WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

NEON DEMON - Next marathon's DEMONLOVER? (Read 1677 times)
Jun 30th, 2016 at 1:39pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

As someone who really dug DRIVE and is an arthouse kind of guy, I looked forward to NEON DEMON. Unfortunately, it's as bad as some of its poor reviews - if not worse. Trust me, DEMONLOVER is a rollicking good time compared to NEON DEMON. (what is it with Euro filmmakers and Demons?  Wink)

First the good stuff. It looks and sounds terrific. Fine photography, art direction, costuming and music. Style to bun.

Unfortunately, the pacing, story construction and stilted acting (much of it the fault of Refn, not necessarily the actors) are stultifying. You'd swear that if the actors spoke and moved like normal human beings, at least 20 of the 118 minutes would be cut from the running time without any further editing.

"Are you ok?" an actress will ask. (pause) (pause) "Yes..." (pause) (pause) "...I" (pause) "...am" will be the reply about one minute later by another actress. Then the two actresses will file out of the room taking another couple of minutes to do so.

I have sat through some of the longest and deliberately paced movies of all time. I have no problem with that if it serves a purpose. Here, the theme of Modeling and Beauty being compared to vampirisim and exploitation is hardly something momentous. I got it. And, just because Refn takes the symbolism to extremes that will offend many (not me), isn't sufficiently satisfaction or compensation to justify the affected filmmaking.

In DRIVE, Refn's aesthetic worked because it fit into the idea of a mercenary driver as a sort of modern samurai. NEON DEMON came to Refn as a vague idea as he woke up one morning and observed the beauty of his wife as she slept in bed (the movie is dedicated to her). It's a sweet romantic thought, but, without a far far better screenplay than he (and two female collaborators) came up with here - it is a notion that should have stayed private.

[img]As someone who really dug DRIVE and is an arthouse kind of guy, I looked forward to NEON DEMON. Unfortunately, it's as bad as some of its poor reviews - if not worse.
First the good stuff. It looks and sounds terrific. Fine photography, art direction, costuming and music. Style to bun.
Unfortunately, the pacing, story construction and stilted acting (much of it the fault of Refn, not necessarily the actors) are stultifying. You'd swear that if the actors spoke and moved like normal human beings, at least 20 of the 118 minutes would be cut from the running time without any further editing.

"Are you ok?" an actress will ask. (pause) (pause) "Yes..." (pause) (pause) "...I" (pause) "...am" will be the reply about one minute later by another actress. Then the two actresses will file out of the room taking another couple of minutes to do so.

As I wrote, I am an arthouse guy. I have sat through some of the longest and deliberately paced movies of all time. I have no problem with that if it serves a purpose. Here, the theme of Modeling and Beauty being compared to vampirisim and exploitation is hardly something momentous. I got it. And, just because Refn takes the symbolism to extremes that will offend many (not me), isn't sufficiently satisfaction or compensation to justify the affected filmmaking.

In DRIVE, Refn's aesthetic worked because it fit into the idea of a mercenary driver as a sort of modern samurai. NEON DEMON came to Refn as a vague idea as he woke up one morning and observed the beauty of his wife as she slept in bed (the movie is dedicated to her). It's a sweet romantic thought, but, without a far far better screenplay than he (and two female collaborators) came up with here - it is a notion that should have stayed private.

IP Logged