WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
SF/42 Announced Films reaction thread, Official (Read 39680 times)
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 3:10pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Some quick reactions.
The Rocketeer- great, look forward to seeing it on a big screen again.
The Creature From The Black Lagoon-classic, long overdue for the marathon, will it be a 3D version though?
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy-pretty funny plus a nice tribute to Alan Rickman, plus yeah, 42.
John Dies At The End-pretty crazy with just about any kind of effect you can think of.
Kingdom Of The Spiders- schlocky as hell, look for a lot of Shatner toupee jokes, was probably a lot scarier before tarantulas were in every pet shop.
SSSSSSS- weird, 7 s's is the official spelling I guess.
This Giant Papier Mache Boulder Is Actually Really Heavy- looks okay in the trailer.
Midnight Special- interesting trailer
Neither Heaven Nor Earth- ???

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 3:14pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My quick takes:

The Rocketeer - 35mm print of an ok title, but havent seen it since it came out
Creature from the Black Lagoon - Hopefully in 3D. Been requested for DECADES
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - It's ok, but, I prefer the TV series and radio versions
John Dies at the End - Haven't seen any of the director's work in decades; interested
Kingdom of Spiders - good late nite schlock
SSSSSSSS - ditto; although a bit better as a movie as I recall
This Giant Paper Mache Boulder is Actually Really Heavy - "Festival Award Winner". And, a "spoof" --
rut ro rorge!!

Midnight Special - the most disappointing SciFi film of 2016. Dinner break.
Neither Heaven Nor Earth - One of those tiny foreign films I kinda of wanted to see. Not sure how this arthouse flick will do with the 'thon crowd. The movie made $12,000 total at the box office. That's right - THOUSAND.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2017 at 11:31pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 4:07pm

albatross   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

If the movie cost less that 12k to make... profit is profit!

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 9:52am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

My quick takes:

The Rocketeer - OK. Lose the movie, read the comic.
Creature from the Black Lagoon - Excellent and long overdue.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Love the book and show, the movie, not so much.
John Dies at the End - The first two Phantasms were fun. Bubba-Ho_Tep is ok but we are starting to bloat with so-so movies.
Kingdom of Spiders - good late nite schlock
SSSSSSSS - same but I fear that the schlock is not over we may have one more.
This Giant Paper Mache Boulder is Actually Really Heavy - "Festival Award Winner". Gawdawful trailer. No budget, very derivative. Hopefully, not Motivational Growth bad.
Midnight Special - looking forward to this one. Don't know much about it.
Neither Heaven Nor Earth - sounds intriguing. Looking forward to this but I might have played this at the Fest and save space for a more established title. Lord knows, we could use it.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 1:49pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

The Rocketeer - Looking forward to seeing this again.
Creature from the Black Lagoon - Same as above.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Should play well with the crowd.
John Dies at the End - My brother recommended this, glad to get a chance to see it.
Kingdom of Spiders - Sounds fun.
SSSSSSSS - Ditto.
This Giant Paper Mache Boulder is Actually Really Heavy - "Festival Award Winner". Don't have high hopes for this one.
Midnight Special - Saw it last week, thought it was pretty good.
Neither Heaven Nor Earth - Always good to see something unusual.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 9:33pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

The Rocketeer - Been a while for this one with me, although it involves bunch of people/things I love (reminder: Timothy Dalton has an uncanny ability to make everything he's in better).

Creature from the Black Lagoon - Really, never at the marathon before?  Must be a common pick everywhere else around Boston; wonder if we'll get the same anaglyph 3D print Universal usually sends.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - (and if we do, keep the glasses around; the folks who made this one made the "malfunctioning hologram" in this one a red-blue 3D image)

John Dies at the End - A ton of fun, although I'm told it only adapts half the book.

Kingdom of Spiders - Sure, bring on some Shatner.

SSSSSSSS - Hmm, that's a lot of 70s creature crud (potentially)

This Giant Paper Mache Boulder is Actually Really Heavy - The folks who saw it seemed to really like it, but then, the folks who make it to the 5pm weekday shows at the festival are really, really forgiving.  I had no problem missing it.

Midnight Special - science fictionally, only halfway there, but Jeff Nichols is really good at everything else, and Michael Shannon is great.

Neither Heaven Nor Earth - Barely heard of this, but they have been making some great, unnerving horror in France lately.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 10:33pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

A friend has suggested Five Million Years to Earth, last seen at SF9, and The Monolith Monsters, last seen at SF4.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 12:16pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dinsdale wrote on Jan 21st, 2017 at 10:33pm:
A friend has suggested Five Million Years to Earth, last seen at SF9, and The Monolith Monsters, last seen at SF4.

FIVE MILLION (aka QUATERMASS & THE PIT) has been discussed. For some reason however, it has fallen out of favor with distributors. It used to make the rounds regularly.

MONOLITH MONSTERS? Eh, it's a marginal title, although Universal may still have some moldy old prints.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 7:17pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Agree that Monolith Monsters is less than a necessary choice. Formulaic 50s Creature Feature, but better than many. As far as prints, Columbus showed it in 2013. You could always ask them about access.
Always have a soft spot for all Quatermass as I saw them when I was quite young on the BBC. Haven't revisited this in (50?) years.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 9:27pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

pogo wrote on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 7:17pm:
Agree that Monolith Monsters is less than a necessary choice. Formulaic 50s Creature Feature, but better than many. As far as prints, Columbus showed it in 2013. You could always ask them about access.
Always have a soft spot for all Quatermass as I saw them when I was quite young on the BBC. Haven't revisited this in (50?) years.

Was that the Quatermass TV serial or the film version?
Since likely may only have video copies available it might be worth showing the British versions which I think were released in Canada.
I saw DVD release of Quatermass & The Pit and it was a better quality copy and had some scenes not in the US release.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:22pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

Rest of the line up has been announced. Unfortunately I'm not impressed. Too many recent movies.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 1:42pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Dinsdale wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:22pm:
Rest of the line up has been announced. Unfortunately I'm not impressed. Too many recent movies.

I think it's a pretty varied lineup. We also have to keep in mind that we are trying to appeal to a younger demo now. Maybe, to you or me, something like GALAXY QUEST or GATTACA is too "recent", but, to somebody less advanced in age, GALAXY QUEST is a long time ago. 17 years is the same gap as between TIME MACHINE and STAR WARS! Even HITCHHIKER is 10 years old - the same space as between BLADE RUNNER and SILENT RUNNING!

Would I personally liked to have seen something from the 70s? Yes, but, it's not about one person or even one demographic.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 4:37pm

Dinsdale   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 1:42pm:
Dinsdale wrote on Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:22pm:

I think it's a pretty varied lineup. We also have to keep in mind that we are trying to appeal to a younger demo now. Maybe, to you or me, something like GALAXY QUEST or GATTACA is too "recent", but, to somebody less advanced in age, GALAXY QUEST is a long time ago. 17 years is the same gap as between TIME MACHINE and STAR WARS! Even HITCHHIKER is 10 years old - the same space as between BLADE RUNNER and SILENT RUNNING!

Would I personally liked to have seen something from the 70s? Yes, but, it's not about one person or even one demographic.

It will still be a great event. Hopefully next year will have more of what veteran Marathoids(SF4 was my first) are looking for.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 9:10pm

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

(Tears up his list of songs planned....)
Right!  Starting over!
(No worries, lotsa songs here, lotsa music, can totally rework this...)

...dan
Doing my best Guy Smiley impersonation.

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 12:34am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

anu3bis wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 9:10pm:
(Tears up his list of songs planned....)
Right!  Starting over!
(No worries, lotsa songs here, lotsa music, can totally rework this...)

...dan
Doing my best Guy Smiley impersonation.

Well a couple right off come to mind.
Creature From The Black Lagoon by Dave Edmunds for film of the same name.
Heroes by David Bowie for Galaxy Quest
Baby You Can Drive My Car by The Beatles for Mad Max.
I'm The Urban Spaceman by Bonzo Dog Band for Gattaca

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4