WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

COLOSSAL, 2017 Dir. Timecrimes' Nacho Vigalondo (Read 3289 times)
Apr 19th, 2017 at 10:29pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

COLOSSAL is one of those movies where even the description could be considered a spoiler by the biggest sticklers of the term. So, if you've managed to avoid seeing the trailers or ads for it and you are uber spoiler-phobic - go away now.

(I don't like spoilers myself, so I will remain pretty vague on details)

Nacho Vigalondo's TIMECRIMES (2007) was a solid B Movie time travel (shown at this February's 'thon) effort that's been overpraised in some quarters as one of the best of that subgenre. Similarly, COLOSSAL has been overpraised as a oddball mashup of genres - it's a quirky indie dramedy crossed with a sci-fi monster flick. The quirk factor is high from the get-go with Anne Hathaway as one of those loveable messes who can't get her life in order. Soon she ends up in her old hometown and meets up with a childhood friend (Jason Sudekis). And, then..........there's a giant monster in South Korea. The two stories interconnect in a fairly unexpected way. So far. Not bad. Unfortunately, from then on, the 'quirky indie' portion goes from light fun to fairly serious drama to eventual just plain sourness. It also takes over the movie, leaving the sci-fi elements to the background.

As with TIMECRIMES, Vigalondo is more comfortable with the sci-fi elements, and less so with the drama. And, the imbalance finally tips the movie on the wrong side of the ledger. Further, the overpraise is mainly coming from mainstream critics who find the premise more novel than seasoned genre folks who've seen plenty of symbolic 'Monsters From The Id' tales.  Wink

Hathaway and Sudekis are good in their roles, even if the script fails them in the end. The SFX are surprisingly solid for a modestly budget effort. It's just unfortunate that two halves of the movie pull it apart, rather than create a whole.

P.S. Nitpick: After a couple of days of predictable Monster mayhem at a certain place and time - why would HUGE crowds gather right there just begging to become monster meat?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:46pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i  loved it. i gave it a psychological interpretation. it's too bad nobody saw this movie. it had competition. marathon audience would give it a good reception.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 7:21am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:46pm:
i  loved it. i gave it a psychological interpretation. it's too bad nobody saw this movie. it had competition. marathon audience would give it a good reception.

-- Oh, I got what it was trying to do, but, it was just too muddled.
-- I saw it the first day of very limited release. I predicted right then that it wouldn't have broad appeal. It wasn't because of 'competition'. There just isn't a big crowd for a oh too quirky mumblecore sci-fi flick.
--Yes, it would do well with the Marathon crowd who goes overboard for any semi-competant recent movie, but often sits on their hands when an equally - or far better - older film plays.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:27pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged