WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Bill Watterson 1958-2014 (Read 8654 times)
Aug 31st, 2014 at 8:42pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Quote:
comicsreporter:

Bill Watterson, the creator of ”Calvin and Hobbes,” the tender and sage comic strip starring a young boy and his pet tiger that is read by 355 million people around the world, died in his sleep on Friday night at his home in Santa Rosa, Calif. He was 56 years old.

The cause of death was colon cancer, said Paige Braddock, creative director for Bill Watterson Creative Associates.

Mr. Watterson drew ”Calvin and Hobbes” for nearly half a century. He swore that no one else would ever draw the comic strip and he kept his word. For years he drew ”Calvin and Hobbes” with a hand tremor. He finally put down his pen when he received a diagnosis of colon cancer after abdominal surgery in November.

Lynn Johnston, a friend of Mr. Watterson and the creator of ”For Better or for Worse,” recalled something Mr. Watterson told her as she sat in the hospital with him last year: ”You control all these characters and the lives they live. You decide when they get up in the morning, when they’re going to fight with their friends, when they’re going to lose the game. Isn’t it amazing how you have no control over your real life?” But, Ms. Johnston said, ”I think, in a way, he did.”

Did he do any science fiction? You bet!
SPACEMAN SPIFF!

The TRANSMOGRIFIER!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2014 at 10:10pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

This is very difficult.
I do not question Mr. Fineman (Tom) posting Watterson's death, but I can find no mention of it that does not go back to the comicsjournal.com announcement.
Also, unless he moved within the last year, his home was in Cleveland Hts., Ohio.
For anyone who wants to celebrate Watterson, there was a well done documentary, Thank You Mr. Watterson that was still on the Festival circuit six months ago.
Other than Walt Kelly, Watterson was(?) the comic artist who I loved the most.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2014 at 9:07am by pogo »  

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 7:50am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I can't find any mention of this either, even on Comics Journals site and Comics Reporter which is where it was credited.
No mention of a hoax either, perhaps its just a misunderstanding of a new report?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 3:08am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Sorry SF fans, it looks like I have been the dupe of another internet rumor. I'm glad to say that Mr. Watterson is, in the words of Monty Python, not dead yet.  I was tempted to post a picture of Calvin pissing on a computer but, in the words of former President Nixon, "That would be wrong!".

So much for the internet. At least I can rest assured of the legitimacy of this mutant spider dog caught on film from i09.
http://io9.com/behold-the-adorable-horror-of-the-mutant-giant-spider-d-163070367...

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:42am

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

In other news, the delightful BETTY WHITE has also not 'dyed'!!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/la-et-mg-betty-white-alive-not-dead-de...

R_F_Fineman wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 3:08am:
Sorry SF fans, it looks like I have been the dupe of another internet rumor. I'm glad to say that Mr. Watterson is, in the words of Monty Python, not dead yet.  I was tempted to post a picture of Calvin pissing on a computer but, in the words of former President Nixon, "That would be wrong!".

So much for the internet. At least I can rest assured of the legitimacy of this mutant spider dog caught on film from i09.
http://io9.com/behold-the-adorable-horror-of-the-mutant-giant-spider-d-163070367...

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 4:53pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

One more comment, and a correction.
Above, I gave the wrong title for the Watterson documentary. It is Dear Mr. Watterson. and is now available on Netflix.

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged