WELCOME to the Messageboard for the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival and Marathon!!
FULL LINEUP! Note Order: THE MATRIX in 35mm! ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 35mm! LAPSIS, READY PLAYER ONE in 70mm! DREDD, MAD MAX, PREDESTINATION, TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN (aka INVASION), UPGRADE, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, DEEP BLUE SEA in 35mm! and BLAST FROM THE PAST. Plus! A bonus surprise! And, of course, Duck Dodgers! More to come
SF MARATHON INFO LINKS
SF/49 Official Information Page Click here
Reactions to 2024's SF/49 lineup? POST here
>List of ALL Films that have played the Marathon. Click below
Click here for The History Of The Marathon/Festival

The Next Marathon will be held Presidents' Day Weekend 2024 at the Somerville Theater.
It will be preceded by the Boston Science Fiction Film Festival. For ticket info: www.Bostonsci-fi.com

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Sharknado 2 (Read 6741 times)
Jul 31st, 2014 at 11:15am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

"Sharknado 2" had me with the opening homage to the famous William Shatner "Twilight Zone" episode. Would it fit at the 'thon? Every year has a parody film. Every year has a gore-fest. This one does both better than most. Smiley

My review on
"Nighties of the Living Dead"

http://nightiesofthelivingdead.tumblr.com/post/93405106388

The "Army of Darkness" homage just had to happen as well!

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 8:06pm

L.A. Connection   Offline
YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

If this crap shows up at the 'thon I'm walking straight out the door.

As we've suffered through with TRAIL OF THE SCREAMING FOREHEAH, ALIEN TRESPASS and NAKED MONSTER, you can't Manufacture a cult film. They have to evolve organically. The Syfry sh!t is sh!t for sh!t's sake.

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 9:24pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

Completely on board with L.A. on this............ In the immortal words of Captain Picard,

No! The line must be drawn here! This far..... no further!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jln3mi0vfJU

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 2:58am

R_F_Fineman   Offline
God Member
Boston

I never said it was good. Wink My point was that if the lineup needs a shark snark fest, it's best to go with a fast paced one with over-the-top dialogue and silly special effects. Last year's "rediscovery" from the 70's should have stayed there.

This writer for "The Verge" hits the nail on the head here:
Quote:
I watched 'Sharknado 2' sober and alone

I watched the first Sharknado in a theater, drunk and surrounded by friends. It was impossible not to love, with every moment of laughter shared and amplified by a sold-out crowd of likeminded fanatics.

For the next one — the aptly titled Sharknado 2: The Second One — I couldn't wait for the theater experience. I had to watch it on its premiere night. The only problem: I was coming home late from an event. By the time I got situated on the couch, everyone on Twitter had finished their volley of one-liners and my girlfriend was fast asleep. We were also completely out of beer. Still, I had to watch it before going to bed. I put down my laptop and clutched a Diet Coke.

Big mistake...

Sharknado represents a moment where the internet-savvy portion of our culture reached its Singularity. It exists and is successful because we as a connected species thought the idea was so bizarre and brazen that we'd unite in our love for what everyone admitted outright is a stupid, stupid thing.

And frankly, it only works when we give into the meta world that we all made up for it. A world that only exists when we share the experience as a group, in theaters or online. And hopefully a little drunk.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/1/5959429/sharknado-2-not-drunk-not-on-twitter

21st Century Man
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 8:38am

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

But, the fact remains that this is a calculated and cynical way for a network to sh!t out garbage - and, by extension, ON it's own viewers - and having folks think they are "discovering" a cult classic.

You can't manufacture such things, they must occur organically.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 6:15pm

Frank   Offline
God Member
SF Rocks

I was not suggesting that you thought it was good.  Who could ever think that?  In my opinion, it is a bad fit for the thon.  These things rarely go over well at the Marathon.  Give me The Giant Claw or Teenagers From Outer Space, Humanoids From The Deep any time.  These are more apt comparisons.

I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2014 at 11:12pm

YaBB Administrator
SF Rocks

The SyFy's Channel's attempt to be 'in on the joke' has as much authenticity as this well-known try at being 'hip' and 'cool' by Disney:

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2014 at 1:01am by L.A. Connection »  
IP Logged