WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Suggestions for SF42 (Read 33694 times)
Reply #30 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 2:56pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

Alternate idea:  The festival runs for a week leading up to the Marathon, and the Somerville generally schedules their silent program for the first or second Sunday of the month.  Why not have Woman in the Moon as a co-presentation of the theater and festival on the 12th?  The only hitch, I suppose, might be the availability of the restoration in 35mm, and I don't think Jeff, Ian & David have had to program anything in the "Silents, Please" material on digital yet.  Given that the restored Metropolis never seems to have played the US on film, I'm a bit pessimistic there's a print of this.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 6:06pm

Jeff Rapsis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

Thanks for the alternate suggestion! It's not a bad one and if length of WOMAN IN THE MOON remains a concern, this might be one way to do it.

But I still think it would work best with the 24-hour 'Thon crowd as part of the marathon. And I would strongly recommend against running any truncated version. I played for a 16mm print of an abridged version in Toronto last year and it's just not the same film.

The only 35mm print available of the completely restored version lives in Germany and has only German titles. The Harvard Film Archive actually went to the trouble to get this print when it ran its Lang retrospective in 2014, and they had to go to the trouble of translating all the intertitles into English and using a second projector to put them onscreen as subtitles to the German titles, with someone following the film and knowing when to show the titles. In other words, a lot of work—and a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong! (But the HFA screening went off without a hitch.)

And yes, the film looked GREAT in 35mm (this was the screening that David K. attended, and I accompanied) and I think it would be an interesting 'Thon novelty to see it with projected English translated titles. Am I nuts? Wait, don't answer that.

Anyway, hope WOMAN IN THE MOON can somehow find its way to be part of the Sci-Fi 'Thon. The event seems made to celebrate films such as this, and I truly don't believe length would be that much of an issue. Some may end up not liking it, but I feel it will blow the minds of a fair number of people who never saw a silent film such as this.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 11:23am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Yes, I think Jay's idea probably functions best. Have WOMAN IN THE MOON play the festival during its week. Three hours is the hang-up here. Like I noted earlier, WOMAN was very much on the consideration list -- until the long running time was noted.

Running time (167 mins) is also one of the reasons that Tarkovsky's SOLARIS - the film I consider the best sci-fi film that has never shown the 'thon - has never made the cut in the event's 41 year history.

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 11:37pm

crocodile   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

ok, my want list for sf42:
Space is the Place
Green Slime (great theme song!!!!!!!!!!)
Forbidden Planet (yes, i know this already showed 5 times)
Day The Earth Stood Still (this showed 6 times already so what)
Brother From Another Planet
Fury Road!!! or Beyond Thunderdome

also, at sf32 we watched Frankenstein vs the Space Monster, and it was a surprisingly nice print and it made the experience of watching this goofy movie really touching somehow! it gave it almost an arthouse feeling... i don't want to see this again, but i would love to see a nice print of an old movie you don't usually get to see a nice print of! i come to the thon to have fun and watch movies, but part of it is definitely getting dazzled by the beautiful theatre and the (sometimes) beautiful films- David your hard work is appreciated big time!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 11:59pm

UncleTim   Offline
SF Rocks

A few suggestions:

Midnight Special (definitely deserved more attention this year)
Space Camp
The Zero Theorem
Enemy Mine
Series 7: The Contenders
10 Cloverfield Lane
Shin Godzilla (I know the odds are slim on that one)
Predestination
The Colossus of New York (if only for schlock value)

...and I absolutely second The Green Slime.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 8:51am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

F VS SPACE MONSTER was nice. It was a private print. We are always on the look out for more. But, it's getting tougher and tougher to do 35mm film.

GREEN SLIME has been discussed, as has MAD MAX.

crocodile wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 11:37pm:
ok, my want list for sf42:
Space is the Place
Green Slime (great theme song!!!!!!!!!!)
Forbidden Planet (yes, i know this already showed 5 times)
Day The Earth Stood Still (this showed 6 times already so what)
Brother From Another Planet
Fury Road!!! or Beyond Thunderdome

also, at sf32 we watched Frankenstein vs the Space Monster, and it was a surprisingly nice print and it made the experience of watching this goofy movie really touching somehow! it gave it almost an arthouse feeling... i don't want to see this again, but i would love to see a nice print of an old movie you don't usually get to see a nice print of! i come to the thon to have fun and watch movies, but part of it is definitely getting dazzled by the beautiful theatre and the (sometimes) beautiful films- David your hard work is appreciated big time!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 1:51pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

the passing of zsa zsa gabor makes it a gild edged priority that "the queen of outerspace" is featured in the marathon.
https://youtu.be/awWQo9gYayQ

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 11:10pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
the passing of zsa zsa gabor makes it a gild edged priority that "the queen of outerspace" is featured in the marathon.
https://youtu.be/awWQo9gYayQ

Wouldn't be the worst idea, but, finding a 35mm Cinemascope print would be diffiicult in this day and age. And, I don't want to see a DVD projection job of a Scope film.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 6:33pm

anu3bis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Attending (2003) & the
Music Meister (2016-)
Somerville, MA

If you please, and if it's possible, I would very much like to see Star Wars: A New Hope with the good folks of the 'thon this year.

attending since 2003 SF28,
Music Meister since 2016.
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 11:36am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

anu3bis wrote on Dec 27th, 2016 at 6:33pm:
If you please, and if it's possible, I would very much like to see Star Wars: A New Hope with the good folks of the 'thon this year.

ROGUE ONE for SF 142!

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 2:33pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I can recommend some seldom seen titles from the 50's all of which I have actually seen*

"IT: The Terror from Beyond Space" (It is strikingly similar to Ridley Scott's "Alien")
"Tobor the Great"
"Rocket Ship XM" (not seen since SF3)
"World Without End" (SF 2!)

From the 60's
"Day of the Triffids"  (SF 3)
"Gorgo"
"Quatermass and the Pit"

Also one of the best overlooked films of the 90's:
"Gattaca" (Not seen since SF 23)

It's quiet...it's TOO quiet - John Wayne in "The Lucky Texan"

*Many people recommend films they have only heard of but sound like good fits based on their story, director or cast. (Remember "The Terminal Man"?) Shocked

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 12:24pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I've seen a few folks pointing out elsewhere that The Running Man takes place in 2017, and since I think "science fiction from a generation ago imagining the current year" should be a regular part of the 'thon, I'd suggest that until someone comes up with a better idea.

Note:  Though I doubt they'd come through the same distributor, make absolutely sure not to get the 2015 Chinese film Running Man, which is a feature-length episode of a celebrity game show and is boring even when it's not incomprehensible.

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 1:30pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

With 9 movies booked, looks like we only have Two or Three slots open.

What should they be? Even generically as far as type, vintage etc.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:36am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

R_F_Fineman wrote on Dec 31st, 2016 at 2:33pm:
I can recommend some seldom seen titles from the 50's all of which I have actually seen*

"IT: The Terror from Beyond Space" (It is strikingly similar to Ridley Scott's "Alien")
"Tobor the Great"
"Rocket Ship XM" (not seen since SF3)
"World Without End" (SF 2!)

From the 60's
"Day of the Triffids"  (SF 3)
"Gorgo"
"Quatermass and the Pit"

Also one of the best overlooked films of the 90's:
"Gattaca" (Not seen since SF 23)

It's quiet...it's TOO quiet - John Wayne in "The Lucky Texan"

*Many people recommend films they have only heard of but sound like good fits based on their story, director or cast. (Remember "The Terminal Man"?) Shocked

Tobor The Great is worth a look. It's a pretty good boy and his robot story and the robot itself was designed & built by the same man who would go on to make Robbie for Forbidden Planet and the Lost In Space Robot.
Gorgo too is a pretty good monster film.
Since we're likely running them on video maybe we could get the British versions of The Quatermass films. I saw the third one on a DVD and it plays different and has some scenes not in the American version.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3