WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

WONDER WOMAN (2017): Keep Calm & Enjoy (Read 1492 times)
Jun 7th, 2017 at 2:53pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

WONDER WOMAN is a fine, solid superhero film. Usually, that would suffice, but, in this social media age, the movie has become a symbol. A cause. As a result, it is being both over and under praised, often for reasons far removed from what is actually on screen.

I didn't grow up watching the Lynda Carter TV series and have only the vaguest memories of the Cathy Lee Crosby TV movie, so my main introduction to the character was the Super Friends cartoons of the 70s with her invisible plane and truth lasso. I give credit to D.C., Warners and the filmmakers for casting a foreign actress with a distinct accent, keeping it a period production and for shooting it on 35mm Film (even seen on digital, it gives the film a certain heavier, more dense look).

On a story level, it follows a pretty standard comic book origin story, with a couple of unique twists. The pacing is fairly slow and certain elements didn't really need to be lingered on so long (it's the 377th superhero film - we can fill in most of the details). But, Director Patty Jenkins does a really good job of delivering on the promise of giving this female led tale a genuine P.O.V., without overstating her case. It's a tricky balance but she pulls it off. Of course, she is abetted by a strong cast, pretty much from top to bottom, and not confined to the leads. Casting David Thewlis in the pivotal Sir Patrick role really makes the film work (so, too Pine as the male lead). Naturally, if Gal Gadot didn't succeed in the title role, the whole thing collapses. Gadot is more than up to the challenge. She more than carries off the different beats to her character (and the story). And, yes, this ex-Israeli military woman convinces as a warrior (although a couple of shots do give away that her stunt double is a bit thicker body-wise). Hopefully, future films in the series will allow her to display a lighter side to the character.

The only real problems with the film (aside from the pacing issues) are that there is tension between the superhero storyline and the deadly serious WWI backdrop. It's not fatal by any means, but you have a sense that they wanted to be able to let Wonder Woman loose, but felt constrained at times. Add in the dark ugly hues employed (despite Jenkins in the Director's seat, it was still produced by Zach Snyder, after all). And, sadly, there is the inevitable superhero movie cliche of the 'epic' battle at the end with an accompanying CGI overload (and can we please put a moritorium on slow-mo/ramping digital effects during battle scenes?). Fortunately, the aftermath of the battle and the epilogue return the film to it's emotional core.

WONDER WOMAN is just fine as a film, but, it's not the greatest thing since sliced-bread as it's strongest backers would have it. It does very well, but, it stays pretty much within the lane of current superhero movies, even if superior to most. The female touch and perspective ARE very important and I am heartened to see so many young women and girls who have bonded with the character (and many of their elders even openly weeping with joy), but, the over-praise has resulted in the inevitable backlash. I urge everybody to approach the film with perspective. Just sit back and savor it. As the British might say: Keep Calm and Enjoy.

P.S. Gregson-Williams' "score" is awful. More like blathering notes used as a sound effect, more than actual musical backing. I put score in quotes in deference to actual composers like Herrmann, Rosza and John Williams.

IP Logged