WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

ALIEN: COVENANT the end of the line? (Read 2336 times)
May 29th, 2017 at 7:55pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I'd like to report that the crushingly poor box office and mediocre reviews are all undeserved - but, I can't. I liked PROMETHEUS more than most because I thought it had a decent and fairly original sci-fi story about creation - artificial and natural. Unfortunately, that tale was crucially compromised by trying to shoe-horn it into the Alien franchise.

Now, with COVENANT, we have a movie that is trying to serve as both a sequel to PROMETHEUS and a direct prequel to the original ALIEN. It satisfies as neither. COVENANT is well made, with some striking production design and good SFX. Michael Fassbender is a superb actor and he does a solid job at bringing unique characteristics to two different androids from the same model line. The rest of the cast is largely solid, with the exception of Danny McBride. But, the script is muddled and Ridley Scott's Direction, while technically assured as always, isn't inspired, either. Large stretches of the movie play as an alternate version/ remake of the original film in the series (with bits and pieces of ALIENS, a touch of #3 and even some BLADE RUNNER tossed into the stew) - but, to what purpose? The bland reaction by critics and audiences should serve as a loud signal that the time has come for Ridley Scott and the studio to let this franchise go into hibernation in some film vault pod of it's own...until the inevitable reboot down the road, natch.

P.S. How does Jed Kurzel merit an "original music by" credit? So much of it is a variation of Jerry Goldsmith's brilliant themes from the original film (with more than a nod to the style of James Horner's sequel work). Shamefully, Goldsmith's only mention is buried at almost the very end of the credits lumped with the other "Songs". Songs? Not even an Themes based on acknowledgment? Really? Sure, it's a great credit to have, but, wow.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 10:14pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

My thoughts exactly. Should have been called Alien: Dissapointment. Angry

IP Logged