WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Suggestions for SF42 (Read 33678 times)
Feb 15th, 2016 at 8:24pm

Neil_N   Offline
YaBB Newbies
SF Rocks
Boston

Just wanted to get the ball rolling. Since next year's Marathon will be SF42, how about getting The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 9:03pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Neil_N wrote on Feb 15th, 2016 at 8:24pm:
Just wanted to get the ball rolling. Since next year's Marathon will be SF42, how about getting The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Garen mentioned that this WILL be on the SF42 marathon.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:47am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Hitchhiker's isn't great - but, it's fun.

Any GENERAL ideas on a direction for SF/42 from anyone?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 6:33pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

As usual, I really wish Garen and company would make more than baby steps toward the festival portion being decent.  I honestly can't tell whether his apparent enthusiasm for the material is hucksterism or delusion, and the projection was unacceptable.

As to the marathon, more film would be really nice, and there was some really odd clustering going on this year:  Two silent [era] movies, two by John Carpenter, and I felt okay at bailing on the last movie in part because Invasion of the Body Snatchers is in the same neighborhood as They Live in a lot of ways.  It's probably an aberration, although a lady I know online pointed out how frustrating it was that the marathon would have two movies directed by one specific guy but none directed by a woman.

I also really wouldn't mind a little less emphasis on the goofy traditions and callbacks.  First time seeing Starman was kind of marred by people yelling "Mark!", and while High Treason is full of problems, I found myself kind of saddened that people would jump straight to mockery.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 9:32pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 6:33pm:
As usual, I really wish Garen and company would make more than baby steps toward the festival portion being decent.

I wouldnt hold my breath!

Quote:
I honestly can't tell whether his apparent enthusiasm for the material is hucksterism or delusion,

Well, I can tell!

Quote:
and the projection was unacceptable.

Really?  Cant imagine why!

Quote:
As to the marathon, more film would be really nice,

Ya think?!?!?!?!?

Quote:
It's probably an aberration, although a lady I know online pointed out how frustrating it was that the marathon would have two movies directed by one specific guy but none directed by a woman.

Sorry, thats rubbish, & theres no bottom to that pit.  There were also no movies directed by an Asian, or a black, or a lesbian, or a trans, or a half-Puerto Rican Sumo wrestler.  At what point do you stop?  Sure, it would be nice; no, it shouldnt be mandatory.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 10:26pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

I'm not arguing for quotas (off the top of my head, only Tank Girl and Strange Days are leaping to mind anyway), and I don't think she was either, rather than noting this was a pretty homogeneous slate (especially at the time the comment was made), and while that doesn't happen deliberately, it sometimes indicates folks having a bit of a blind spot or two.

Garen's enthusiasm for the festival films is really weird, though, like "these things will be on Netflix!" is some sort of indication of their quality.  It often seems like he and some of the attendees don't realize that there's some pretty impressive stuff out there and "World Premiere!" at this festival means "not good enough to play Other Worlds/Ithaca/Philip K. Dick/etc.!"

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 1:26pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Jay Seaver wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 6:33pm:
...As to the marathon, more film would be really nice, and there was some really odd clustering going on this year:  Two silent [era] movies, two by John Carpenter, and I felt okay at bailing on the last movie in part because Invasion of the Body Snatchers is in the same neighborhood as They Live in a lot of ways. 

Some of that was because of technical considerations like Jeff Rapsis' schedule (he had another full gig that night!). THEY LIVE originally was slated for earlier in the schedule, but got bumped later at the 11th hour.

But, yeah FOUR John Carpenter movies in the last few years (following a similar 'clustering' of Cronenberg flicks) seems a bit too narrow.

Note: I did make a pitch for THEY LIVE, not only because of Roddy's passing, but, because it had never been at a 'thon before, and, as it was proven, would be a good crowd pleaser. I assume STARMAN was because it was in 70mm.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 6:02pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I know that it's pissing into the wind, but change the date.
If the driving were dependable I'd come - and probably bring a few Columbus fans also.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 9:20pm

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Mar 25th, 2016 at 6:02pm:
If the driving were dependable I'd come - and probably bring a few Columbus fans also.

That's been suggested several times, but the powers that be are resistant so far. I would've thought last year would have done the job. A number of people have suggested April, a month not known for huge blizzards or nasty temperatures.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:40am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Lile wrote on Mar 25th, 2016 at 9:20pm:

That's been suggested several times, but the powers that be are resistant so far...

POWER that be...........  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:26pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I just wish Columbus would change THEIR date! Worse, they keep making it closer and closer to Boston's! I guess that's why no Ohioans made it this year - there was only a couple of weeks in between.  Sad

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 3:12pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

One of the things I liked about this years marathon was ending on a classic (Invasion of The Body Snatchers) rather than a recent film like was done in the past. Gives a better excuse to stay to the end to see a classic on the big screen rather than giving in to the urge to skip a film you just saw.

That being said, we still have never shown the last Universal classic monster The Creature From The Black Lagoon, even though we HAVE shown the 2nd and 3rd films from the series.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 7:13pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:26pm:

I just wish Columbus would change THEIR date! Worse, they keep making it closer and closer to Boston's! I guess that's why no Ohioans made it this year - there was only a couple of weeks in between.  Sad

Well THAT'S a crock. Columbus has been all over the place, with their only Marathon remotely close to Boston being last year.
Those of us who still have to trek several hours to get to Columbus wish that there was a little predictibility to their date.  Sure it would be nice to schedule it on the other end of the calendar from Boston and Cleveland - but it isn't the proximity of date that keeps us away.
I had actually planned to come to Boston this year, but part of the fun is to visit with my granddaughter & family in the city.
And they visited us in Cleveland instead.
I would have flown. No way I could drive with others hazarding the weather
No Marathon can schedule based on distant attendees. But the insecurity of the weather can keep even relatively adjacent  fans away.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 9:58pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Sorry, Pogo. Didn't mean it that way.

I just wish there would be more of a time gap between the two 'thons. Always have.

And, this year was so closely bunched that you might as well have them the same weekend. But, I wouldn't mind if Boston were the one to move.

pogo wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 7:13pm:
L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 2:26pm:

Well THAT'S a crock. Columbus has been all over the place, with their only Marathon remotely close to Boston being last year.
Those of us who still have to trek several hours to get to Columbus wish that there was a little predictibility to their date.  Sure it would be nice to schedule it on the other end of the calendar from Boston and Cleveland - but it isn't the proximity of date that keeps us away.
I had actually planned to come to Boston this year, but part of the fun is to visit with my granddaughter & family in the city.
And they visited us in Cleveland instead.
I would have flown. No way I could drive with others hazarding the weather
No Marathon can schedule based on distant attendees. But the insecurity of the weather can keep even relatively adjacent  fans away.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 11:08am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 3:12pm:
One of the things I liked about this years marathon was ending on a classic (Invasion of The Body Snatchers) rather than a recent film like was done in the past. Gives a better excuse to stay to the end to see a classic on the big screen rather than giving in to the urge to skip a film you just saw.

That being said, we still have never shown the last Universal classic monster The Creature From The Black Lagoon, even though we HAVE shown the 2nd and 3rd films from the series.

SNATCHERS seemed like the obvious choice when the final lineup was announced. I'm glad you enjoyed the pick, but, I have heard some mutterings about it. There are those, I suppose, who have only gone to the Marathon for a few years, and have kinda gotten used to ending with a new movie or a former blockbuster. Since we didn't have any Festival films this year, that wasn't an option. EX MACHINA could have fit the bill, but, you wouldn't really call it a blockbuster. BLADE RUNNER? Maybe.

P.S. REVENGE OF THE CREATURE has never played the Marathon. Only THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US has been part of a Marathon from that series.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3