WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (Read 5748 times)
May 18th, 2015 at 5:00pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The Mad Max series has a special resonance for those of us who remember seeing the original MAD MAX at SF/6. At the time of that showing, very few Americans had seen it - let alone at a nice theater like the Welles (it was dumped into Drive-Ins and Grindhouses for a one-week run). It was like a grenade had been dropped into the theater - WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!! A great Marathon moment.

A little over a year later, ROAD WARRIOR was released stateside and the rest of America caught on to Mad Max. I wasn't quite as blown away by ROAD WARRIOR as most people, but then again, my mind had been "pre-blown away" by MAD MAX unlike most viewers. MAD MAX has shown twice more at the Marathon (SF/16,SF/26 – the undubbed Aussie Version) and ROAD WARRIOR once (SF/14). 

MAD MAX FURY ROAD is good. The action is astonishing, and at one point, I just couldn't believe how INSANE what I was seeing was. And, you gotta love a gang that brings along it's own guitar and drums accompaniment! The use of real stunts over CGI was refreshing, but I wish Miller had resisted the temptation to monkey with the editing in post with all the digital ramp zooms and jagged editing, and color saturation.

The plot is so thin it could have been written on a napkin. And, some of the dialogue is frankly embarrasing with Theron's "redemption" line being so drearily spot on, I was hoping it was supposed to be "ironic". Hardy is a fine actor, but, doesn't approach Mel Gibson's charisma in the role. And, Miller has sidelined Max to a virtual supporting role alongside Charlene Theron's ferocious Furiousa character.

With THE ROAD WARRIOR, Miller raised the stakes and brilliantly created a World Gone Wild with sublime action scenes - but, some of the central dramatic core was sacrificied. I like THUNDERDOME, but for it's slower, quieter second half with the lost children. It again restored the balance with drama over action. FURY ROAD is ROAD WARRIOR on steroids - bigger, faster, furiouser ( Wink). This time, there is virtually NO drama. I haven't seen THUNDERDOME since it's original release (30 years!), so I will have to re-visit it sometime. For now, FURY ROAD is a terrific action picture in a fine series - but, also, the least dramatically satisfying.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 19th, 2015 at 10:36pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Loved the film for being real while being insane.
Nice seeing real action with CGI used to enhance a scene rather than being the entire show.
Story was there when needed and also emotion.
Ya gotta like a villain who carries his own soundtrack when he attacks.

I remember Mad Max at the marathon, did not go over that well. But odd thing is, despite our car culture Mad Max was a huge hit everywhere in the world except the US. I think the Italians made a couple of hundred ripoffs of it. In the days of VHS they were a staple of video store's sci fi sections.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2015 at 8:31am

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Maybe it just did not play well in stuffy Cinema 1.  Cinema 2 dug it.  In the U.S. it was more of a drive-in movie coming in at the tail end of the muscle car movie.  The atrocious dubbing of the Australian accents did not help.

Fury Road is everything a throwback drive-in movie needs to be.  Sufficient story and lots of turbo-charged mayhem. The CGI enhances the practical effects, which is nice. If you want your first roller coaster ride for the summer season, this is it.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2015 at 2:57pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2015 at 2:00pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

ed symkus wrote on May 23rd, 2015 at 2:57pm:

Thanks, Ed. I still wish Miller resisted the urge to appeal to the kiddies by using so much CGI in post, but, that's a minor quibble to a highly enjoyable ride of a movie.

Frank wrote on May 20th, 2015 at 8:31am:
Maybe it just did not play well in stuffy Cinema 1.  Cinema 2 dug it.  In the U.S. it was more of a drive-in movie coming in at the tail end of the muscle car movie.  The atrocious dubbing of the Australian accents did not help.   

Nope. MAD MAX played well in Cinema 1 as well. Maybe, it was Cinema 3 that found it missing the mark.  Wink

And, remember, when a print of THE TIME MACHINE failed to turn up at the 'thon a few years later, it was MAD MAX that was voted on by the audience to replace it on the schedule - enthusiastically, I might add.

IP Logged