsisent messages between this board, the Facebook group and the e-mails... I just need to know which films are coming so I know what ones I have to take my kid out for!   Embarrassed

Here are all the films announced on the apparently official FB group that aren't in that list: I MARRIED A MONSTER, BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW, COLOSSAL, SOURCE CODE, SUPERMAN and FRANKENSTEIN.  Hope those folks are checking their e-mail!

As far as I know, ARMY is still in. Must have been a typo. It was in Saturday's email: " new additions:
20 Million Miles from Earth
Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
Algol (1920) w/ live music
Army of Darkness
Bride of Frankenstein replaces Frankenstein"

SUPERMAN is being shown Saturday as part of the Festival in 35mm in the big house.  BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN replaced FRANKENSTEIN.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5