WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

The Martian (Read 3846 times)
Oct 10th, 2015 at 11:14pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Go see it.
It's clearly designed to be a crowd pleaser.
It was so warm hearted that I did get a mild sugar shock.
Matt Damon plays the Tom Hanks role.
Stranded spaceman. Four crises.
Mild, actually very convincing humor.
And it speaks very well of science & space exploration.
With the caveat that sh!t happens.
Much beyond that would be too much of a give away.
But the tension is well handled.
Though the crisis at the end was a bit much
If you liked Apollo 13. and Europa Report you'll like this.
Here's an excellent review.http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/whats-missing-from-the-martian

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 2:38pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

THE MARTIAN is a good movie. It's a cross between ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS and APOLLO 13, with dashes of GRAVITY, MAROONED and even, SOLARIS, tossed in. It's well made, well acted and heart-warming. What it isn't, is great (not surprisingly, it's already in the Top 150 movies of ALL time on imdb). And, the songs were cool even if they seem like outtakes from THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY soundtrack.

THE MARTIAN is so well done, that there is little to criticize on the surface. But, the underlying issue here is that there is NO suspense. We just know that a big studio blockbuster isn't going to have one of the most popular lead actors around to be left 'lost in space' (or worse). Further, even the crisis that do occur, seem to be surmountable much too easily. The movie even sets up a perfect conflict point when the crew of the rescue ship has to make a choice on whether to go ahead. Pfft. It's all agreed to in a minute or two. Where's the drama in that? (and, the less said about the risible 'mutiny' the better) And, the big scientific breakthrough that gets teased along for half an hour as if it were the equivalent of Einstein's Theory of Relativity? Really? Using a planet's (or moon's) gravity to accelerate? That's been a concept that's been around since the 1960s!!

Don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed THE MARTIAN and even got a lump in my throat during the final rescue scenes. But, once it's over, there is nothing to chew on. To ponder. To speculate about. That's what truly separates a great sci-fi movie from a good one - BLADE RUNNER, 2001, PLANET OF THE APES etc.. People can rag on Christopher Nolan and INTERSTELLAR all they want for it's (admitted) flaws. But, a year later, and I'm still contemplating the mind-bending astrophysics and time-warp theories inbedded in it.

THE MARTIAN is well worth seeing. Just don't expect it to linger in the mind too long.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 4:22pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I loved the film. Fantastic effects, good acting, a surprising amount of humor.
Only reason I'd not want it as a marathong pic is that the main character's name is Mark and you know how the crowd reacts to that.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 12:36am

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

da_Bunnyman wrote on Oct 15th, 2015 at 4:22pm:
Only reason I'd not want it as a marathong pic is that the main character's name is Mark and you know how the crowd reacts to that.

I've said the same thing about other movies, and that we even have to consider that ticks me off.

Dug the movie a lot.  I understand some of the complaints about it, although it seems odd to be frustrated that a movie about smart people solving problems doesn't have the familiar sorts of manufactured drama.

IP Logged