WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT (Read 8321 times)
Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:50pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

My review

Didn't get time to see and write this documentary about the last generation of full-time projectionists up until it only had a day left at the Coolidge, but worth a look if this is something you like, and it does feature Mr. Kornfeld in a prominent part.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 2:50pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

We'll see if this doc makes its way to the West Coast. Seems like a very Boston-centric movie.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 11:11pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

I do hope it plays the west coast, it sounds like an interesting documentary.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 10:03pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

For those interested here's the trailer for the film.

https://vimeo.com/150986872

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 11:51am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Here's a photo essay that might be called the British edition of DYING OF THE LIGHT. My favorite shot  is of the theater lit up by just the light of the projector (try that with the puny output of most digital projectors!):

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2016/apr/19/keeping-it-reel-the-...

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 4:26pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

It is fairly skewed toward the Northeast, but not just Boston, and there's a fair amount in the midwest, along with some in other places (even L.A., at the end).

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 9:18pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Just saw the above named  film on the death of celluloid projection of film.
Talked with the director, Peter Flynn,  who was there for the showing at the Cleveland Cinematheque.
As noted above, the technical adviser, and the largest presence on the screen was our very own David (the Projectionist) Kornfeld.
It is an excellent doc. as it does not rely on talking heads, but shows the mechanisms, theaters and people who were the reality of film projection.
History and science, any person interested in film who missed the Coolidge showing should watch for any special screening, or streaming release of this documentary.
Note. I asked the director about the fact that although the relative quality of the actual screen image was far superior on film, this was barely touched on. He commented that he did have lots of tape on that ( I said that David was the technical adviser) but his film (paraphrase) was about history and the passing of an era. He did recommend another title on that subject.
At the local showing a panel of projectionists, several with 30 years experience, reacted and commented. One thing mentioned was that the intensity of xenon lamps and 70mm projection were still necessary for IMAX presentations - but that within the year the local IMAX was going over to digital - with laser powered projection. One of the last holdouts gone.
David. Are you aware of any plans to stream or distribute the film?

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 3:37pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

DYING OF THE LIGHT (2016). On DVD and Streaming on Hoopla. An interesting documentary on the end of celluloid film projection. Peter Flynn's doc is mainly centered in the New England area where he lives. Some old haunts that still show film are presented including the Brattle, the Coolidge Corner and our 'thon home Somerville Theatre. Indeed,  David Kornfeld is the de facto main interviewee here, providing much of the historical and practical knowledge which he is still able to ply. The one main critique I would have is that it starts with a procession of old movie theaters crumbling and decaying - you feel like you are going to a funeral! As appropriate as that may be to the title, some of these places were closed or closing BEFORE the advent of digital projection, so there's a theme disconnect. Still, for 35mm film lovers, this is an interesting survey of what is too rapidly becoming a dying art.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2017 at 10:32am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 30th, 2017 at 3:37pm:
Still, for 35mm film lovers, this is an interesting survey of what is too rapidly becoming a dying art.

It's a craft.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged