WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
What was shown in 2024: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2025 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS for the big 4-0 Marathon! (Read 48396 times)
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2014 at 7:44am

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Not sure if you saw the BFI trailer I posted in the YouTube Goodness section.
Looks like a major event going from October to Jan with showings in cinemas, on TV and outdoor events. A couple of films we still have not shown are on the trailer and the fest might be a source for possible prints. It is after all the British FILM Institute.
Wonder if they're showing High Treason which was the British answer to Metropolis.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far.
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:24pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

I saw it, thank you. Unfortunately, the website isn't very informative of what they are showing, where, when and, most importantly, on what format - film, DCP or DVD.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Aug 31st, 2014 at 7:44am:
Looks like a major event going from October to Jan with showings in cinemas, on TV and outdoor events. A couple of films we still have not shown are on the trailer and the fest might be a source for possible prints. It is after all the British FILM Institute.
Wonder if they're showing High Treason which was the British answer to Metropolis.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 1:46pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:24pm:
I saw it, thank you. Unfortunately, the website isn't very informative of what they are showing, where, when and, most importantly, on what format - film, DCP or DVD.

da_Bunnyman wrote on Aug 31st, 2014 at 7:44am:

Yeah it is hard to find out specific stuff for the main area screenings.
This is the closest one I've found.
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/announcements/bfi-takes-giant-leap-s...

I found this page which seems to have the scheduled events for outside London.
http://www.watershed.co.uk/filmhub/bfi-sci-fi/

They have a nice video here of the opening outdoor screenings including Brian Blessed and director Mike Hodges at a Flash Gordon screening.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 9:11pm

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

Dateline Lawrence KS:

Tonight Liberty Hall in Lawrence KS is running two big bug classics: "Them" and "Tarantula"
http://www.retrococktail.org/cinema-a-go-go.html

In the future things will be making a cheesier turn:

Quote:
Cinema a Go-Go is back at Liberty Hall on Friday, January 17, where space is the place. We'll screen a couple low budget Italian-made sci-fi epics from 1965. In Wild, Wild Planet, a nutty scientist conducts weird experiments to create a race of supermen. This one's packed to the gills with futuristic cities, rocket bases, big-finned spaceships, sexy female spies, lumbering astro-zombies and an orbiting space station called Gamma 1.

In Mario Bava's classic Planet of the Vampires, a spaceship crew is downed on a shadowy planet and battles evil disembodied aliens. Some say the film's plot and visual design influenced Ridley Scott's Alien.

http://www.kansaspublicradio.org/latest/7931-cinema-a-go-go-returns-space-is-the...

While "Them" and "Planet of the Vampires" have certainly made their mark on the Marathon schedule, not so "Tarantula" and "Wild Wild Planet". Could this mean that prints of the latter two are out there?

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 10:23pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Unfortunately, the web page doesn't give format info. They could just be DVDS. We are aware of 35mm prints of THEM! however.

And, TARANTALA played as SF/5. It wouldn't be a 'thon virgin.

R_F_Fineman wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 9:11pm:
Dateline Lawrence KS:

Tonight Liberty Hall in Lawrence KS is running two big bug classics: "Them" and "Tarantula"

Quote:
Cinema a Go-Go is back at Liberty Hall on Friday, January 17, where space is the place. We'll screen a couple low budget Italian-made sci-fi epics from 1965. In Wild, Wild Planet, a nutty scientist conducts weird experiments to create a race of supermen. This one's packed to the gills with futuristic cities, rocket bases, big-finned spaceships, sexy female spies, lumbering astro-zombies and an orbiting space station called Gamma 1.

In Mario Bava's classic Planet of the Vampires, a spaceship crew is downed on a shadowy planet and battles evil disembodied aliens. Some say the film's plot and visual design influenced Ridley Scott's Alien.

http://www.kansaspublicradio.org/latest/7931-cinema-a-go-go-returns-space-is-the...

While "Them" and "Planet of the Vampires" have certainly made their mark on the Marathon schedule, not so "Tarantula" and "Wild Wild Planet". Could this mean that prints of the latter two are out there?

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2014 at 6:41pm by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 6:00pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

L.A. Connection wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 10:23pm:
R_F_Fineman wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 9:11pm:
Dateline Lawrence KS:

Unfortunately, the web page doesn't give format info. They could just be DVDS. We are aware of 35mm prints of THEM! however.

And, TARANTALA played as SF/5. It wouldn't be a 'thon virgin.

Quote:

You're right L.A., Tarantula has been shown and Wild Wild Planet's trailer used to show up almost every year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB3SszYjEmA

Seem familiar?
I've seen the film and it probably would go over well, it's one of those Italian sci-fi epics of that era. It doesn't quite have the budget or special effects to do what it wants but it tries anyway.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Oct 12th, 2014 at 11:03pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

First:  One from this year that I saw at a festival last year and which really deserves more of an audience here:  The Machine.

Second:  I didn't have time to do in-progress festival updates while out of town, but here are the sci-fi-y things I saw at Montreal's Fantasia Festival and Austin's Fantastic Fest this fall.  Some are probably more festival-oriented than marathon pictures, but it's worth mentioning that this was a pretty great year for science fiction on the festival circuit, especially in Montreal, where they had a couple of good programs that focused on this stuff specifically.

Automata - Apparently getting a limited release right now, it's a pretty decent "rebellious robots" movie with some of Antonio Banderas's best English-language work in years, mostly-practical effects for the robots, and a nifty supporting cast.  A bit slow at points, but not bad at all.

Cheatin' - The new Bill Plympton animated feature, which is all some may need to know.  A sexy comedy with a mind-control twist toward the end, although very stylized.

Closer to God - The festival should definitely look at this one, a high-aiming film about the reaction to the world's first cloned baby.  Pretty good, well worth a look.

Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder - This thing is kind of adorable, featuring kids whose scientist neighbor develops a chemical that allows one to break odorless wind powerfully enough to be launched into the sky.  Jo Nesbo is 3-for-3 with fun movie adaptations (although the other two were violent caper/thrillers).

Ejecta - Kind of a rough Canadian alien-abduction movie, half found-footage/half talky indie.  A few nice performances, especially by familiar character actor Julian Richings and Lisa Houle.

Goal of the Dead - Yeah, this nearly-two-and-a-half hour French zombie soccer comedy isn't playing anywhere, but I dig it; it's genuinely funny and features a cast of characters that regularly defy expectations.

Hal - A spiffy little animated movie that runs a fairly quick hour about a robot who takes on human form to help a grieving widow.

Kite - Fairly weak action movie featuring Samuel L. Jackson as a cop aiding the daughter of his old partner, who is seeking revenge while addicted to a PTSD drug that is doing damage to her long-term memory.  In very limited release and VOD now, has some nice moments but I suspect folks are better off sticking to the original anime.

Monsterz - A Japanese remake of the excellent Korean Haunters (itself a sort of cape-less superhero movie about a showdown between a man with mind control powers and one with rapid healing) whose characters aren't as much fun and which is burdened with mythology it doesn't need.  Still think the original would be fun to have.

Predestination - Currently scheduled for a January 2015 release, but given how it will probably go in and out of theaters quickly, should still be considered for the marathon.  It's an adaptation of a Heinlein story that stays pretty close to the source (it's like the opposite of all those P.K. Dick movies that take one idea and build an action movie out of it).  The Spierig brothers of Undead & Daybreakers fame do good work, getting a nice performance out of Ethan Hawke and a great discovery in Sarah Snook.

Real - An "entering the mind of a coma patient" entry from Kiyoshi Kurosawa, whom you can tell normally does horror, but has a little fun in 1970s sci-fi territory with added dinosaur.

Realiti - A very different movie from the New Zealanders who made Black Sheep, it's an okay "what you know is wrong" story.  Not really bad, but doesn't have a cool enough idea to make an impression after so many others.

The Reconstruction of William Zero - Can't fully describe this without giving some good stuff away, but it's a pretty fantastic low-budget about an amnesiac who has to re-learn everything from his twin brother using cutting-edge technology.  One of my favorites at Fantasia.

Time Lapse - A highly-recommended time-loop movie about a trio of friends and lovers who discover that the inventor across the way has built a camera that shoots pictures from 24 hours in the future and pointed it at their window.  Hijinks and extremely tight plotting ensue.

Wyrmwood - An Aussie zombie movie that throws "it is more miserable to be alive than dead now" aside pretty quickly for zombie-powered rocket cars and telepathy.  Funny and fast-paced, with some Mad Max in its DNA.

The Zero Theorem - Best thing Terry Gilliam has done in a long, long time; great-looking, good performances by Waltz, Damon, Thierry, and more, and deserving much more visibility on the big screen than it has received.

Zombeavers - Exactly the movie you'd want from the name "Zombeavers", with a good-looking young cast that also has a strong personality, a tongue firmly in cheek, and puppets.  For those who say I don't like "fun" movies, I offer this one which is a lot of fun because even the obvious puppets are well-used rather than a way for the audience to feel superior.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 8:05pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

Geez I'd forgotten about Zero Theorem, looks like it's not going to get a theatrical release, love to see it at SF40.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 12:03am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

da_Bunnyman wrote on Oct 15th, 2014 at 8:05pm:
Geez I'd forgotten about Zero Theorem, looks like it's not going to get a theatrical release, love to see it at SF40.

I got a theatrical release and got mediocre to rotten reviews. We can do better.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 7:11pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Would love to see Predestination.
Have never seen a decent rendering of a Heinlein story even though at least a dozen have been filmed. Don't hold it against this one that they've added , "Now, on his final assignment, the Agent must pursue the one criminal who has eluded him throughout time." (Wikipedia). Not an element of "All you Zombies", the base story, but translation from one media to another requires changes.

Note. One of my few  claims to science fiction fame is that when I met RAH at a book signing more than 50 years ago, and after I gushed about all of the stories of his (& his peers) that I loved, he complimented me mightily by saying that "You kids are the future.", signing my book (& then turning to the next person in line.)

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:09pm

Jay Seaver   Offline
Somerville, MA

To be honest, the pursuit of the bomber is a pretty minor part of the movie; I half-think the filmmakers put it in so that they could put an explosion in the trailer.  It's been a while since I've read "All You Zombies", but for a story that isn't inherently cinematic, this seems really close while still also being a fairly good movie.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 6:35pm

pogo   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio

Thars only two possibilities:Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are,or we're the most intelligent life in the universe.Either way, it's a mighty sobering thought-WaltKelly
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 1:24am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

For one of the obligatory 2014 film slots - SNOWPIERCER!

A. It's quite good
B. Bong's THE HOST went over well with the Marathon crowd
C. Most casual moviegoers, including a healthy percentage of Marathoners haven't seen it. And, certainly, few saw it on the big screen (if there even was a big screen option available where you lived since the distributor fuc#ed the release up royally)

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Nov 14th, 2014 at 8:08pm

da_Bunnyman   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks
Peabody, MA

And we're off and running.
Snowpiercer is the first booking for SF40

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Nov 17th, 2014 at 6:09pm

kirok   Offline
God Member

once again i will ask knowing that it will fall on deaf ears for "the book of eli". it's a well done post apocalyptic action packed kung fu, gun fu, sword fu, sup prize ending, cameo that will bring the house down. it is not an overbearingly religious movie.

PANTS UP. DON'T LOOT.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4