WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

The Jan 19-20 Cleveland/Cwru SF Marathon. (Read 3456 times)
Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:12pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

The following is the list for the CWRU/Cleveland marathon as of 1/9/18.
Friday, January 19
8:00pm      Galaxy Quest (1999, PG, 35mm)
10:300pm      World Without End (1956, Approved, Blu-ray?)
Saturday, January 20
12:30am      Deep Blue Sea (1999, R, Blu-ray)
2:00am      Surprise 1 (????, Approved, Blu-ray)
4:00am      Repo Man (1984, R, DCP)
6:00am      Red Dawn (1984, PG-13, DVD)
8:00am      Big Hero 6 (2015, PG, 35mm)
10:00am      Frau im Mond [Woman in the Moon] (1929, NR, Blu-ray)
12:00pm      #9 - TBA
2:00pm      #10 - TBA
3:30pm      Idiocracy (2006, R, 35mm)
5:15pm      Surprise 2 (????, PG, 35mm)
7:30pm      #13 - TBA
9:00pm      Blade Runner 2049 (2017, R, DCP)
11:59pm      #15 - TBA

I personally have extreme objections to RED DAWN, the first movie actually endorsed by the NRA. Not wanting to get into a debate on political correctness, I'll just say that it is crap on oh so many levels.
The rest of the list is at best shaky. Hopefully the 5 still to come will redeem it. The "Surprises" are often oldies of 50s or 60s vintage. I will be there.

Note that the FRAU IM MONDE, Fritz Lang epic, is probably the 95 minute US edited version rather than the longest version, 200 minutes.
I wish that I could say that I had seen the long version, but I missed my chance twice. Once with live accompaniment at the Cleveland Cinematheque, and once on a streaming channel at home. At home I fell asleep somewhere around one hour into it.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 11:26pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I also have problems with Red Dawn on many levels, but the salient reason for a sci fi marathon is that it’s not science fiction. I don’t know anything about Hero 6. A number of people have suggested Women in the Moon, but it is very long.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 11:37pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Lile wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 11:26pm:
I also have problems with Red Dawn on many levels, but the salient reason for a sci fi marathon is that it’s not science fiction. I don’t know anything about Hero 6. A number of people have suggested Women in the Moon, but it is very long.

WOMAN IN THE MOON was actually Booked a couple of years ago. But, at around 3 hours (depending on the copy), it was set aside. The only 98 copy I could find was a bootleg public domain DVD. Not sure if Cleveland found something better.

Their schedule is odd, but, that's seems par for the course. From the sounds of it, they don't have the hardcore contingent that Boston or Columbus does who live and die with the event. And, few - any? - who are like me and stay up for the entire duration.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 1:41pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Here's what looks like the final list.
Friday, January 19
8:00pm      Galaxy Quest (1999, PG, 35mm)
10:00pm      World Without End (1956, Approved, Blu-ray?)
11:35pm      Deep Blue Sea (1999, R, Blu-ray)
Saturday, January 20
1:35am      Surprise 1 (????, Approved, Blu-ray)
3:35am      Repo Man (1984, R, DCP)
5:25am      Red Dawn (1984, PG-13, DVD)
7:35am      Big Hero 6 (2015, PG, 35mm)
9:35am      Frau im Mond [Woman in the Moon] (1929, NR, Blu-ray)
12:40pm      X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963, NR, DVD)
2:30pm      Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worring and Love The Bomb (1964, PG, DCP)
4:05pm      Idiocracy (2006, R, 35mm)
5:45pm      Surprise 2 (????, PG, 35mm)
7:30pm      Ghost in the Shell (1995, NR, DCP)
9:10pm      Blade Runner 2049 (2017, R, DCP)
Sunday, January 21
12:10am      Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017, PG-13, DCP)

Responding to LA's comment. List odd? Yes.
As a 30 year attendee I can confirm that Cleveland has a hard core of attendees comprising somewhere around a third of the audience, similar in knowledge and interest to the core at Boston and Columbus.
Oddly students are not a huge percentage of the overall number. The audience definitely skews older.
I used to have a handle on who programmed. Now it seems to be by committee with student film society members having the final vote, with the projectionist (for 43 years) and the faculty adviser (for more than 20 years) providing knowledge and  thought.
The schedule always has two or three recent,  not necessarily great, movies. Then real consideration is used to pick another half of so of the schedule. Then they fill it out with arbitrarily chosen crap.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2018 at 5:14pm by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged