WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Richard Attenborough R.I.P. (Read 3570 times)
Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:42pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH R.I.P.. Much of the attention has gone his direction of GHANDI and his performances in the JURASSIC PARK films. Nice work, but, for me, his defining pieces are elsewhere. As an Actor and Producer on SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON, one of the creepiest films you will see. And, the lovely Direction of SHADOWLANDS with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. A memorable piece on aging and loss.

JURASSIC PARK has played at the Marathon, but the mediocre sequel, THE LOST WORLD hasn't. Everyone always talks about how GHANDI beat E.T. for Best Picture that year. But, to me, the most ridiculous award that night was GHANDI beating BLADE RUNNER for Art Direction/Set Decoration. Has ANY film had more influence on the look of cinema over the past three decades as BLADE RUNNER?? GHANDI mainly took existing locations and dressed them up. Nice honorable details, but, BLADE RUNNER!!?

Mr. Attenborough will be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZsu9FF8l8

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 10:13pm

David the Projectionist   Offline
The Living Dinosaur at
the Somerville Theatre

L.A. Connection wrote on Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:42pm:
Much of the attention has gone his direction of GHANDI and his performances in the JURASSIC PARK films. And, the lovely Direction of SHADOWLANDS with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. A memorable piece on aging and loss.

Yes, Shadowlands is probably the best movie he ever directed; for once we agree on something!
     The best performance I saw out of him -- before he settled into the groove of playing every part the way he acted in The Great Escape -- is in an all-but-forgotten movie called The Angry Silence, which was made by his production company, Beaver Films (which also produced the also all-but-forgotten Whistle Down the Wind, which is one hell of a film).

Quote:
GHANDI mainly took existing locations and dressed them up. Nice honorable details, but, BLADE RUNNER!!?

The Academy is famous for getting just about everything wrong.
     And it's spelled "Gandhi," Tony.

I have seen the future, and it is sucky digital....
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 10:45pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

I really enjoyed his very odd musical "Oh What A Lovely War".
Which seemed to star every name actor in Britain at the time.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged