WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Rod Taylor (Read 4567 times)
Jan 9th, 2015 at 9:04am

kirok   Offline
God Member

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 9:26am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"The Time Machine" is a classic to be sure, but another Rod Taylor film is even more overdue for a return to the Marathon screen: "World Without End".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049964/?ref_=nv_sr_2

It hasn't been seen since the Orson Welles days of the Marathon and features a young Rod Taylor in an early and unexpectedly serious role. Another plus is it's in color, a rarity for science fiction films of the 1950's.

Quote:
Although the films had nothing in common except time travel, the H.G. Wells estate sued the producers for plagiarism, citing similarities to Wells' novel "The Time Machine". Ironically, the producers of the film made from that story, The Time Machine (1960), used Rod Taylor, who starred in this film.

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:21pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I know the last time WORLD WITHOUT END was searched for, only a pan&scan TV print was found.

But, I guess, a DVD could be shown if we don't mind hearing the fuming from the Projection booth.

Smiley

R_F_Fineman wrote on Jan 9th, 2015 at 9:26am:
"The Time Machine" is a classic to be sure, but another Rod Taylor film is even more overdue for a return to the Marathon screen: "World Without End".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049964/?ref_=nv_sr_2

It hasn't been seen since the Orson Welles days of the Marathon and features a young Rod Taylor in an early and unexpectedly serious role. Another plus is it's in color, a rarity for science fiction films of the 1950's.

Quote:
Although the films had nothing in common except time travel, the H.G. Wells estate sued the producers for plagiarism, citing similarities to Wells' novel "The Time Machine". Ironically, the producers of the film made from that story, The Time Machine (1960), used Rod Taylor, who starred in this film.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 3:14pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

World Without End is one of my favorites from childhood.  In fact I was at at a conference in Albany back in the late 80's when I saw that it was playing on local TV. I had not seen it in years and I went out and rented a VCR and recorded it in my hotel room.  I kept that copy until the film was finally released on VHS and now I have it on DVD. 

It is extremely low budget but a lot of fun.  We get our first glimpse of the giant spider that later shows up in Queen of Outer Space and Valley of the Dragons.  Instead of a time machine, the heroes simply use a spaceship accidentally traveling FTL to come to a stop in 2508.  This time the Moorlocks (Mutates) live above ground and the Eloi(humans) live underground.  The folks living underground are scientists.  The nuclear wars of the past have turned them into pacifists and living underground has weakened them to the point where they are in danger of becoming extinct. I recall that a search for a print yielded little. I would be up for seeing this on the big screen as I have not seen it in the cinema since the early 60's.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged