WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Upcoming films - 2016 (Read 3399 times)
Sep 6th, 2016 at 10:43am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Arrival is due out on Nov. 11, 2016 on IMAX. It's based on the Nebula Award winning novella Story of Your Life by author Ted Chiang and stars Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker. Already had it's first release at the Venice Film Festival to good reviews. For the cast alone it looks interesting.

Lots of fantasy, all of which are getting enough PR money to choke a horse. I am enough of a sucker to probably go to see all of them.
Dr. Strange with Benedict Cumberpatch.
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. with Eva Green (who I like). Directed by Tim Burton.
Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. Written by J.K. Rowling & dovetailing with her Potter universe.

Also lots of horror. I'll leave those to others.

Any small films that or other releases that anyone's aware of?

edit: I actually went & looked around for other listings. Found - - -
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story due out Dec. 16.
Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. due out Dec. 21.
The Circle With Tom Hanks & Emma Watson - No date. Probably not until 2017.
The BLOB! remake with Samuel Jackson. Announced for 2016, but you can bet it'll be later. Here's a link.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpJWzLuT_vg
Avatar 2 Again. Announced for 2016. I have my doubts.
I'm sure that there are more.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 9:26am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Avatar 2 is now announced for December 2018, but I sure wouldn't bet any money on that either.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2016 at 10:16pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/starship-troopers-may-be-controvers...

Why 'Starship Troopers' May Be Too Controversial to Adapt Faithfully

Already the news that Columbia Pictures is planning a new movie adaptation of Starship Troopers, the sci-fi war story published by Robert A. Heinlein in 1959, has divided social media over whether or not it's a good idea. The conflict isn't just over the amount of love fans have for Paul Verhoeven's 1997 movie, however; it's also about whether or not the world needs a Starship Troopers movie right now.

The concern of some is that any movie that attempts to stay more faithful to the original Heinlein (as this new version from Fast & Furious producer Neal H. Moritz is planning on) is doomed to be, at the very least, as controversial as the source material. Despite being not only one of Heinlein's best-selling titles and winning the prestigious Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1960, Starship Troopers has been decried as promoting fascism and being racist in its creation of a society where democracy has been severely restricted and warfare against the alien "bugs" comes with its own coded terminology that hews too closely to real-world racism for many....

IP Logged