WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

MENHAHEM GOLAN : RIP (Read 3501 times)
Aug 8th, 2014 at 8:12pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

Menahem Golan, one half the Golan-Globus team that made Cannon films has passed on. Cannon made everything from RUNAWAY TRAIN to the MISSING IN ACTION pictures to the DEATH WISH sequels to, yes, THE APPLE.

I got to work with Menahem for several months and it was...an experience. Challenging, exciting, maddening, invigorating, exasperating, difficult and more - often at the same time. He was truly one of a kind whatever you think of this films. While he may be best known for his action films, he produced a number of Award winning films both here and in Israel (something he didn't mind reminding you of!).

Besides the loveable cult film THE APPLE, Golan's other appearances at the marathon were his productions of LIFEFORCE and the remake of INVADERS FROM MARS.

His movies may not always have been great, but his love of the industry was and so was he. 

Shalom, Menahem.

Cry

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 11:49pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I always looked forward to a Cannon Film Golan-Globus production.  Many of the films were a last breath of the funk and junk I grew up watching at the drive-in.  In addition to all of the sci-fi. horror, action cheese, his production company produced one of my all time favorite high-end bad films: Tough Guys Don't Dance.  Yes, the one with the memorable Ryan O'Neal read. RIP, sir.  You provided Fran and me with many hours of mirth and entertainment at the movies, on VHS and on cable.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2014 at 3:19pm

Caleb451   Offline
NYC

He certainly lived life on his own terms. RIP.

Dinner break? What's a dinner break?
IP Logged