WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
SF/42 Announced Films reaction thread, Official (Read 39673 times)
Reply #30 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 10:48pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

Seems like a lot of the usual marathon elements (a big sci-fi movie from the past year, a goofy schlock movie, a silent movie) are falling by the wayside, though access to prints could certainly be a factor.

I'm happy to see Time Crimes on the list as that's one I've always figured would be a good fit and Brazil and Predator on a big screen are always welcome.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:08pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

As I've noted before, I'm also a member to the SF/4 initiation club!

Smiley

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 4:37pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 1:42pm:
Dinsdale wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:22pm:
Rest of the line up has been announced. Unfortunately I'm not impressed. Too many recent movies.

I think it's a pretty varied lineup. We also have to keep in mind that we are trying to appeal to a younger demo now. Maybe, to you or me, something like GALAXY QUEST or GATTACA is too "recent", but, to somebody less advanced in age, GALAXY QUEST is a long time ago. 17 years is the same gap as between TIME MACHINE and STAR WARS! Even HITCHHIKER is 10 years old - the same space as between BLADE RUNNER and SILENT RUNNING!

Would I personally liked to have seen something from the 70s? Yes, but, it's not about one person or even one demographic.

It will still be a great event. Hopefully next year will have more of what veteran Marathoids(SF4 was my first) are looking for.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 9:02pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 11:08pm:
As I've noted before, I'm also a member to the SF/4 initiation club!

Smiley

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 4:37pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 1:42pm:
Dinsdale wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:22pm:
Rest of the line up has been announced. Unfortunately I'm not impressed. Too many recent movies.

I think it's a pretty varied lineup. We also have to keep in mind that we are trying to appeal to a younger demo now. Maybe, to you or me, something like GALAXY QUEST or GATTACA is too "recent", but, to somebody less advanced in age, GALAXY QUEST is a long time ago. 17 years is the same gap as between TIME MACHINE and STAR WARS! Even HITCHHIKER is 10 years old - the same space as between BLADE RUNNER and SILENT RUNNING!

Would I personally liked to have seen something from the 70s? Yes, but, it's not about one person or even one demographic.

It will still be a great event. Hopefully next year will have more of what veteran Marathoids(SF4 was my first) are looking for.

Hmmph, newbies. Smiley

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:58pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

UncleTim wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 10:48pm:
Seems like a lot of the usual marathon elements (a big sci-fi movie from the past year, a goofy schlock movie, a silent movie) are falling by the wayside, though access to prints could certainly be a factor.

I'm sorry: did you say "access to prints"? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

What marathon have you been attending? 

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 2:34pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Now that we have a real final (?) schedule...here are my quick takes:

Overall, quite good with the new adds and drops. I would personally have liked to have seen either SSSSSSSSSSS or KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS stay since we always need a jolt of schlock. I personally did not care for MIDNIGHT SPECIAL (not nearly 'special'enough), but I am surprised it didn't make the cut.

BRAZIL - One of the greats. Or, at least, near-greats. I personally don't need to see it again, but, I understand than many younger thoners have probably never seen it on the big screen.

TIME CRIMES - One of those smaller movies I never got around to seeing. Really looking forward to it. But, two subtitled movies on the same lineup?

GALAXY QUEST - a lot of fun, and a worthy repeat. Nice shout-out to Alan Rickman, too

MAD MAX FURY ROAD - a welcome injection of action to the previously announced lineup. Should be a crowd pleaser. Still surprised that THUNDERDOME has never shown considering the popularity of this series with the 'thon crowd. I've been pushing for it...since about 1986..............  Roll Eyes

PREDATOR - One of those odd cases of a popular SF title that somehow fell into the 'Black Hole' of 'thon programming finally emerges to make the lineup.

TREMORS - Like Galaxy Quest, a worthy and fun repeat

GATTACA - One of those movies that keeps climbing up the list of faves for hardcore sci-fi fans. Another worthy repeat - but, maybe too many repeats for one schedule??

HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE - Should be a nice cross-generational film for the crowd - a 70s phenomenon updated with modern production values

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON - The Somerville doesn't do 3D in the big house, so it looks like this will be 'flat'. That's fine. The old Red-Blue glasses type 3D was never all that great anyway. I'd rather see the Creature clean and crisply on the big screen!!

JOHN DIES AT THE END - Should be a good late night cult flick

NEITHER HEAVEN NOR EARTH - The second subtitled foreign film. I look forward to it, but, will it be too much of a stretch for many 'thoners?

PAPER MACHE BOULDER - Have you watched the trailer? Looks like a down under Galaxy Quest.  <iframe width="320" height="276" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DhtsgboAMUM?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROCKETEER - Looking forward to seeing this. Haven't since it came out

Overall, pretty good. Get yer popcorn ready!!

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 9:29pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

I second the "to many repeats" sentiment. With so much still unseen we deserve better.

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 12:12am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 9:29pm:
I second the "to many repeats" sentiment. With so much still unseen we deserve better.

The repeats may be blamed on the insistence of showing as many films in 35MM as possible.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 10:20am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 7th, 2017 at 12:12am:
The repeats may be blamed on the insistence of showing as many films in 35MM as possible.

Once again, I humbly ask: what marathon have you been attending?  "As many films in 35mm as possible?"   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Oh, it is to laugh.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 12:35am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 7th, 2017 at 10:20am:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 7th, 2017 at 12:12am:

Once again, I humbly ask: what marathon have you been attending?  "As many films in 35mm as possible?"   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Oh, it is to laugh.

Not saying most of the marathon is 35MM, but Garen does like to book ones he can find. Of the 4 repeats, Galaxy Quest, Brazil, Tremors and Gattaca, would not be surprised if 3 are 35MM prints. Rocketeer is also 35MM and Mad Max may be 70MM.

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 12:49am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

My quick take on the lineup.

Galaxy Quest- Great film and really funny, even moreso with the Marathon crowd.
Time Crimes- decent trailer and looks interesting.
Mad Max Fury Road- Haven't seen it since original release and look forward to seeing it on the Somerville big screen.
Predator- Arnie's films have a certain charm now, almost time capsules of another film making era.
Brazil-Always great on the big screen, so many deatils that you find something new each viewing.
Tremors-A good solid monster movie.
Gattaca- Really good sci-fi film noir. Alan Arkin is great in it.
Hithhikers Guide To The Galaxy- Not as good as the radio show but still pretty funny and another that should play even better with the 'thon crowd.
Creature From The Black Lagoon- A classic, too bad we're showing it flat as the old 3D glasses add some extra campy fun.
John Dies At The End- Good and weird film from the director of Phantasm.
Neither Heaven Nor Earth- Might be my nap or dinner break
The Rocketeer-Haven't caught this film since a sneak preview at the old Paris Cinema in Boston. Looking forward to seeing how well it stands up.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 10:42am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 12:35am:
Not saying most of the marathon is 35MM, but Garen does like to book ones he can find.

Objection, your Honour, draws conclusion from facts not in evidence.
     Whats your proof of this?  You think there werent prints of Gremlins, Blade Runner, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Pitch Black, all of which we ran digitally last year?  There were, there are, & we didnt get them.  So please dont post statements that are demonstrably false.  Thank you.

Quote:
Of the 4 repeats, Galaxy Quest, Brazil, Tremors and Gattaca, would not be surprised if 3 are 35MM prints. Rocketeer is also 35MM and Mad Max may be 70MM.

Rocketeer is 35.  Thats confirmed.  No 70mm prints of Mad Max Fury Road were ever struck, so cross that off your list.  We'll see about the others.  I'm not holding my breath!

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 4:27pm

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Of the 4 repeats, Galaxy Quest, Brazil, Tremors and Gattaca, would not be surprised if 3 are 35MM prints.

The word has just come down that none of these will be film prints, all of them are digital, so in terms of you "would not be surprised".....surprise!   Shocked Shocked Shocked

As things stand now (always subject to change, of course), we will be running TWO -- count 'em, TWO -- prints out of thirteen titles.  They are Rocketeer & Hitchhiker's Guide.

Now, you may ask, are there prints available of any of these other titles?  And the answer would be, there sure are.  We actually ran a couple of them recently.

So please feel free to go into further detail about how we "show as many films in 35mm as possible."  Just kindly do it with some care: if I laugh myself to death over your explanation, there wont be anyone to run all this video!   Grin Grin Grin

I'm not even going to post a print report this year.  Why bother?  Sigh.   Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 6:10pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Well, that is very sad to hear. Is this because the prints are more expensive to rent?

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 11:50pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Based my guess on the info sent out by Garen with the marathon list that we'd

"Fury Road is intended to be in 70mm, waiting on confirmation. There are about 4 - 35 mm prints, one bluray and the rest DCP."

But things don't always work out.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 12:18am

The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

David the Projectionist wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 4:27pm:
Of the 4 repeats, Galaxy Quest, Brazil, Tremors and Gattaca, would not be surprised if 3 are 35MM prints.

As things stand now (always subject to change, of course), we will be running TWO -- count 'em, TWO -- prints out of thirteen titles.  They are Rocketeer & Hitchhiker's Guide.

And the change has come.  Now I'm being told that Rocketeer, after being listed for weeks as being 35mm, is a DCP.  I'm also being informed that Galaxy Quest will be 35mm.
     So, still only two prints.   Cry
     Enjoy watching about twenty hours of television, kids!   Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4