WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
INTERSTELLAR (Read 15740 times)
Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:35pm

ed symkus   Offline
SF Rocks

Saw it (in 70mm) and junketed it. Thrilling concept film, just about all of it pulled off magnificently. I found a couple of flaws, and so will you, and they'll probably be different ones. I forgive them. It's a film with some small, intimate stories as well as a gigantic space travel one, neatly blended together. I thought much more about it a couple of days after seeing it, rather than right after, and I've gotta say that I was profoundly moved. Of course, it helped to do a Q&A with both Christopher and Jonathan Nolan. Here you go: http://www.dailytidings.com/article/20141030/News/141039976

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 8:21pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

We're getting two 35mm prints of it, for those of you who want to see it projected on film.

We tried to get one of the 70mm prints, but scheduling conflicts got in our way.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 12:37am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Does this mean that the long promised 70mm installation is complete???????

David the Projectionist wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 8:21pm:
     We're getting two 35mm prints of it, for those of you who want to see it projected on film.

We tried to get one of the 70mm prints, but scheduling conflicts got in our way.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 3:37am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Whatever you think of the movie (it's pretty good), if it's playing in 70mm anywhere near you - Make The Drive!

There won't be many more movies shot and shown that way (a travesty, but, a sad reality for now).

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 11:07am

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Nov 26th, 2014 at 3:37am:
There won't be many more movies shot and shown that way (a travesty, but, a sad reality for now).

Not true.  Tarantino is shooting his latest in 65, & intends to release it fairly wide on 70mm.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2014 at 6:54pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

did an actor look at their watch and see it running backwards? did they then deduce "i'm going backwards in time"? if so i think i'll pass.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2014 at 12:20am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

A difficult review for me to write. INTERSTELLAR is a mess. But, it's a big beautiful mess. Nolan's film has some of the greatest scenes I have ever seen in an SF movie. But, the critical side of me can't deny that it is overlong (that length will make it a difficult fit in a future marathon), full of wooden dialogue and has plot machinations that befuddle even the most hardcore Sci-fi fan and science nerds like myself.

The scale and ambition are vast. A world class astro-physicist (Kip Thorne) was key to the film's production and it shows. This is amongst the most hardcore SCIENCE fiction motion pictures yet made. Relativity, gravity, space & time travel and more are presented on an intelligent and reasonably realistic level (even Thorne admits that some of it is extrapolated theory - informed, but still speculation). The father-daughter relationship is genuinely moving. The special effects are superb and realistic looking (I love that Nolan still insists on practical effects whenever possible, using CGI as a tool and not a crutch as so many do). The robot computer is great, and the cast is mostly fine (Matt Damon lumbers, and Casey Affleck seems oddly uneasy). The sound is powerful, pain-stakingly produced and LOUD (I know there have been many complaints about the sound mix - but, it's the way Nolan wanted it, and I liked it for the most part, with some quibbles). The 70mm looks fantastic on the big screen when projected on FILM - you will never see black levels this deep, shadow detail so defined, nor skin tones this natural-looking in any digitally shot and projected movie with current digital cameras and DCP projection.

Unfortunately, the length isn't substantiated by the screenplay. Despite all those minutes, the plotting isn't always clear, nor certainly focused and concise. Sometimes, too much is just too much. And, yes, there are several trite lines that even the very active soundtrack can't cover up. Also, in a movie with so much sober scientific discussion why did there have to be a Kirk vs. Alien-style knockdown dragout fight (not to mention a number of dubious character actions in the last 1/3 of the movie)? It's as if the Nolan brothers felt their story needed more 'conflict', but, you have the Survival of the species at stake - isn't that enough? Finally, without delving too much into Spoilers, I think there is a crucial disconnect in the main plot point - Why would the mysterious beings behind the plan concoct one that is so labyrinthine if their intent was to help mankind? In 2001 you could understand that the mysterious beings were sort of setting up a series of signals and hoops for mankind to eventually comprehend and conquer, but, why the byzantine maze here?

Still, in the end, I felt as energized and emotionally wrought as I had been with any SF film I've seen in years. I love the movie, but, it's not blind love. I see the flaws. It's sort of like that Gargantua Black Hole that plays such an important role in the movie: I got sucked in by its mysterious and powerful force, even if at least part of me was trying to resist and grab on to that event horizon in order not to fall completely in. This black hole won, but, with some major asterisks and my escape pod at the ready.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2014 at 5:48pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Loved the film myself.
Incredible visuals, sweeping epic scope, yet still a story about people you care about.

Audiences seem to agree too, it actually went UP in ticket sales from the week before this week.
Also something kind of unique, some theaters were offering an unlimited viewing ticket for it allowing you to go back and see it as many times as you wanted.

Marathon worthy?
Certainly, heck by February we might even be able to get a 70MM print.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 2:12pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Methinks a bit too soon for SF40.  I liked it a lot but the acting is very uneven and it is overly long by at least 30 minutes. A visual feast.  Hard science to be sure but more than a bit of gobbledygook blended into the tale.  I would like to give it some distance before seeing it at the thon.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 3:25pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

it's at the discount second run theater up the street from me. i'll see it next tuesday matinee for 3 bucks. it will likely be some discussion at the marathon. i'll review here pre marathon.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 3:31pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

kirok wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 3:25pm:
it's at the discount second run theater up the street from me. i'll see it next tuesday matinee for 3 bucks. it will likely be some discussion at the marathon. i'll review here pre marathon.

It would be nice someday to show INTERSTELLAR in 70mm at the Marathon. The length is an issue, but, it's worthy.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:53pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

it was good. the robots stole the show. matt damon, who saw that coming? i had to look at the credits to see ellen burstyn, God has she gotten old. i had some trouble with the physics. the strong gravity field does slow down time but tidal effects would rip you in 2.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 9:18pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

matt damon's awakening scene was a low point and may have been the reason this was a good movie as opposed to a very good movie.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 10:50pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

I agree with Kirok, the movie belonged to the robots.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 1:33am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The longer its simmered in my head, the more and more I think of INTERSTELLAR fondly. Not only the best sci-fi film of the year (sorry, SNOWPIERCER and EDGE OF TOMORROW), but, one of the year's best movies, period.

A true Space Opera. And, the score should win an Oscar (but won't).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2