WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
PRE-MARATHON SF/43, 2018 Film Discussion (Read 49233 times)
Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:05am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Announcements are about to begin. Post your comments and reactions here.

1st Announcement: THE POST Director's CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND! Newly remastered in 4K! Not shown at the Marathon proper since SF/10!
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 1:40am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 12:37pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:05am:
1st Announcement: THE POST Director's CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND! Newly remastered in 4K! Not shown at the Marathon proper since SF/10!

And youre saying that a 4K DCP -- which we can only run in 2K -- is "proper"?

What have you been smoking?

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 12:50pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

No, the 'proper' quote references that the CE3K Special Edition was shown as part of a lightly attended 'Night Flight' in the upstairs screening room at the Coolidge, but was not part of the Main Marathon that year. It has not been at the main marathon since SF/10 at the Welles.

Story about the restoration: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/close-encounters-third-kind-2017...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:07pm

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

I haven't seen this film since it came out when I was 7, apart from the bits and pieces that have been quoted, remixed, and outright stolen, the fate of so many greats.  Looking forward to it!

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 9:25pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 12:50pm:
No, the 'proper' quote references that the CE3K Special Edition was shown as part of a lightly attended 'Night Flight' in the upstairs screening room at the Coolidge, but was not part of the Main Marathon that year. It has not been at the main marathon since SF/10 at the Welles.

And my point is that it still wont be, because this DCP version is going to look as awful as every single other DCP film-to-video conversion we have ever run.  Not ONE of them has looked anywhere close to its analogue counterpart, and this wont be the exception.
     I ran this in 70mm when it came out, & I ran every version since.  And this will look nothing like those, & thats not to even mention that the movie has dated horribly.

Quote:

Okay, Ive read this, & calling this a "restoration" is the usual abuse of language.  A "restoration" is a return to something that existed before.  This is a new version, & not something that existed before.  And, typically, the studio treated the original elements with such ridiculous carelessness, they now have to go in & try to clean up the mess they themselves made.

anu3bis wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:07pm:
I haven't seen this film since it came out when I was 7, apart from the bits and pieces that have been quoted, remixed, and outright stolen, the fate of so many greats.  Looking forward to it!

Obviously, as far as I'm concerned, you still wont be seeing it!
     But hey, whatever floats your boat!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:46pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Having seen the restoration this past August, I thought the digital presentation looked pretty damn good. The colors were vibrant and it still had the proper grain of the original. The only drawback was a few soft-looking shots and based on the print I saw at the Brattle a few years back, those were an element of the original photography.

It's still one of Spielberg's greatest works and an excellent start to the line-up. We could use something beautiful and optimistic right about now.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 11:07am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD with SFX by the great Ray Harryhausen has just been announced! It will be a Marathon debut.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 10:44pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 26th, 2018 at 11:07am:
7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD with SFX by the great Ray Harryhausen has just been announced! It will be a Marathon debut.

Sounds fun, am looking forward to it. Do you know if this is a print or is it digital?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 11:39pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Lile wrote on Jan 26th, 2018 at 10:44pm:
Do you know if this is a print or is it digital?

It's digital.  Naturally.  Why would it be anything else but digital?
     Enjoy that big screen TV!  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 11:28am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Just announced- The Original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD! 40th Anniversary and a tribute to Director George Romero who passed away last year. The movie figures in Marathon lore when it was shown as a last minute replacement in Cinema Two at SF/3 when the folks in Cinema One had a bad reaction to Cronenberg's THEY CAME FROM WITHIN. Now, with only a single screen, everyone will get a chance - unless you duck down in t he microcinema, I suppose.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 6:56pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Not a bad choice, I do like this movie. A third third of the lineup is now in place.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 12:33pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Next up, 1931's Classic FRANKENSTEIN, in honor of the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley's novel. FRANKENSTEIN previously played the 'thon at SF/37

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:24am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Keeping with the Anniversary theme, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE has been announced for the 'thon upon it's big 40th Anniversary. Previously shown at SF/30.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:37am

i am kirok   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

David the Projectionist wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 12:37pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:05am:

And youre saying that a 4K DCP -- which we can only run in 2K -- is "proper"?

What have you been smoking?

i'd like some oyster crackers with the alphabet soup.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:42am

i am kirok   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:24am:
Keeping with the Anniversary theme, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE has been announced for the 'thon upon it's big 40th Anniversary. Previously shown at SF/30.

if we're gonna do super heroes let's do "death pool"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5