WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Ideas for SF/41 Improvements, Films etc. (Read 21753 times)
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 9:11pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 4:19pm:
Metaluna wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 3:46pm:
We need to move the marathon to warmer weather. And someone needs to finish writing Bruce's "If the Marathon Stops We All Freeze and Die" song, complete with hand gestures. We will sing it every year before Duck Dodgers so future generations will remember why we don't hold it on President's Day anymore.

And, if he have to move the date one week up to avoid a conflict with a religious holiday, so be it. What's more difficult, freaking out about the weather and whether there might be a postponment or having a WHOLE YEAR to get the date out in public?!

Heck, we got the word out that the Marathon was starting at 4pm rather than Noon in less than 24 HOURS, let alone 52 weeks!

P.S. And, I talked to Ian and he seems amenable to Saturday-Sunday (which we have done before), so that's not a huge issue.

Thing to remember is that the Somerville is a multiplex and the fest & thon only takes up 1 house. Summer starts in May for Hollywood so April is usually a slow month anyway.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 12:06pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

If April is too late and not "Wintery" enough, how about the first Saturday-Sunday in March? Sure, there might be some inclement weather, but, it should be much safer than 2 to 3 weeks earlier in the teeth of February.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:52pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I really don't care for Saturday-Sunday. I like the long weekend as it gives me a full day for preparation.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 4:02pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Frank wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:52pm:
I really don't care for Saturday-Sunday. I like the long weekend as it gives me a full day for preparation.   

But, a lot of folks don't get Monday off, either. I know a few folks who have missed the Marathon because of work and college. NO date is perfect.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 4:40pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 4:02pm:
Frank wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:52pm:

But, a lot of folks don't get Monday off, either. I know a few folks who have missed the Marathon because of work and college. NO date is perfect.

It's been a three day weekend affair since the 70's no need to change that.  Most folks do have Monday off.  Change it so that those who can't make Monday can now make it and those that can't make Saturday are now screwed.  That's just silly.  I have yet to hear a convincing reason for changing it and the cold or possible storm is not enough for me.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:12pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The 100-150 people who may be out $65 because they couldn't make the 'thon might think that a date change is in order (and that doesn't even count the travel and other inherent costs involved with the marathon). And, that doesn't even take into account the risk to their lives that dozens of folks took in order for them to make it this year.

Not saying this is a must, but a MUST-CONSIDER, that is all.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:03pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Haven't missed one in 40 showings.  Don't really see the need for a change, just better planning.  And please don't try and make ME feel bad about loss of money.  That dog won't hunt after what I went through.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 1:20pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I've brought this up a couple of times in the past, what would you think of as a bonus for early ticket buying you get a reserved seat?
Should be do-able, there are folks who get reserved seats for working for the 'thon, but this would be a way to encourage early ticket sales.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 6:56pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

I have attended Marathons through blizzards, -10 degree weather and with snowfalls that required a half hour to dig my car out, post event. My point is that all of these things occurred  in my own town. You know how to adjust if you are more or less at home. Welcome to Cleveland.
Frank is right on the money about planning, IF you  assume that the Boston is the home of the large bulk of Marathon aficionados. You lost me, but not five other Ohio attendees, well before the shitty weather arrived.
So, no New Hampshire attendees? Nobody from Worcester?
And microscopic attendance at the Festival?
I will be there every year in the future should you change the date to somewhen that I can be assured that I can plan on being able to make it. And it is extremely sad that people who were fans to the extent that they paid ahead, got shafted. Not by the Marathon, but by the change in the jet stream due to Arctic warming. Can't cure Mother Nature, but can adjust.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:42pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Well folks with tickets who could not attend are being offered 1/2 price off SF41.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 3:06pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

How about a FILM suggestion?

Proposed: NO films from the 1950s next year -- UNLESS they have never been shown at the Marathon before?

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 4:00pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 3:06pm:
How about a FILM suggestion?

Proposed: NO films from the 1950s next year -- UNLESS they have never been shown at the Marathon before?

That certainly leaves quite a few 50's films to be shown, most notably Creature From The Black Lagoon but some good ones like Magnetic Monster, Man In The White Suit, Invisible Invaders, Target Earth. Plus interesting schlock like The Twonky or Tobor The Great.

Some neglected superhero films like The Rocketeer, The Watchmen, Dredd.

Godzilla Final Wars
The Mist

Shaolin Soccer (a stretch for sci-fi)
Sunshine
Space Battleship Yamato (live action)
Chronicle

Just throwing titles out at random right now but its a start.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 5:52pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Or at least all but the last 10 minutes.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 7:46pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

pogo wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 5:52pm:
Mr. Peabody & Sherman
[img]
Or at least all but the last 10 minutes.

What happens? Does it go all LEGO MOVIE meta at the end?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2