WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Suggestions for SF/43, 2018! (Read 21253 times)
Mar 5th, 2017 at 4:03pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Start 'em up!

Here's a couple - rebook KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS and WIZARD OF SPEED AND TIME short!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 12:27pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I'm still hoping we can see The Last Man On Earth (1924) silent film with live music accompaniment. Or even Woman In The Moon.
Maybe one of the Dr Who movies too.

Nothing wrong with repeats but there are still a bunch of ones never shown. Hey we can get to Revenge Of The Creature now that we've had the original one shown.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:42pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Given the rather uninspiring titles on this list, Rollerball seems like it might be a good choice.

2019, at least, seems to have better options.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 1:43pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I like ROLLERBALL as an idea for next year.

The 1975 original is one of those movies that even Marathon old-timers probably think must have shown by now. It hasn't. I came close to nailing down a vintage 35mm print, but, that's another whole long story involving OJ Simpson of all people!

Jay Seaver wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:42pm:
Given the rather uninspiring titles on this list, Rollerball seems like it might be a good choice.

2019, at least, seems to have better options.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 1:58am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Would like to put a plug in for Green Slime, it's so bad everybody would have fun with it. Would like to see Midnight Special, I would rather have seen it than The Giant Papier Mache Boulder.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:41pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

How about an all LONG movies mini-thon!? 2001, Russian SOLARIS, INTERSTELLAR. Great for a looooooooooong middle of the night nap!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 5:41pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:41pm:
How about an all LONG movies mini-thon!? 2001, Russian SOLARIS, INTERSTELLAR. Great for a looooooooooong middle of the night nap!

How about an all serial marathon. Radar Men From the Moon was around 200 minutes, if the rest of them were in that neighborhood, it would fit your criteria.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 6:06pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

In years gone by this would have been an active topic as of months ago. Not just a few posts in March and a couple this month.
Of course now there is no such thing as an active topic. But thanks for trying LA.

I am sure that  the worker bees have roughed out a basic list already, so this is more than a little late.

The other two fests that I frequent are a little more interested in relatively new films than Boston, so I have made the following suggestion already to CLE and Columbus. But I do expect to come to my natal town Boston's festival again this this year - so -

The chief reviewer for the NYT, A.O. Scott, listed a movie that I had missed,‘WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES’ in his ten best of the year list.
I quote, "Never has human extinction seemed so richly merited, and rarely has digital ingenuity been put to such sublime use."
The first two in the series RISE and DAWN were among the best dystopias for plot, action, character, setting and any other characteristics you want to name, ever filmed. Scott put #3 as even better.
I would like any of the three. All three? would be far too much of a good thing even for Cleveland a 30 hour festival and would definitely overload Boston,  but I would happily watch whatever made it to any fest.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 6:14pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

And responding to the LOONG post.
How about a night or two in the  festival buildup to the marathon showing serials? Or long films?
Not necessarily a crowd pleaser, but if you did serials you could give free popcorn and play up the camp aspect.
I am an old fart and expect to spend an overabundance of time at one or another of the Festival shows. I'd come.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 3:03pm

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

I've put out the call on my lists for women-led films, including actors, directors, and editors. I'll be adding to the suggestion thread as they come in:

Turbo Kid: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3672742/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

Tank Girl (last showed 20 years ago): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114614/

Woman in the Moon (Frau im Mond):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019901/

What else do folks have?

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:32am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

One last late minute suggestion, how about the Wallace and Gromit short: A Grand Day Out.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:16am

Jeff Rapsis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

I'm always ready to do live music for 'Frau im Mond' if it ever gets scheduled. Besides being a wild early sci-fi story, it's one of the most underrated films of the silent era. And even though the full-length version clocks in at nearly three hours, I've found it always kills when presented as Lang originally intended: in its original cut, in a restored print, and in a theater and with live music. C'mon, let's do it! Shared experiences like these are the reason the Marathon exists, as they're impossible to recreate in someone's living room.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 12:16pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

ANY time Jeff plays for us, it is THE highlight of the event! I know we are working on something that may play this year. Hope it works out.

Jeff Rapsis wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:16am:
I'm always ready to do live music for 'Frau im Mond' if it ever gets scheduled. Besides being a wild early sci-fi story, it's one of the most underrated films of the silent era. And even though the full-length version clocks in at nearly three hours, I've found it always kills when presented as Lang originally intended: in its original cut, in a restored print, and in a theater and with live music. C'mon, let's do it! Shared experiences like these are the reason the Marathon exists, as they're impossible to recreate in someone's living room.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:47am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Never seen Frau im Mond, I’ld love to see it at the ‘thon this year. I heard it was nixed last year because of length.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:40pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jeff Rapsis wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:16am:
I'm always ready to do live music for 'Frau im Mond' if it ever gets scheduled. Besides being a wild early sci-fi story, it's one of the most underrated films of the silent era. And even though the full-length version clocks in at nearly three hours, I've found it always kills when presented as Lang originally intended

Lile wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 1:47am:
Never seen Frau im Mond, I’d love to see it at the ‘thon this year.

With all due respect to my dear pal Jeff: Lile, you really dont want to see this movie, because it sucks, sucks, sucks.  It's boring, over-long, dated CRAP.
     But, you know, dont listen to me: no one does.  Get bored out of your mind watching this fiasco of a snoozefest.  And dont complain to me as you slog your way into Hour Two (which feels like Hour Five) & ask yourself when this POS is ever going to end.  It never does!  And I'll be right there to remind you that youd "love to see it!"
     Fortunately, I doubt it will be booked.  And if it is, for some suicidal reason, itll be digital, because of course it will, because everything mostly is now, right?

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2