WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

STAYING AWAKE for 24Hours - Suggestions (Read 9591 times)
Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:54pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours!  Update

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep!

First, I know that it is NOT A MUST to stay awake. This is a guide
IF
you wish to try (Only an IF). Second, yes, know your body. If you can take gallons of coffee and greasy spicy food at 4am - go for it. But, these are some tried and true suggestions. Just, suggestions....

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz and drinking coffee was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites of mine, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe, something warm for breakfast. And, a rare cup of coffee. Otherwise, it's pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this post is about SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this post is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. JOIN IN! If the audience ritually claps - CLAP ALONG! Rice Chex, Wheat Chex? Make a choice and proclaim it to everyone! When a 'Mark' comes on screen or the name is uttered - you know what to do. Cheer on contestants in the contests! Give thanks to Garen, Ian, Frank, Major Tom and the many others who help put on the show, especially the Somerville Staff. All of this not only helps the spirit of the Event, but, it also helps YOU become involved and raise your enthusiasm level!

Most important tip:

7. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance where it makes sense; I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. GUARANTEED. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will! I WILL!"

That's it. 7 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Major Tom quip again!!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 10:38pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:54pm:
When a 'Mark' comes on screen or the name is uttered - you know what to do.

You're a monster.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 12:21pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

bump

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 2:21pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

i regret not having a "MARK" projection device this year.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:58am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Another year, another reminder. Hey, we got zombies on the schedule this year! Let's all be awake all night long!

My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours!  Update

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep!

First, I know that it is NOT A MUST to stay awake. This is a guide
IF
you wish to try (Only an IF). Second, yes, know your body. If you can take gallons of coffee and greasy spicy food at 4am - go for it. But, these are some tried and true suggestions. Just, suggestions....

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz and drinking coffee was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites of mine, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe, something warm for breakfast. And, a rare cup of coffee. Otherwise, it's pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this post is about SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this post is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. JOIN IN! If the audience ritually claps - CLAP ALONG! Rice Chex, Wheat Chex? Make a choice and proclaim it to everyone! When a 'Mark' comes on screen or the name is uttered - you know what to do. Cheer on contestants in the contests! Give thanks to Garen, Ian, Frank, Fran and the many others who help put on the show, especially the Somerville Staff. All of this not only helps the spirit of the Event, but, it also helps YOU become involved and raise your enthusiasm level!

Most important tip:

7. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance where it makes sense; I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. GUARANTEED. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will! I WILL!"

That's it. 7 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or witty quip again!!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 12:00pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Alternate suggestions, based on 35 years at various Marathons.

1. Not a disagreement but an additional view to LA's. I agree completely that being a passive receptor = sleep. Also that free unplanned consumption of food and drink will negatively affect wakefulness.
And if you can make it through you will have the joy that,  "You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or witty quip again!!"
2. There are, however,  good reasons to sleep. Personally, I live several hours drive from one Marathon (Columbus) that I attend. If I walked out of the Drexel theater after having been awake for 30 hours, I would probably die driving home. As I might if I turned the car wheel over to a fellow Zombie. I am also of an age that although I have lasted, unsleeping, through entire Marathons, the macho ego boost of doing it in my senescence just ain't there. I enjoy a Marathon better by not forcing myself into abnormal behavior.
3.Sleep is insidious. If you doubt your power to stay awake,  Choose and plan ahead. That old favorite that you have seen five times and probably can get on Cinemax? Snuggle down and sleep.  If you don't, there is a very good chance that you will doze through those two films that you were really looking forward to.
4.  Check the schedule and plan ahead. If you make choices on the fly, even if you have been revived by a break and by walking around, you may make it through your third viewing of that creature feature just fine. But ten minutes into the sixth film of the day, the one that you were really  into, you will still be tired, and quite possibly go dead to the world. I walk into the theater with an annotated list of films. It isn't prescriptive. Let yourself be talked into changing your plan. But I always assume that choices made when I am of rested sound mind are probably better than those made after 16 hours in a comfy chair.
5. Whether you choose to sleep, or fall into inadvertent slumber, be aware that brain rhythms do not change totally just because you open your eyes. Once you doze, if you do not take active measures, you will probably go under again. Use LA's techniques to change your brain rhythms or invent your own. Personally, the fact that all three Marathons that I attend occur during cold weather lets me go outside and breath frigid air as a shock to my system. I also always take a washcloth and use frigid water on my face (and pits) to wake up.
6. You are not alone. Arrange with a friend or neighbor to wake you up after a period of planned (or unplanned?) slumber. Be sure that you were awake for that movie or event that you were looking forward to.
7.  Personally I treat food and drink positively. My own and friends' experience that food and even caffeinated drink can  put you under agrees with LA's.
I do, however, tank up on either caffeinated sugar pop or coffee toward the end of a Marathon as a means of staying awake through the last two movies and either driving home or (in Boston) navigating the MBTA back to my daughter's house. Even a sugar donut before the last film can provide a slight positive jolt.

Again. I do not disagree with LA. However, unless staying awake for 25+ hours is a positive experience and is something that you can actually accomplish, be a conscious viewer and plan your viewing and sleep schedules ahead.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2018 at 2:50pm by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 3:57pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Very much agree with Pogo's notes. As I state from the outset, my suggestions are for those who are trying to emulate me in NOT sleeping. And, as I also state - know YOUR own body and tolerences.

pogo wrote on Sep 4th, 2018 at 12:00pm:
Alternate suggestions, based on 35 years at various Marathons.

1. Not a disagreement but an additional view to LA's. I agree completely that being a passive receptor = sleep. Also that free unplanned consumption of food and drink will negatively affect wakefulness.
And if you can make it through you will have the joy that,  "You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or witty quip again!!"
2. There are, however,  good reasons to sleep. Personally, I live several hours drive from one Marathon (Columbus) that I attend. If I walked out of the Drexel theater after having been awake for 30 hours, I would probably die driving home. As I might if I turned the car wheel over to a fellow Zombie. I am also of an age that although I have lasted, unsleeping, through entire Marathons, the macho ego boost of doing it in my senescence just ain't there. I enjoy a Marathon better by not forcing myself into abnormal behavior.
3.Sleep is insidious. If you doubt your power to stay awake,  Choose and plan ahead. That old favorite that you have seen five times and probably can get on Cinemax? Snuggle down and sleep.  If you don't, there is a very good chance that you will doze through those two films that you were really looking forward to.
4.  Check the schedule and plan ahead. If you make choices on the fly, even if you have been revived by a break and by walking around, you may make it through your third viewing of that creature feature just fine. But ten minutes into the sixth film of the day, the one that you were really  into, you will still be tired, and quite possibly go dead to the world. I walk into the theater with an annotated list of films. It isn't prescriptive. Let yourself be talked into changing your plan. But I always assume that choices made when I am of rested sound mind are probably better than those made after 16 hours in a comfy chair.
5. Whether you choose to sleep, or fall into inadvertent slumber, be aware that brain rhythms do not change totally just because you open your eyes. Once you doze, if you do not take active measures, you will probably go under again. Use LA's techniques to change your brain rhythms or invent your own. Personally, the fact that all three Marathons that I attend occur during cold weather lets me go outside and breath frigid air as a shock to my system. I also always take a washcloth and use frigid water on my face (and pits) to wake up.
6. You are not alone. Arrange with a friend or neighbor to wake you up after a period of planned (or unplanned?) slumber. Be sure that you were awake for that movie or event that you were looking forward to.
7.  Personally I treat food and drink positively. My own and friends' experience that food and even caffeinated drink can  put you under agrees with LA's.
I do, however, tank up on either caffeinated sugar pop or coffee toward the end of a Marathon as a means of staying awake through the last two movies and either driving home or (in Boston) navigating the MBTA back to my daughter's house. Even a sugar donut before the last film can provide a slight positive jolt.

Again. I do not disagree with LA. However, unless staying awake for 25+ hours is a positive experience and is something that you can actually accomplish, be a conscious viewer and plan your viewing and sleep schedules ahead.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:17am

Lile   Offline
SF Rocks

Basically, know yourself. Don’t overdo the caffeine, eat reasonably and, if you have to, take a few cat naps. Good luck.

IP Logged