WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Terry Pratchett 1948-2015 (Read 1962 times)
Mar 23rd, 2015 at 5:36pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I shake my head that nobody has mentioned the death of Terry Pratchett. I am re-posting here what I wrote on the Columbus board.
Pratchett was the modern era's prime fantasy writer. In various languages (mostly English) he sold more than 85 million books. He was the most popular author in Britain until he was bumped by J.K. Rowling.
His works, particularly the Discworld series and a book Good Omens that he co-authored with Neil Gaiman, were gems of humor, social commentary, and satire. If you have ANY love of humor and good writing pick one up.
My offer, made elsewhere, to send you copies of books by authors whom you like or have heard of free of charge does not apply to Pratchett. My son has stolen all 30 of the books by Pratchett that I used to own.
There are three live action, low key British humor movies of his books. Also about three animated films. I love them all, but they are perhaps a little low key for marathons.
If you can pick up any of his books, particularly from 10-20 years ago, before he suffered from the decline that eventually killed him, PLEASE do so. Google Neil Gaiman's comments and joint interviews w. Pratchett. They are outstanding. Here's the Wikipedia on him. Please read it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett
Here's another profile: http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/writers-world-of-comic-fantasy-sold-more-than-85-...

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged