WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Suggestions for SF42 (Read 33693 times)
Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:52am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 11:08am:
da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 3:12pm:
One of the things I liked about this years marathon was ending on a classic (Invasion of The Body Snatchers) rather than a recent film like was done in the past. Gives a better excuse to stay to the end to see a classic on the big screen rather than giving in to the urge to skip a film you just sa0
That being said, we still have never shown the last Universal classic monster The Creature From The Black Lagoon, even though we HAVE shown the 2nd and 3rd films from the series.

SNATCHERS seemed like the obvious choice when the final lineup was announced. I'm glad you enjoyed the pick, but, I have heard some mutterings about it. There are those, I suppose, who have only gone to the Marathon for a few years, and have kinda gotten used to ending with a new movie or a former blockbuster. Since we didn't have any Festival films this year, that wasn't an option. EX MACHINA could have fit the bill, but, you wouldn't really call it a blockbuster. BLADE RUNNER? Maybe.

P.S. REVENGE OF THE CREATURE has never played the Marathon. Only THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US has been part of a Marathon from that series.

I too enjoyed seeing Invasion of the Body Snatchers as the wrap up movie. A couple of people in my group grumbled, but in their case they're not fans of 50s sci fi movies.+

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:50pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

My complaint wasn't that it was old, but that it covers a lot of the same basic ground as They Live in less interesting fashion.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:17pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:50pm:
My complaint wasn't that it was old, but that it covers a lot of the same basic ground as They Live in less interesting fashion.

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS 1956, a movie that has thousands of articles and even book length examinations of its socio-political implications is less "interesting" than the semi-forgotten by the general public, THEY LIVE? A movie that is mostly remembered for the 10 minute fight scene.

Ok............

And, as noted earlier, THEY LIVE and SNATCHERS were originally scheduled to be further apart, but, got joined because of some last-minute changes. I thought they provided a nice 1-2 punch at the end.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:47am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #18 - May 5th, 2016 at 11:57am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Jay Seaver wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:50pm:

To me it really showed a sens of humor by the organizers.
I mean showing a film where the most dangerous thing is to fall asleep to a crowd that's been awake (sort of) for 24 hours plus?
GENIUS!

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #19 - May 8th, 2016 at 5:14pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

GREEN SLIME anyone? I hear tell it's available. Never shown at a 'thon to boot.

Of course, we'd have to make an exception by showing the first X-Rated movie ever at the Marathon!  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #20 - May 29th, 2016 at 11:06am

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Woman In The Moon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_in_the_Moon
"Fritz Lang’s final silent film tried to recapture the magic and spectacle of his 1927 sci-fi masterpiece Metropolis. It chronicles an intrigue-laden expedition to the moon to look for lunar gold. The film’s rocket science proved so revealing that the movie was suppressed by the Nazis from 1933 to 1945."

The above is a Cleveland Museum of Art Film Series blurb. Notable is that the film was made after the classic Metropolis - that everyone has seen - by the same director.
The CMA announcement says that it will be shown from a "New 2K digital restoration!" (Yes David, I know)
Probably a Blue Ray.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #21 - May 30th, 2016 at 12:01pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

WOMAN IN THE MOON has been considered, including the new restoration. The biggest issue we have is running time - 169 minutes! Nearly 3 hours. I saw it once in the 80s with a live theremin player and it was grand. But, 3 hours at a 'thon is tough. Plus, Jeff Rapsis' arms might fall off!

Smiley

pogo wrote on May 29th, 2016 at 11:06am:
Woman In The Moon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_in_the_Moon
"Fritz Lang’s final silent film tried to recapture the magic and spectacle of his 1927 sci-fi masterpiece Metropolis. It chronicles an intrigue-laden expedition to the moon to look for lunar gold. The film’s rocket science proved so revealing that the movie was suppressed by the Nazis from 1933 to 1945."

The above is a Cleveland Museum of Art Film Series blurb. Notable is that the film was made after the classic Metropolis - that everyone has seen - by the same director.
The CMA announcement says that it will be shown from a "New 2K digital restoration!" (Yes David, I know)
Probably a Blue Ray.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - May 30th, 2016 at 2:37pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on May 30th, 2016 at 12:01pm:
WOMAN IN THE MOON has been considered, including the new restoration. The biggest issue we have is running time - 169 minutes! Nearly 3 hours. I saw it once in the 80s with a live theremin player and it was grand. But, 3 hours at a 'thon is tough. Plus, Jeff Rapsis' arms might fall off!

Ive seen the movie, and, in fact, I saw it while Jeff was playing with it, and his arms did not fall off.  He loves the movie, but I think it's dated & awful.  We can skip this one, not that anyone will listen.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #23 - May 30th, 2016 at 2:47pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 3:12pm:
One of the things I liked about this years marathon was ending on a classic (Invasion of The Body Snatchers) rather than a recent film like was done in the past.

I actually left early, while this was on, because the digital transfer was so stunningly miserable that I couldnt believe anyone would sit through it without complaining.  But I was wrong.  Again.

Seriously, theres no problem with this?  That picture looked like a crummy VHS tape: washed out, low contrast, no whites, no blacks, hideous in every way, & that was completely on par with the rest of the DCPs we ran, but nobody, it seems, had any complaints.

There were prints available for a lot of the titles we ran digitally.  Those DCPs translate into a huge savings on shipping & other costs, but I didnt see the ticket price reflecting that.  Just sayin'.

Once upon a time, people actually cared about quality.  I guess I'm too old-fashioned, & my time has passed.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #24 - May 31st, 2016 at 3:43pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Thank you David and LA for comments on Women based on actual experience.
I've fought my way through Metropolis. twice and am musty & antiquarian enough that even a severely dated (as I am sure David accurately states) film would be interesting. The CleveMuseum version is described as having a  "Recorded piano score by Javier Pérez de Azpeitia" so a skilled accompanist while hugely enhancing would not be absolutely necessary.
I do agree that a 169 min. movie it would be a damper on the energy level - and exclude too many other choice options.
Anyone visits Cleveland, I'll put them up & take them to the CMA show on either 6/26 or 6/29.
Don't worry. That's three weeks before the Republicans get here.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #25 - May 31st, 2016 at 7:10pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Like I wrote, WOMAN IN THE MOON was very high ont he consideration list until the running time torpedoed it. If any Cleveland area folks haven't seen Lang's SPIES on the big screen - GO!

pogo wrote on May 31st, 2016 at 3:43pm:
Thank you David and LA for comments on Women based on actual experience.
I've fought my way through Metropolis. twice and am musty & antiquarian enough that even a severely dated (as I am sure David accurately states) film would be interesting. The CleveMuseum version is described as having a  "Recorded piano score by Javier Pérez de Azpeitia" so a skilled accompanist while hugely enhancing would not be absolutely necessary.
I do agree that a 169 min. movie it would be a damper on the energy level - and exclude too many other choice options.
Anyone visits Cleveland, I'll put them up & take them to the CMA show on either 6/26 or 6/29.
Don't worry. That's three weeks before the Republicans get here.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 1:09am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Is there any possibility that Woman on the Moon. Will be considered for SF 42?

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:12pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Couldn't make the Museum of Art showing of Women so I looked it up on my broadcast services, and watched most of it. It would have been interesting for me to see in a crowd of marathon viewers - barely -  but overall is, as David stated, extremely dated in both plot and presentation. At home I kept drifting off. 
Three hours worth in the middle of the night would be fun with an accompaniest for some, but deadly for the large majority. I retract my suggestion.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 1:35pm

Jeff Rapsis   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks

This is from Jeff Rapsis, the silent film accompanist who's been helping out with the Marathon in recent years. As David K. pointed out earlier in this thread, I'm a big advocate of WOMAN IN THE MOON. I've accompanied it at many screenings, and for very different audiences, and it ALWAYS kills in live performance. And I would LOVE a chance to do music for it at a future Marathon.

A couple of points in favor of WOMAN IN THE MOON:

- As with all silent films, it was designed to be seen by an audience, not in solitude. Lang knew how to structure this kind of film to keep an audience glued to the screen, and it still works, especially with the right kind of music. Keep that in mind if you've only seen it on home video or, worse, on a computer screen.

- Of course the film is "dated," but that's a big part of its interest, I think. To me, it's utterly amazing what Lang put on the screen in 1929: a rocket launch to the moon using the same basic ideas that would underpin the successful Apollo program 40 years later. (Most of these concepts originated with scientists in pre-Hitler Germany, and after World War II were resurrected by von Braun and his colleagues for NASA.) The fact that the characters wear mountaineering gear instead of space suits is all part of the mind-blowing fun, I think. Same thing with how they got so much else dead wrong as well: seen in retrospect it has huge entertainment value to a certain kind of mindset, which I think is the one that prevails at the annual Marathon.

- Yes, the fully restored version is just under 3 hours. But in a theater with the right kind of music and with an audience, I've found WOMAN IN THE MOON roars right by. People (even non-sci-fi fans) are stunned by this movie. Again, Lang knew how to build a structure that supports this kind of length. He weaves tech geek with melodrama with industrial conspiracy in a way that I find still holds the screen very well. (Remember, METROPOLIS is the same length.)

- In general, this is a mind-blowing picture with creative photography, compelling characters (the "villain" looks like Hitler, whom Lang despised), pioneering vintage special effects, and so much to look at and wonder about even before the moon launch, which occurs just after the half-way point. From then on, there's no turning back, either for the characters or the audience. Heck, it's the film that originated the idea of a "countdown" to launch, which later was adopted in launching real rockets. That fact alone makes the film worthy of consideration.

If WOMAN IN THE MOON isn't suitable for an event such as the annual Sci-Fi marathon, then I'm not sure what is. So if not right away, then I hope it can be considered for some future year. Maybe in 2019 for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing?

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 11:07am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

What Jeff said!

Most importantly, thank you Jeff for being one of the Marathon's MVP's!

But, sadly, 'tis the length that is the biggest hold-up with showing WOMAN. I hate to show edited films, but, a well-done 2 hour version would be ideal.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3