WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Jurassic World (Read 2444 times)
Jun 15th, 2015 at 9:28pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

It set the record for biggest opening weekend EVER.
But is it any good?
I saw it Sunday and to be honest it's not that great. Really cliched in places and near the end seems to be just throwing out any wild plot point it can think of. Good effects but really mediocre characterization. I enjoyed it better than Avengers/Ultron but not by too much.
SPOILER WARNING (but not really since it's nothing that was not in the trailers and commercials.)
I really cannot get past the plot point that people get bored with living dinosaurs they can see and even interact with. So the cliched big corporation feels the need to create a super predator dino to attract the crowds back, even though the park seems packed. Meanwhile one of the parks employees is training a pack of Velociraptors to hunt and be under his leadership. Wouldn't it have made more sense to use this as the new park attraction rather than take a chance on creating a new dino at huge expense?   

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 3:55pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I guess it was better than I expected. Decent enough for a 3rd sequel, which ain't saying much, I know. So, why is it the greatest thing since sliced bread at the box office??

There were some nice thrills, if no outright chills as in the original. The effects were very good, and you see much of the money on screen. But, again, a 3rd sequel at a cost of $150M?! 

There isn't much story, and what little there is rests on the hoariest of genre cliches - a new technology/scientific discovery turned into possible military use. And, after all the death and destruction in the first three Jurassic Park movies - parents are still sending unattended children to a park full of deadly behemoths? Some people at the Marathon are always laughing at "how dumb" 50s and 60s characters are - yet, the biggest movie since sliced bread has folks charging directly into such a situation - and paying big bucks for the privelige! What's next for the kiddies? Swimming in shark tanks?

All that said, it was a fairly decent little ride. But, a couple of days later, I can't really remember much about it outside of Bryce Dallas Howard running around in high heels and sweating a lot.  Cool

IP Logged